Barbie Honey, I wrecked your Corvette!

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
I've still got a long way to go on the Ferrari but this came my way and so I decided to do a mock up mash up. Been feasting my eyes on Ford GT40, Lamborghini Muira, shots as well as C3 Corvettes.

I had been noticing how similar the wheel arches were on the Muira and the C3 and thought maybe I could make something interesting from a C3 shell. I sketched a few versions and made one I liked and then looked for a shell to work from. The 1/8 Monogram 1979 C3 vette bodies are not easy to find and I certainly don't want to hack up a good kit for this (nor can I even afford one). I made my previous Vette and Jag projects on 1/8 Monogram bodies that were already compromised and were cheap. Haven't seen much since then. I looked into a Barbie Supervette and found its dimensions were workable. Wheelbase 10.5", front track 7.5", rear track 8.025", length 20" and they are easy to find for not too much coin. Here's what I ended up with-a non working Supervette.

IMG_3466.jpg

The plastic these things are made from is rather thick and has lots of tubular posts to remove which required me breaking out my vibration saw and it cut through them like butter. I had to remove about 8 of them. The next thing was cutting away the hood since I am going mid engined with it. I was going to spread the front and just lightly flare the rear fenders but ended up slicing the thing down the middle to wide by .75" in the rear and 1.025" in the front.

Once I finished there I underpinned the 2 halves and started making paper templates and that's where I'm going to pause for a bit. I will refine things but get back on the Ferrari 512 to finish that up. I'm off from school and have things at home to work on but a bit more time to goof around with these things. No rush on any of it.

A mock up and sketch
IMG_3471.JPG

The GT40 influence is becoming evident too.
IMG_3472.JPG

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
For a minute I was thinking it would be Fiat X1/9 with that side profile.

I have always loved designs by the Bertone studio and have collected lots of images of their cars. It would not be surprising to find their influence in what I dream up. More details to flesh out on this thing and then set it aside until I get the Ferrari further along.

Frederik

Supporting Member
Ohhh nice! I had to triple check the before and after shape, I did not think that nice shape could be made from this body type Corvette! That generation Corvette is my least favourite one, but I see you chopped the rear fenders to reverse them, very good idea and turned out amazing along with the forward shifted roof and windshield. Also the chopping made it easier to make it exactly the right wheelbase :)

joe122

You have mad skills JunkGTZ!!! Your creations, while fitting them in while full time a school are just amazing!! Looking forward to seeing where this goes! Can already see the GT40 influence!

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
Thanks.

This is mostly fleshing out where I am going to go with this thing still. I will pause on this one soon and resume work on the Ferrari 512 because I would love to finish that one before I resume teaching in January.

In the meantime, Here's the latest. I am riffing on this and so it is subject to change as I go along. I've made the gap pieces out of styrene so that I could stabilize the two halves of the body and begin fleshing out the nose and the tail of it. I am trying to use up scraps and pieces both from what I've cut from the body and from other projects.

The red pieces on the nose are from the underside of a Jag E Type that was from my Fat Cat Speedster.

IMG_3514.JPG

I also replaced the paper of the radiator exhaust vents with styrene. I guess I'll have to make a radiator at some point. The headlamps are stickers left over from an HPI Murcialago body and are also place holders.

IMG_3515.JPG

For the back I re-used the tail cap, but inverted it and bored it out. I also added a 1/2" to the end of the body to give it a sleeker look. Still more to figure out on this. The spoiler is a place holder for now, but helps stiffen the styrene add ons.

IMG_3517.JPG

I mocked up the side pods in aluminum sheet, but the styrene piece on top is glued and will remain in place when I remake a better version of the side pods. I also redid the paper templates for the canopy. This is the one part that will stay as it is until I start up work on this in earnest.

IMG_3518.JPG

Frederik

Supporting Member
You are making that vette into an awesome supercar! I am really digging the side skirts you are making, and the red piece from the Jag is a nice fit in there. I like how your builds have lots of creation in them.

JMo

V.I.P. Member
This looks fantastic! Gordon Murray called - he wants his McLaren prototype back!

joe122

So impressed with your vision for these builds. Remarkable the way you repurpose parts, graft them onto this and have it look proportional and accurate!! More please!!!

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
So impressed with your vision for these builds. Remarkable the way you repurpose parts, graft them onto this and have it look proportional and accurate!! More please!!!

This looks fantastic! Gordon Murray called - he wants his McLaren prototype back!

Thanks very much. I am trying to use up scraps as much as possible though I am running through my sheet styrene pretty fast.

Went to work on completing my work up of the front and then fabricating the back. The front proved trickier than expected but I wanted to beef it up some so now it has a center brace.

IMG_3539.JPG

I remade and installed the side pods on both sides. They will be a different color when painted so I wanted them to be able to be separated rather than having to mask them off. They will be black along with the front air dam and rear spoiler. (Leaning towards a cobalt blue similar to the roof for the body.)

IMG_3542.JPG

Fleshed out the rear end more although it's a little squared off - more than I first envisioned. More to do.

IMG_3540.JPG

The split rear spoiler is not a done deal. I am trying to see how it looks. I might pare it down a little, but it is the general direction I am going with it. Originally I planned for something much more mild, but my concept changes some as I work things out.

IMG_3544.JPG

IMG_3537.JPG

I am noticing a bit of distortion with my iPhone which tends to make things look a little more stubby than in reality. It seems to compress things horizontally. I might try a dedicated camera for some of these shots.

IMG_3543.JPG

It's almost reaching the point of working on the canopy, but I really need to get back and finish the Ferrari build as well as the fixes on my other vette.

Frederik

Supporting Member
Very nice body mods again!! I really like how you repurpose the existing parts of the body. Did you swap sides of the rear lights bezels to make the outside curve inside? That's a clever idea, as usual I should say!

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
Very nice body mods again!! I really like how you repurpose the existing parts of the body. Did you swap sides of the rear lights bezels to make the outside curve inside? That's a clever idea, as usual I should say!

Yes picked up on the rear tail lights! I never liked the lights on the late 1970's C3's even after they added a spoiler. I cut off the whole tail cap and split it and then flipped sides because I am envisioning this with the exhaust coming out in the middle similar to a Ford GT40, and that created a nice shape in the center rather than just having a totally flat tail.

I still have to work out the headlamp set up. I was leaning towards something akin to the Lamborghini Murcielago and Gallardo set up but now pondering something along the lines of either the 2nd Gen Ford GT or the Maserati MC12. I'll be mocking that up just applying some black vinyl and then once I settle, pulling out the drill and cutting wheel. After that it's tackling the canopy which is going to be pretty challenging once I get to fabricating with plastic. That can wait a bit.

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
Pushing a little further. I was feeling like the back end was rather boxy looking and came to the conclusion it didn't meld well into the rest of the form of the body, but the solution was not to change the rear so much, but to make it transition better so I bent the side pods out to where the sides are perpendicular with the ground and that took care of most of the issue for my eye. I then went and further mocked up the back putting in additional venting to the outside of the tail lights, reducing the spoiler size slightly and flattening the angle of it as well. I also added little "bumpers" of a sort to make it a bit more finished looking.

IMG_3549.JPG

On the front I added dive planes on the the front corners. I will be doing more in the center.

IMG_3546.JPG

I also drew some headlight markings similar to the mid 2000's Ford GT and I like these the best so far. I may go ahead and cut those ports out and make the light buckets too.

IMG_3547.JPG

Overall it appears more balanced and I think I can move on to the canopy after I finish the front spoiler mock up.

Vette Top View.jpg

IMG_3550.JPG

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
I took the plunge and went to work on the light buckets and headlamps. I was toying with a couple different options for the headlamps since I am not going to make working lights. One was a square headlamp made from bicycle reflector but I wasn't sold on it. The second was using the chromed exhaust tips from a New Bright C7 Corvette I scrapped (that's where the blue roof comes from). I put some wearable jewels in the holes and wha lah! Me likey! I shot these at my hobby bench which I finally cleaned up too! It was a huge mess so it's good to know where things are and to have space to work.

IMG_3562.JPG

In addition, I did another iteration of the canopy lowering it in front and giving the front windscreen more curve. I will be working on that some more and eventually rendering that in plastic.

IMG_3563.JPG

Frizzen

I'm really digging the build! i didn't know that generation corvette had nearly that much cool hiding in it. Really impressed!

It's got more of a GT-40 or Ferarri look than i ever expected. Whale-tail spoiler might be happier a little shorter and full width?

Not quite feeling the headlight bucket shape though. Could you swing the leading edge inboard corner farther inboard? Doesn't look like it would let the high beams do much as it sits.

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
I'm really digging the build! i didn't know that generation corvette had nearly that much cool hiding in it. Really impressed!

It's got more of a GT-40 or Ferarri look than i ever expected. Whale-tail spoiler might be happier a little shorter and full width?

Not quite feeling the headlight bucket shape though. Could you swing the leading edge inboard corner farther inboard? Doesn't look like it would let the high beams do much as it sits.

Thanks. The Spoiler is still a work in progress and I just might try your suggestion.

As for the headlights, you are right about the narrowness of the leading edge, but the dilemma is trying to harmonize character lines from other surfaces. The narrowness at the leading edge tied into the outer dividers on the front there the dive planes originate. The buckets are mock ups for now and I might come up with a way to widen them and then maybe taper in more near the leading edge.

I'm "riffing" a lot like a musician on this one - as in experimenting and then tweaking when I find something I like so suggestions are more than welcome.