79 Camaro Build

nomudpls

Hello all! I've been working on a frame/chassis for an onroad car. The first (last?) one will be a 79 Camaro.

As the Camaro was a unibody, i'll be mimicking the work of Art Morrison and The Roadster Shop who produce aftermarket frames for this era of Camaros. I shutter to think of how much plastic I'd waste trying to make a unibody.

Album (assuming I can keep updating it here, it'll be here)
https://imgur.com/a/8f8LOe6

7NpapdU.jpg

lxpB2nJ.jpg

Parts that aren't 3d printed:
M-chassis tires
WPL rear axle
WLToys front hub/knuckles
2435/2340 brushless motor
Micro servo
Latrax Rally shocks
Traxxas 34 tooth "pinion", random Robinson Racing and GMade gears

Ghostpig

V.I.P. Member
Yay, another scale on road build! Great start and nice looking chassis! Prints look superb.

What scale is this, 1/12?

And more pics please.

nomudpls

Thanks! I try to hide the overhang areas : )

I think it'd fall close to 1/12 or 1/14. Wheelbase is ~230mm, width/track is 150mm.

I'm working on a better motor mount now. Then we're on to getting the body mounted and circle back to firewall, interior, etc.

rvKbdMF.jpg

2Beers

It's me again.
Very well done .
My eyes are happy. I like..I like a lot.

Geeesh man, more please.
2Beers Fiver.....
::2thumbs:biggthumpup:::2thumbs

Frederik

Supporting Member
Hell yeah another on road scale build! I love it with the nice chassis, and that body looks awesome too.

I like how you did the chassis, is the rear 4 link with panhard bar? Nice idea for the front motor and driveline layout, is the shaft running under the motor direct to the drive shaft, or are there additional gears in there? Also that rear axle looks just the correct size for that scale.

I love mechanically scale builds, I'll be enjoying this one I can tell! Good job, keep us updated!

Frederik

Frizzen

Wow, i was already impressed with the chassis, and hoping we could talk you out of a few more details on all that.

Even this fresh, that body is already a looking nice! That's going to look sweet!

Wpl axle in a car tucked in the fenders is gonna be about 1/12 scale.

nomudpls

Currently reprinting the frame to work out the rear geometry. Who would've thought slapping it together would be a bad idea.

Very well done .
My eyes are happy. I like..I like a lot.

Geeesh man, more please.
2Beers Fiver.....
::2thumbs:biggthumpup:::2thumbs

Thanks! There will be more!

Hell yeah another on road scale build! I love it with the nice chassis, and that body looks awesome too.

I like how you did the chassis, is the rear 4 link with panhard bar? Nice idea for the front motor and driveline layout, is the shaft running under the motor direct to the drive shaft, or are there additional gears in there? Also that rear axle looks just the correct size for that scale.

I love mechanically scale builds, I'll be enjoying this one I can tell! Good job, keep us updated!

Frederik

Indeed! Parallel 4 link and panhard. The panhard mounts exist, the bar has yet to materialize. There are 2 gears within, but the bulk of it is empty. Ratio is around 1:3.5. Here's the cad/cutaway:
3rnkMmV.png

Wow, i was already impressed with the chassis, and hoping we could talk you out of a few more details on all that.

Even this fresh, that body is already a looking nice! That's going to look sweet!

Wpl axle in a car tucked in the fenders is gonna be about 1/12 scale.

Thanks! The body isn't of my design - it's on thingiverse. I made the mistake of printing it at 100% infill... and its walls are 2-5mm... printed in half it took a combined 90 some hours. Naturally I'll be doing it again with less infill and, hopefully, in more pieces. The thing is a complicated wreck from Meshmixer's viewpoint.

joe122

Wow, a scale custom chassis / frame for a unibody car!!! Very, very cool!!! Looking forward to more please!!!

OverlandRC

I just noticed the WPL rear axle in the first photo. Very nice, I wanted to do something similar with this Knight Rider toy I have laying around

Sent from my U693CL using Tapatalk

ddddd1122

There was once a blind man who had so fine a sense of touch that, when any animal was put into his hands, he could tell what it was merely by the feel of it. One day the cub of a wolf was put into his hands, and he was asked what it was. He felt it for some time, and then said, "Indeed, I am not sure whether it is a wolf's cub or a fox's: but this I know -- it would never do to trust it in a sheepfold."
Evil tendencies are early shown.
virtual phone