Barbie Honey, I wrecked your Corvette!

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
A Tale of Three Tails

Once upon a time there was a guy who was building a mash up of several of his favorite cars using a Barbie Supervette as the skeleton and he couldn't make his mind up about the tail of the car, particularly the spoiler so he tried different things and will try some more until one treatment strikes his fancy. Here's where I was originally going and this one is still in contention.

IMG_3575.JPG

IMG_3576.JPG

Then I tried something more conventional.

IMG_3578.JPG

IMG_3577.JPG

A whale tail type was suggested. Here is version 1.

IMG_3573.JPG

IMG_3574.JPG

Then another version of that type.

IMG_3580.JPG

IMG_3581.JPG

The whale tail is adjustable as in active aero in conception, but I don't intend to make it adjustable by any sort of electronics. Just by hand. I am also experimenting with kicking it out back farther and the fin pieces will likely be reduced in height by at least 1/8 inch.

IMG_3583.JPG

IMG_3582.JPG

Small Factory

Fancy-Walkin'
Looking at the first picture of this, and where it is now... just a testament to your skill and willingness to take time and experiment.

Frederik

Supporting Member
Nice fabrication again! I personally also like the twin flaps rear best, but I'm sure whichever you keep will be the right one to keep :)

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
Looking at the first picture of this, and where it is now... just a testament to your skill and willingness to take time and experiment.

Such a cool build. Personally I really like the twin flaps.

Nice fabrication again! I personally also like the twin flaps rear best, but I'm sure whichever you keep will be the right one to keep :)

Thanks guys. By twin flaps do you mean the first one or the 3rd one with the twin fins and whale tail? I?m working with the whale tail to make the fins sit a little lower. Right now it?s between that one when aluminum rounded wing or the original split spoiler. We will see in a few weeks. I?ll be refocusing my energies toward preparing for the semester start in two weeks.

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
This is so cool! Great build ideas for me.... morphing the styrene on the old hardbody. Great work!

rally037

Supporting Member
Also fan of the twin flaps/split ducktail, but the whale tail in its upright position, i.e. high angle of attack, is very appealing to my eye as well.

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
Thanks folks. I'm trudging on ahead now starting to build up the canopy with plastic replacing the poster board templates. I did more work on the wing and think I have it where I like it and can move on. I shaped it a bit more and lowered and evened out the fins.

View attachment 37916

I had some pieces laying around - leftover rocker panels from my Jag project and leftover drywall corners from some home improvement work.

IMG_3619.JPG

The perforated drywall corners were cut to become grills. It's PVC plastic and cuts and bends easy. In the front it will be black along with the center brace.

IMG_3617.JPG

I also used it on a rear vent where the exhaust will come out. I fashioned some tail lights too just as a trial.

IMG_3618.JPG

Then I took the rocker panel pieces and fashioned the buttress for the back part of the roof line. These are still not finished and will require some shaping still. I reshaped the vent intakes and then added some of the drywall perforated pieces as a sort of grill for the intake. Still some sorting to do.

IMG_3616.JPG

Here's a 3/4 view of the whole thing. Some progress but lots to go.

IMG_3614.JPG

Frederik

Supporting Member
That?s some nice save from old pieces! You have the talent of repurposing that?s for sure. I like the front looks, the perforated piece looks good bpth pn front and sides. I am less sure about the rear but I?ll wait for the final result since it?s hard to tell now in mismatched colors. I like seeing it take shape like this, even if all the shaping is not final, the silhouette is already beautiful. And the modified wing is nicely improved tooz Awesome work as usual ::2thumbs Keep it going!

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
That?s some nice save from old pieces! You have the talent of repurposing that?s for sure. I like the front looks, the perforated piece looks good bpth pn front and sides. I am less sure about the rear but I?ll wait for the final result since it?s hard to tell now in mismatched colors. I like seeing it take shape like this, even if all the shaping is not final, the silhouette is already beautiful. And the modified wing is nicely improved tooz Awesome work as usual ::2thumbs Keep it going!

Thanks Frederik - I am not entirely sold on the use of the perforated material in the rear and the intakes behind the B pillar. They are more or less place holders. Whatever I use will be blacked out anyways and I will give the exhaust port a chrome trim too. I just wanted to sort out the canopy to some extend before my semester of teaching starts up since my tie to tinker with this will be limited. These builds always seem to end up being more complicated to make a reality than I envision, but that's part of the fun with it. Of course you know all that!

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
man this build is gonna have me looking at every car now wondering what else i can try and make of it. awesome job !

Yeah - that's my problem! I see something and say, "hey I can make something out of that!" and the trouble begins! Problem is I have accumulated a fair amount of scrap junk waiting to be made into something. The wife is on to me! Having to learn to say no.

Frizzen

I'm either leaning Split whales or normal flat top Whaletail spoiler.
If you went with the Split option, i'd kinda like to see a small roof flap to give central downforce. The rears are in clean air with the center not doing much getting ditched for weight.

The pillars for elevated spoiler seem to go REALLY far forward.

Also since you posted a rear view, i'd really go with some round tail lights. It's looking like a low-production race car, it needs cheap 'pick it up at any truckstop on the way to next race' kinda lights.

This is amazing, can't wait to see more

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
I'm either leaning Split whales or normal flat top Whaletail spoiler.
If you went with the Split option, i'd kinda like to see a small roof flap to give central downforce. The rears are in clean air with the center not doing much getting ditched for weight.

The pillars for elevated spoiler seem to go REALLY far forward.

Also since you posted a rear view, i'd really go with some round tail lights. It's looking like a low-production race car, it needs cheap 'pick it up at any truckstop on the way to next race' kinda lights.

This is amazing, can't wait to see more

Thanks very much. I've waived off the rear spoiler work to work on the canopy replacing the paper with plastic (sounds like the grocery store clerk - "would you like paper (bags) or plastic?"). As I work that some things change in the process and that will eventually affect the shapes at the rear. The reason for the forward reaching supports was to cover the body mounting posts sticking up on the rear deck. I'm not completely sold on that but with some tweaks and reducing the size some, it might work. I am hoping to do more on the canopy today and might post some shots if I get it sorted enough.

I like your comment about the tail lights. I am still not sure where I will go on that. Part of me wants to retain some vestiges of corvette features even though I will not be putting any badges on this. I like the idea of hinting at it's origins without being explicit. That said, history is laden with race cars using tail lights from busses and trucks and that is where a little budget friendly solution won't hurt the speed.

joe122

Thanks folks. I'm trudging on ahead now starting to build up the canopy with plastic replacing the poster board templates. I did more work on the wing and think I have it where I like it and can move on. I shaped it a bit more and lowered and evened out the fins.

View attachment 37916

I had some pieces laying around - leftover rocker panels from my Jag project and leftover drywall corners from some home improvement work.

View attachment 37919

The perforated drywall corners were cut to become grills. It's PVC plastic and cuts and bends easy. In the front it will be black along with the center brace.

View attachment 37920

I also used it on a rear vent where the exhaust will come out. I fashioned some tail lights too just as a trial.

View attachment 37921

Then I took the rocker panel pieces and fashioned the buttress for the back part of the roof line. These are still not finished and will require some shaping still. I reshaped the vent intakes and then added some of the drywall perforated pieces as a sort of grill for the intake. Still some sorting to do.

View attachment 37922

Here's a 3/4 view of the whole thing. Some progress but lots to go.

View attachment 37923

I have to say, the rear view where you incorporated the "perf metal" around the exhaust exits, as well as those mocked up taillights says, factory "race shop" engineered IMO. Very creative. I love your ability to carefully design the direction / process of your creations!!!!