Back in the hobby... GAZ-69 class1 3d-printed build

Divi

Hello all! :)

I've been off the hobby for almost 10 years. Used to do some crawling with Tamiya TLT-1 driveline, and also did one scale build with CC-01. Now my son is soon going to get his first some kind of toy rc car (he's still just 1,5 years old) and watching all those cars in shop I got really badly hooked on crawling stuff again. :D

So what do you do when you get hooked, you start building something and ordering stuff.
I have 3d-printer so I figured its a nice way to start, lets see what we have at thingiverse and go from there. GAZ-69 is what I found. Since GAZ is quite small car in real life, this 230mm wide body is roughly 1:8 tho it fits better on 1:10 RC car chassis. I dont have any particular real car as reference, but i've searched for GAZ-69 pictures and specially custom offroad builds a lot.
Aiming for class 1 car with some crawling capability.

Lets just get to photos... Heres where we are so far. Model was quite bad, lots of weird stuff going on structurally, and the blocky fenders for example... Steering wheel you see here I have scrapped as I figured it was too big for scale. New one coming in 70% size.

Feel free to post any comments, critique, questions etc..

Its going to have 4.19" tires, possibly rc4wd wranglers. SCX10 axles with some upgrades, propably custom frame, coil springs, body will be hardmounted on frame and electronics will be distributed where ever is room, mostly in engine bay. Cooler will be receiver box I think. :)

rHOoZhw.jpg

rf4UBKG.jpg

OT33eU2.jpg

CNXy09i.jpg

6lRSpFB.jpg

K0rAlsP.jpg

jQQeA0S.jpg

THPenkp.jpg

TfUc7Bk.jpg

uHb7zkb.jpg

YkwMd9m.jpg

GjyxqHY.jpg

nPPdLit.jpg

JxSBPiq.jpg

t1czey4.jpg

fmLcLnV.jpg

K4Awz65.jpg

xqrZb8B.jpg

YXLiFnf.jpg

lnBzU8W.jpg

hCBHbT5.jpg

WR3eguL.jpg

mbpVlyR.jpg

39SkotH.jpg

Ui3yfdo.jpg

tpXNBGf.jpg

iDpvPSB.jpg

SmprBrW.jpg

j2oiQPF.jpg

Gasguzzler

That's an incredible start,beutiful job so far,definitely following this build

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

tobemodeler

OMG! You must have sanded a lot! Very nice srart. I [emoji813] your rid.

나의 Redmi Note 7 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Divi

Thanks for the comments guys! Little progress, but not much. Need to wait for chinese shipping on lots of stuff.

Heres what the thing will somewhat look like
LknkWlO.jpg

Frame building started, 15x15mm mild steel square tubing
WVgPVgi.jpg

JJFLqaI.jpg

Some detail for rear end, and gauge cluster also
ATZJFaU.jpg

Rear light buckets done, leds installed
hGoA9nX.jpg

Fg1Hb63.jpg

brb :)

Divi

Was checking out some reference pictures online, and figured out I'd do quick little evening project.
Co-drivers handle and map reading light is what I chose.
tThthh2.jpg

Handle printed, fillered, sanded, painted..
iN8vjod.jpg

Led :)
RRLHsOM.jpg

Drilling, gluing..
ZSwyS1g.jpg

...and small dome with 3d-printer :)
0uqVv5o.jpg

mVXvo6o.jpg

Its not going to be visible in daylight, but hopefully small funny detail for late evening wheeling :)

Divi

Took a small break, back at it again... :)

Made a cooler to mount on bed, and hide light controller inside it.
xvENnZm.jpg

Rear lights:
S9WDFH5.jpg

Front lights:
zWLW0bm.jpg

Antenna tube for the actual receiver antenna
ZJUAD4W.jpg

Made a bit nicer rear suspension mounts
lBjSUBG.jpg

Suspension mounts, cooler chest and laid some rubber mat on the bed floor
UcNmNRu.jpg

Rear bumper... I just welded some 5mm stianless steel rod straight to frame rails
jVg7qew.jpg

Made enclosures for rear light buckets and electrics out of aluminium
kjZ3pTn.jpg

Couple M2 bolts for tiedowns to hold couple 3d-printed MaxTrax
lO75faa.jpg

Then I took some 1mm steel sheet and used my bending machine (table and hammer)
0cfovd6.jpg

Cut it to shape
WBgTMOF.jpg

Welded back in one piece
tStjvOh.jpg

Cleaned up a bit with a flap disc
l2ooyvN.jpg

And it also got welded straight to frame rails so its not going anywhere. Mounted couple chinese shackles for scale look.
ComFv58.jpg

e0Uug1z.jpg

WFhNTSD.jpg

Divi

Impressive, to say the least! That amount of sanding really shows. Nice work.
Thank you, sir!

Seats went in today, also side step boards / sliders or what would those be called. For both I made mounts out of styrene to allow some movement and flexing. For side boards it looks good, they stay steady when the truck is moving but should allow small movement when leaning to rocks etc. For seats the bendy C-shaped mounting was bad idea, they are vibrating and moving way tooooo much, will re-do that later.

Also made transmission/driveshaft tunnel out of black styrene. It came out looking perfectly scale accurate, like some country man from eastern Finland made it in his garage middle of the night after couple russian vodka bottles. Most likely bent using garage door hinge side or 2x4 or something. Very uneven and therefore perfect. :LOL:

T9jBOV5.jpg

WBWI5vc.jpg

P2RW1xC.jpg

Made some mud flap hangers on the rear today, just some 1mm stainless from scrap bin.
vTK5h7q.jpg

I had already made some mud flaps out of bicycle inner tube, and laser cut some weights for them and etched our local forum url on them.
mVadjxK.jpg

Bigger wheels/tires came in today, these are 118mm diameter Fastrax swampers on 1.9" rims. Absolutely perfect size for the body. Unfortunately too big for class 1. Too bad the whole body is a bit too large, I'm guessing like 1:7 scale or something. I guess it will just be a trail truck.

B3SdxfF.jpg

Rim backspacing is spot on, they tuck in just perfect and have room to spin. Rear 4-links need to be shortened a bit, tire is moving too much to rear side when suspension travels in. I think the mud flaps look hella good too and swampers seems to be what everyone is using here on their 1:1 rigs so it looks accurate..
cF388Np.jpg

Tomorrow small test ride, if it goes well then I can finish building the 4-links and take the thing apart and paint the chassis, links, axles etc. Too much shiny parts there. Also bought an airbrush today, need to figure out some paints and washes and have a go with weathering. Too late to do full on rust job but I will add some brown and matte clear coat. To-do list also has windshield wipers, hub caps, hood latches, door handles etc small stuff that will add to the looks.

Divi

Happy with the test... It rides really stable, doesnt mind off-cambers at all, CG is low. Turns pretty ok, linkage geometry has room for improvement and ofc stiffnes because I havent cut tubes for them at all yet. Mud flaps looks nice when driving, both bumpers work ok keeping the body safe from too big hits. Front bumper is a bit bulky but I like the look, and at least it slides on rocks a bit.

Light controller is junk, need to make my own at some point. Seat flapping around in the wind looks stupid.

Divi

Long story short.... I was thinking the car could use some kind of rollbar so maybe the windshield doesnt break when I roll the thing first time. So I started making a cage.
TKnu1CF.jpg

fdawtfF.jpg

g5DuF1B.jpg

K3VrAiW.jpg

Hood latch system:
xFZfRYX.jpg

RD73kke.jpg

Then a bit of a disaster struck. I dropped the car from 5ft high shelf, obviously top first to concrete floor. I had not finished the cage supports on the frame side yet, so the cage got bent and body cracked in multiple places. Luckily the window frame stayed in one piece. I'm lacking photos for all this stuff because I got a bit pissed. Took the car completely apart, welded proper tabs on the frame to mount body extra rigid, fixed the cage and created proper mounting for it, through the body with bolt joints like 1:1 cages are done too.

The while the car was pulled apart, I made new front shock towers:
lcmufGe.jpg

a2SvOwD.jpg

I also integrated rear shock towers to the cage, now the metalwork looks like this:
y6C7EbZ.jpg

After the photo I cleaned the frame, painted it black (matte all around first, then some gloss mist on the cage to get slight variation.

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Loving all the hand fabricating. Takes me back to simpler, yet more complicated times in this hobby. Great work!

Divi

Thanks guys! It needs little touch up after I dropped it. :D
I get back to working with the body and detailsin couple days when the chassis is done. It will eventually have a bit more used and weathered look.

AndroidLV

Impressive build skills!
The only thing I'd do differently (ok ok, I lack skills to do the rest kind of the same) - I'd put some incandescent bulbs in front headlights to get that yellow light. Take a look on ebay for 5mm 12v or 6v bulbs, they're rather cheap.

Divi

Impressive build skills!
The only thing I'd do differently (ok ok, I lack skills to do the rest kind of the same) - I'd put some incandescent bulbs in front headlights to get that yellow light. Take a look on ebay for 5mm 12v or 6v bulbs, they're rather cheap.
Thats a great tip! Ordered some right away!

Frame is painted:
JgmuDJ1.jpg

Assembled, still missing the hardware to build final links:
SFvulQq.jpg

FvQDmx0.jpg

Painted cab from the inside, though it was too red and looked too clean.
fjJlfId.jpg

Also some paint lightly on the under side, it used to be all red but someone has put some rust prevention stuff there ;)
VyNyTA9.jpg

Moved mud flaps to body, and added some paint there to mimic lazy body painter :D
evDvWXl.jpg

Interior now
k9JV8As.jpg

Body and cage on the frame
KwldX0Y.jpg

Door handles added, liking the caged look
GlOHUrZ.jpg

Black frame and under side of body is just perfect, looks 1000x more scale
fB6R9RM.jpg

Bed floor, cooler, maxtrax and rear light covers back in place
vGjZpaU.jpg

0dJUV4z.jpg