1:25 Chevelle drift wagon

SofaKing

Howdy folks! First build post here. Here's my current "priority project" that I've been working on lately. A 1:25 scale '65 Chevelle drift wagon.

ILolInj.jpg

AMT 1:25 Chevelle wagon, meet Atomic DRZv2. You two will be getting to know each other quite intimately very soon...

5LgZotU.jpg

This is about the extent that I documented the chassis build. If you really want to see me spend hours on end fiddling with little screws and sanding tiny plastic linkages, you'll have to join my OnlyFans.

PAcR6ug.jpg

I guess I didn't document the body build and better, but here it is mocked up with masking tape. The chassis now has all the electronic wizardry hooked up as well. It's is now in "functional" order, if only just.

dDBFfT7.jpg

And here it is with the inner fender wells resting on top of the tires. Not since my last relationship has crippling disfunction been this arousing.

m9W8JuD.jpg

Here's the front body mount I rigged up. Used a piece of 22 gauge steel for the plates, some m2 standoffs, and some countersunk magnets.
lJRlEAN.jpg

Same thing out back, just x2 to prevent the body wobbles. Here I left one magnet flipped off to the side as to show off the hardware I meticulously rounded the caps off of to snuggly fit inside the countersunk hole of the magnet above it.

wUfERNS.jpg

This is basically everything I used out of the model kit, plus some magnets. Fully stripped, primed, wet sanded, and ready for paint.

r8HC6Go.jpg

Here it sits in all it's primered glory. Mocked up with the magnet mounts for the first time to see how bad the inevitable clearance issues will be. Surprisingly, not very, until full lock. Then, unsurprisingly, very.

gEmx8Yl.jpg

Couldn't resist mocking the chrome painted back bumper up for that booty shot. :D

pT6hHbD.jpg

And finally, here's my reference for paint. Gonna try to copy the weathered flat blue look of Lucky Costas '66 Fury wagon. Not planning on doing much fancy with this one. I've got a base coat of Rust-Oleum navy blue drying on it now. Gonna slap another few layers of that crap on, then sand a few spots just down to the primer, then hit it with a flat finish clearcoat.

That's all I've got for now. I'll keep updating as progress ...progresses...

Thanks for reading.

2Beers

It's me again.
Caught up on your thread here.
Looking great.

I googled the chassis............Ooooof their spendy little suckers.
:laughing:

I'm just going to have to watch this one and dream for now.:laughing:

SofaKing

Caught up on your thread here.
Looking great.

I googled the chassis............Ooooof their spendy little suckers.
:laughing:

I'm just going to have to watch this one and dream for now.:laughing:

Oh, 2Beers, it's you again!

Hey thanks for checking out my stuff! Yeah this one's not quite so budget friendly, but once I saw Atomic offered an extension kit to take the chassis from a maximum of a 98mm wheelbase all the way up to 114mm, well I just couldn't spend my tax return fast enough lol.

I actually originally bought this chassis for the sole purpose of putting it under an 83 Camaro body I already had that required a 102mm wheelbase. But once I had the chassis assembled as a roller, I decided to go through my small stash of model kits and see what the longest body it would accommodate at full extension. Once I plopped that wagon down over it I had another one of those "oh shit, I can never go back" moments. Now that Camaro body is 99% fully assembled, wired with lights, primed and ready for paint. But now it's sitting at the bottom of my to-do pile while I focus on this and 2 or 3 other projects...

...Anyways, here's an update on the paint. This is after one coat and some 1500 grit wet sanding. It's a little darker than my reference pic, and I originally planned on fogging some lighter shades over it to brighten it up, but I'm kinda happy with the color as it is. I think I'll just add another coat, give it some love with a scotch brite pad, then hit it with the clear.
cirIvus.jpg

JonFoster

Did someone say "Bronco?"
I like it! I'm not a drifter (maybe in spirit, but not on the tarmac), but this is a sweet build so far. I'm a sucker for micro builds.

joe122

These are very cool little RC's!!!! Such a huge library of bodies in this scale!

SofaKing

Hey folks, thanks for the comments! Sorry it's been a while since I've followed up on this. I finished the thing like 2 weeks ago, but I immediately got lost in the next of like 6 builds I've got going simultaneously, and kept forgetting to update.

So here it is after another 2 coats of Rust-Oleum Navy blue, a bit of 1500 grit wet sanding, and some Rust-Oleum matte clear coat. I gotta say I'm pretty impressed with the flat finish on the clearcoat. There are loads of imperfections in it from dust and stuff, but that's just a result of my lack of a proper paint booth. Otherwise the clearcoat laid on nice and even and dried perfectly smooth.
paHeAgA.jpg

o2GWezA.jpg

Used a vanity tag from an old xmods rc car. Left the headlight buckets empty so I can drill holes for LEDs later.
ZRVwkWn.jpg

Used the water slide licence plate for the back bumper, and a silver sharpie to highlight all the raised text, emblems, and door handles.
rhPGXhn.jpg

9mJxLxd.jpg

I typically value function well over form in most instances, but raising the front end up didn't do nearly enough to solve the steering clearance issues to justify spoiling that stance (but God, do I still hate that word).
w6Dy2jO.jpg
pfmlVfd.jpg

A look at the final mounting solution. Atomic RC makes a magnet mounting kit specifically for this chassis, but the rear mount bolts to the upper shock support so I would've had to stick the rear magnets on the ceiling, which would've meant tinting the windows to hide the mounts, but I didn't wanna do that. So instead I made my own mounts out of some 16 gauge stainless scraps and some M2 standoffs.
iFajxfc.jpg

Here it is posing with the 'Burban.
d9yi14D.jpg

And again.
GbBslWz.jpg

And here's my collection thus far of 1:25 RC Americana parked up inside my new PN Racing parking garage. I'll have to post some pictures of the Bronco and Camaro later.
nqZww5R.jpg

And here's some running footage. Just some basic roundy-rounds on the bench. The drift tracks a bit of a hassle to set up and take down, so I don't break it out as often as I should. But next time I do I'll try to get some actual drift footage.

And that's about all I got. I'm already scheming about v2 of this body cause there were a few things I think I could've done better on this one. And the owner of my LHS is talking about commissioning me to build him one, so I might use that as an opportunity to guinea pig some ideas. But for now I'm just enjoying whipping this thing around my workbench. Also now that I have the chassis up and running, I've got a handful of other bodies in the works to swap onto it, so keep an eye out for them.

That's all for now, folks. Thanks for reading!

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Well that's just a load of fun, in a very tiny package. Love it! Maybe add a black wash to the grille to give that chrome a bit more depth?

SofaKing

Well that's just a load of fun, in a very tiny package. Love it! Maybe add a black wash to the grille to give that chrome a bit more depth?

Thanks Guy, glad you like it!
Yeah that's definitely a big part of the aforementioned "things I could've done better." Half of me wanted to do some research on how to black out just the background of it but still leave the grille itself chrome, but the other half was impatient and just wanted to drive the damn car already. So I decided to compromise and "finish" the car so I could take my time learning how to do the grille right, but still enjoy driving it in the meantime.

On that subject, when you say a wash, you're talking about scrubbing it with some watered down paint essentially, right? I've never tried that before. Any specific techniques or tutorials you'd recommend I research in particular?

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Thanks Guy, glad you like it!
Yeah that's definitely a big part of the aforementioned "things I could've done better." Half of me wanted to do some research on how to black out just the background of it but still leave the grille itself chrome, but the other half was impatient and just wanted to drive the damn car already. So I decided to compromise and "finish" the car so I could take my time learning how to do the grille right, but still enjoy driving it in the meantime.

On that subject, when you say a wash, you're talking about scrubbing it with some watered down paint essentially, right? I've never tried that before. Any specific techniques or tutorials you'd recommend I research in particular?
If you've already sprayed flat clear, you've done the prep. You can make a wash. 1 part flat acrylic black paint to 10 parts water usually does it. Brush it over the indentations, let it dry. Done.

SofaKing

If you've already sprayed flat clear, you've done the prep. You can make a wash. 1 part flat acrylic black paint to 10 parts water usually does it. Brush it over the indentations, let it dry. Done.
Okay cool, I didn't put any clear on the grille, but I will. Looks like I'll be ordering some acrylic paints as well. Any brands you recommend I look for or avoid? And should I clearcoat over it after the wash as well, or is that unnecessary?