1951 Ford F-150 Resto-Mod

Carnitas

Thanks for sharing this video. It?s awesome to see your process. I watched some of your other videos on vacuum forming... really great content! I?ve been thinking about giving it a shot, as I start to build more complicated geometries. I see you?ve built a pretty nice table with a vacuum pump, but you used to use a shop vac powered table? Any advice on building and getting decent results on a shop vac table? I watched your video on forming roof corners. I assume that?s your shop vac setup. Looks like it worked fine, but a little more fussing involved to get a good shape. That?s exactly where I?m at now: trying to decide how I want to make some big lazy roof corners.

wesmade

Supporting Member
Thanks for sharing this video. It?s awesome to see your process. I watched some of your other videos on vacuum forming... really great content! I?ve been thinking about giving it a shot, as I start to build more complicated geometries. I see you?ve built a pretty nice table with a vacuum pump, but you used to use a shop vac powered table? Any advice on building and getting decent results on a shop vac table? I watched your video on forming roof corners. I assume that?s your shop vac setup. Looks like it worked fine, but a little more fussing involved to get a good shape. That?s exactly where I?m at now: trying to decide how I want to make some big lazy roof corners.

A shop vac will get good results, but not great ones. With a vacuum pump. You can get crisper corners and will show details much better. However, if you plan ahead you can make a shop vac table with provisions to make it a vacuum table later on.

With a shop vac, you can heat up and work the part even after it?s pulled. With a vacuum pump, you pretty much get one shot. However, if you do it right that one shot is all you need.

Wes

Mr Beanos

Supporting Member
Thanks for sharing Wes ::2thumbs

Can i ask you why did you build the bonnet with wood instead of vaccum formed styrene?

Frederik

Supporting Member
That was an extremely interesting video to watch, I could watch this type of video forever. It is like a sped up building encyclopedia. In a way it reminds me of the wooden body build video from Headquake, but with voice over :) thank you so much for taking the time to document the process so well ::2thumbs I just wish it was even longer :laughing: But as I have just now discovered you channel, I see plenty of other videos, I know what I'll be doing now.

My noobyness will show with my questions, but why do you have what looks like two different bottles of glue, are they different glue types or are they for different applicator and reach different locations? Also what is the spray can, some kind of glue curing accelerator? I seem to recall there was an accelerator for CA glue when my dad used to do balsa RC planes, but I'm not quite sure.

wesmade

Supporting Member
That was an extremely interesting video to watch, I could watch this type of video forever. It is like a sped up building encyclopedia. In a way it reminds me of the wooden body build video from Headquake, but with voice over :) thank you so much for taking the time to document the process so well ::2thumbs I just wish it was even longer :laughing: But as I have just now discovered you channel, I see plenty of other videos, I know what I'll be doing now.

My noobyness will show with my questions, but why do you have what looks like two different bottles of glue, are they different glue types or are they for different applicator and reach different locations? Also what is the spray can, some kind of glue curing accelerator? I seem to recall there was an accelerator for CA glue when my dad used to do balsa RC planes, but I'm not quite sure.

You have plenty of videos to watch for sure. The bottle with the needle is a solvent. It basically melts the two pieces and they form as one when they harden back up. It takes some time, so I use CA glue to hold the part in place. The spray is an accelerator. The CA also acts as a backer to the joint to strengthen it. Everyone starts somewhere, there is always time to answer questions.

Wes

wesmade

Supporting Member
I was able to make a little more progress. I?m getting to the phase where time spent is a greater than items getting checked off the list. It?s amazing how much time the final details take.

d68e662e82217a7691feee499ead3754.jpg
0fe1707d1f1bc165362976876a4d4b79.jpg
e0950be05e2a6e113d2b2321c87132a1.jpg
454a7cbf38b2192be2813f938ed2eff2.jpg

c09447b096a9518a8a9bff2c4a77d3ca.jpg
63a8604f6f9869a0ee53e20126fe073f.jpg
e6d3b34d889bfd8420e0b3c7088dd0cd.jpg
552c41268baf933f2f532006fff1cb2d.jpg
48f69210d9d2739da6f415fea7faf374.jpg

Wes

wesmade

Supporting Member
The chassis, running gear and electronics are sorted. I still need LEDs but I consider that part of the body. Big thanks to Scott Lempert for the top on the 1:3 planetary gearbox. It took a custom spacer for the driveshaft but it was worth it.

The customer wanted a Spektrum radio so I picked up a DX5C. Never ran Spektrum but it wasn?t too bad binding and setting up. The Hobbywing ESC/motor combo does a great job spinning those big back tires.

8523a5cc3e6436dfad5c74ae2e7c5484.jpg

Wes

wesmade

Supporting Member
Finally got the flocking in so I can finish up this build. I also got the chrome bits glued in place. Next hurdle will be flames on the hood along with a painted Ford logo on the tailgate.

335633b095bc6d3c59ad2ae96f9128ed.jpg
ddacf9187ef6aa3cac210b333e61c027.jpg
2e09900324269509e2d85598a70994c0.jpg
144ecc5c3b62b9698355bb80480ef48d.jpg
02368a69878b2bae9ab01b589a3d040b.jpg
c390f2ea252f1f8d6a08c4b0bc36056b.jpg
15eda8e8fffa354c1c839b8da736f0dd.jpg

Wes

Lem

That looks awesome :coolred:

May i ask what exact color the yellow is? That ould be a perfect fit for my Hans Exner version

wesmade

Supporting Member
The color is by Rustoleum it?s their automotive and it?s just called gloss yellow. However, I wouldn?t recommend it. Had a bad reaction to a clear coat on the dash and had to scrap it and start over. Lucky it?s shiny enough without clear coat.

Wes

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
This is a real amazing feat you've done here sir... Just craftsman level work, and it's really nice to look at. Great work!