3D printer

Squirt77

does anyone have a good idea for a good starter 3D that wont break the bank and is good for 1/10 scale pieces?

SurlyBurly

Supporting Member
Mind you I don't have one... yet. But my own research into exactly this led me to the Creality Ender 3 Max. Well reviewed though the sentiment seems to be it needs a couple simple, printable, refinements out of the box.

Panther6834

Although more expensive than the Ender 3, my research leg me to the Prusa Mini (now the Mini Plus). The Ender 3 (now the Ender 3 v2, which recently replaced the Ender 3 Pro) was one of my "finalists"...but, after more in-depth reviews, and side-by-side comparisons, the Prusa Mini was the clear to and obvious, winner. People who have compared both have found the Mini to have far fewer problems, better community support...and, most importantly, to consider better manufacturer-provided customer support. It should also be mentioned that the software for the Mini is superior to the Ender's software.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place

SurlyBurly

Supporting Member
Although more expensive than the Ender 3, my research leg me to the Prusa Mini (now the Mini Plus). The Ender 3 (now the Ender 3 v2, which recently replaced the Ender 3 Pro) was one of my "finalists"...but, after more in-depth reviews, and side-by-side comparisons, the Prusa Mini was the clear to and obvious, winner. People who have compared both have found the Mini to have far fewer problems, better community support...and, most importantly, to consider better manufacturer-provided customer support. It should also be mentioned that the software for the Mini is superior to the Ender's software.

That's interesting to me cause I too considered the Prusa Mini, and it does appear to be excellent, but I ultimately eliminated it from the running because of the bed size. A 7" cube isn't impossible to work with, but it does preclude printing one piece bodies, which is a goal of mine. So much of what makes one printer better than another is entirely subjective.

Panther6834

That's interesting to me cause I too considered the Prusa Mini, and it does appear to be excellent, but I ultimately eliminated it from the running because of the bed size. A 7" cube isn't impossible to work with, but it does preclude printing one piece bodies, which is a goal of mine. So much of what makes one printer better than another is entirely subjective.
If you need that large of a print area, check out the Prusa MK3S Plus. Yes, it costs considerably more...but, it's probably the best 3D printer on the market. If/When I'm ready to upgrade to a larger printer, that's the only one I'm be considering (or whatever the latest model is). For print farms, you'll discover that's what many use, especially because of their reliability. Of course, they're not cheap...but, they are "the best".

SurlyBurly

Supporting Member
Oh I've looked at, longingly. I still think about it, in the quiet moments, when I'm weak. lol, but seriously I probably can't afford that. I might talk myself into an Ender 5 Plus, maybe.

SurlyBurly

Supporting Member
I know you can break jobs into smaller components and I've considered. Honestly thats totally pragmatic for jobs like that rifle, especially with lots dimensionality and intricacies, and would probably pretty decent for the scale RC side of the hobby. But for printing RC bodies, which are essentially five sided boxes with relatively simple and shallow details, I think getting large one piece prints will be better for resilience and durability. I've looked at the dimensions of and the slicing for some models and with a smaller print bed you couldn't get a cab or a truck bed for example, out in one piece. Which after some abuse and warping or who even knows what, amounts to more points of failure and more work. I really like the idea of getting an entire cab with fenders and front clip out in one contiguous print.

Panther6834

Before you make a final decision, I'd HIGHLY suggest you talk to people (which I have done) who've printed bodies, as you'll discover three things - 1) successfully printing 1-piece bodies, without deformations, isn't easy; 2) printing 1-piece bodies typically isn't recommended; 3) you'll discover that the great majority (almost all, that I'm aware of) of printed bodies available for purchase have been printed in multiple pieces, and are them closed together (either by the seller, or buyer. Even people printing boat hulls print them in multiple sections, and epoxy them together

This isn't, so much, about picking one furniture over another. More about the printing a 1-piece body vs printing in multiple pieces. Shiver routes do decide to go (selecting a printer, as well as how you will print bodies), best of luck.

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
One piece bodies off a printer isn't realistic in my opinion. And I've printed a few. Even the more sophisticated 3D printed body kits I've seen all come as multiple pieces. We're just not there yet, and if I'm honest, it's a lot easier to print a portion of a body that got damaged than it would be to re-print the whole thing.

SurlyBurly

Supporting Member
It's entirely possible, just maaaaaaybe, that you guys with your vastly superior personal experience and years of trial & error, just might be right. Maybe. That said it is something I want to try for myself and I guess I'll just have to see for myself. Besides there are other areas of the 3dp hobby I want to explore where the bed size will be a boon so even if against all the odds the guy who doesn't have any idea what he's talking about (me) is completely wrong, it won't be a total loss.

wblteen

I have had a Prusa mk2 for 3 years now and that thing is just a work horse. This year I wanted something bigger and couldn't wait any longer for the Prusa XXL so I bought an Ender5 plus. The fit and finish is miles behind the Prusa but it has churned out some rather nice prints. My recommendation if you get the 5 plus is to ditch their crap extruder and go with something more "name brand".

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk