70's Wilison Cattle Trailer

T

Tamiya Cowboy

Well this is a trailer I have wanted to build for sometime but it has taking some coaxing from my oldest son to get going on it. It is a 70's style Wilison cattle trailer they were made out of wood and steal so this one we are going to build all out of wood as once it is painted you can not tell the difference for the most part. It is made out of Aspen and Poplar and Basswood NO balsa it is all rabbited and wood glued and air nailed together..

Here are some picks of a trailer that is in really bad shape but it is the only one I know of so we took all are numbers from it..

This trailer is a 44 footer in length same height as any other new cattle pot but the belly on these older trailers is higher than a newer trailer..

001-49.jpg

002-54.jpg

005-58.jpg

Here is what we have so far I ran out of Aspen and Basswood so I have a bunch coming in this week to finish it off..

006-50.jpg

009-37.jpg

008-42.jpg

007-40.jpg

There is a fair amount left to do before I paint it we have not done any sanding yet but that will wait till all detail work is done..

J

jeenyus

thats really cool! cant wait to see the rest of it come to life!

T

TheHobbyGarage

now that is different, very cool and the attention to detail is amazing. :biggthumpup:

can't wait to see what your pulling it with.

T

Tamiya Cowboy

looking good :biggthumpup:

Thanks Chaser

Very nice work! Cant wait to see it finished

Thanks Cory..

Very cool!:popcorn:

Thanks Alan

thats really cool! cant wait to see the rest of it come to life!

Thanks Much Jeen

now that is different, very cool and the attention to detail is
amazing. :biggthumpup:

Thanks Much THG..

Ok guys i got some more done the last 2 nights.. I had a stock pile of trailer axle shafts but no housings so this is what I came up with so I would not have to wait for them to get in..

I took 1/2 alum tube and pressed the bronze bushings in the tubes and them made derlin blocks that fit around the tubes to give you a flat spot to bolt the brackets on too..

003-58.jpg

002-55.jpg

001-51.jpg

Also mounted the axles to the rear of the trailer..
005-60.jpg

And I made the plate that the king pin mounts to with the ski on the front of it on the nose of the trailer.
004-60.jpg

So that's were it is at right now..

And behind the Barn Burner..
006-52.jpg

007-41.jpg

can't wait to see what your pulling it with.

T

Tamiya Cowboy

Pretty solid looking build there bud!

Thanks Much

I wanna know more about the big red logger up top. :rock:

Sean :cool:

Flyer I built that some time ago I don't have a thread of it on this board but you can look at it here.

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=5

Ok got most of the detail done on the nose of the trailer. Ribs and tire rack and Porch Light.. The Porch Light is are family farm are brand "7L" has been registered for almost 100 years..

022-14.jpg

023-9.jpg

Got some left on the rear I have the light panel and mud flaps and ICC Bar also the rear door too..

024-10.jpg

Thanks Much Guys Enjoy :biggthumpup:

T

Tamiya Cowboy

Sweet, but I would still like to see video of it, even if it comes from your cell phone. ;)

Sean :cool:

We will see Sean..

I was able to get little time and got most of the back finished on mine..

I made the rear light panel and bumper and also the roll up door..
024-10.jpg

001-53.jpg

002-57.jpg

Tristin has also been building one for a member on another board "GUN" here is his trailer.

003-60.jpg

The sides come off for ease of wiring and painting..
004-62.jpg

Rear section
005-62.jpg

If there is enuff interest this is the state we will be finishing them to, to sell all you will have to do is add a few details if you choose and put running gear on it and paint it..

Now GUN asked us to finish his all the way we can do that too for extra we will see..

I guess if there is not enuff interest then these will be the only 2 we make..:confused:

Thanks For looking..

T

Tamiya Cowboy

Well finally I have got some time to do a update om the trailers. I have gotten mine all nut done still painting on GUN's trailer but his is drying now so I can start putting it back together.

But let me back up a bit and so the finish work before we painted them..

I finished off both trailers roll up doors by making tracks that the doors can go all the way up on.

002-58.jpg

003-61.jpg

And here shows the door up in the track.
004-63.jpg

Than i finished the porch lights for both trailers.
001-54.jpg

Then after all the finish sanding and filling out to the shop for primer.. I used a primer we use for doing painted wood work for new houses it is called Seal Grip it is water based and can be sprayed and also sanded like auto body primer.. I sprayed both trailers at once.
005-63.jpg

006-54.jpg

007-43.jpg

008-45.jpg

009-39.jpg

010-34.jpg

Now when I shot the red I taped off the rear end to keep the primer white but I spaced off the fact the roof was to be white to thats why they are this way.
011-30.jpg

012-27.jpg

And here are the finished picks as I forgot to take some of the brass work on the rear bumper. I used a set of my Easter egg bud wheels till my new wheels come in from Steve. I added Tc1cat's lights on the sides and the rear also I made the Wilson decals on the trailer and the grab bar on the rear I still have to get some heavy fishing line for rope to lift the gate.
013-21.jpg

014-21.jpg

018-13.jpg

020-11.jpg

022-15.jpg

023-10.jpg

029-5.jpg

Thats about it on mine Ill add more photos as I finish up Gun's trailer..

U

Ugly Duck

It's just beautiful! Needs some cow crap "weathering" down the sides for that realistic touch, but in it's new/clean condition it's a work of art!

alan

I really really like this! It makes me want to touch it and hold it. Seriously! Excellent build!:bowdown: Perfect choice in a flat nosed rig as well. Kinda reminds me of one of my all-time favourite movies:
convoy4.jpg

T

Tamiya Cowboy

very nice, wow.

Thanks Hippy

It's just beautiful! Needs some cow crap "weathering" down the sides for that realistic touch, but in it's new/clean condition it's a work of art!

Wow Thanks Much Duck.. I would like to weather it but I have never done it and I dont want to learn on the trailer..

I really really like this! It makes me want to touch it and hold it. Seriously! Excellent build!:bowdown: Perfect choice in a flat nosed rig as well. Kinda reminds me of one of my all-time favorite movies:
convoy4.jpg

Thanks Much Alan I am really happy with mine but I am even more happy with the one I just finished for another guy you know how it is how you refine your build the next time and that is what i did here are the picks..

Ok just finished up Gun's bull rack so here is the last little bit and the finished picks..

Brass light plate and bumper..
006.jpg

Running gear and MIER Alum axles..
008.jpg

Hitch pin and plate with shoe on the front.
010.jpg

Porch Light "Rocking R" Tire Rack and Wilson decal.
011.jpg

Finished Rear and Plate.
012.jpg

MORE COWBELL
013.jpg

014.jpg

Random Finished picks.
036.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

037.jpg

020.jpg

019.jpg

033.jpg

032.jpg

031.jpg

030.jpg

Thats it Boys..

alan

:rock: Great job! Nice little industrial farm area as well. I wonder how hard it would be to genetically engineer some 1:14 scale cattle..