Basic Styrene Stock List - Working with Modeling Plastics

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Many requests and questions come in about modeling with Styrene Plastic
The following is part of a series of Plastic Modeling tips and tutorials that JKRC will be putting together for the SBG and RCCA

As always read all the instructions....KJ doesn't want to be responsible for solvents in poorly ventilated areas

Walking into a hobby shop and looking at racks and racks of supplies is a little daunting to start out so I made a list....

Luckily this week we just returned from a much needed shopping trip to replenish stock!

At first a few hundred bucks in modeling plastic seems expensive but once you buy it and just keep restocking i promise it wont seem so bad.

My Basic Styrene Stock List (This is for Evergreen Products only)
These are the basics. (These would run you approx $80 - $130 retail)

styrene.jpg

These are the Evergreen Plastics Part Numbers

Sheets
9005 - Clear 015" Thick (0.4mm)
9102 - Plain 015" Thick (0.4mm)
9104 - Plain 030" Thick (0.75mm)
9105 - Plain 040" Thick (1.0mm)
9106 - Plain 060" Thick (1.5mm)

Tube (Round)
232 - 3/8 Tube
227 - 7/32 Tube
426 - 3/16 Tube
425 - 5/32 Tube
423 - 3/32 Tube

Tube (Square)
252 - .125 Sq
253 - .188 Sq
254 - .250 Sq
255 - .312 Sq

Rod
212 - .080
213 - .100
214 - .125

Strip
142 - .040 x .040
144 - .040 x .080
146 - .040 x .125
148 - .040 x .188
149 - .040 x .250

This is good to get started, the fun stuff starts when the specialty stuff comes in...that's a different thread

Last edited:

2hi2cu

well thanks unglewd you answered my question...i made a list and will be buying what's listed.to keep that in stock for myself seems a little over kill but i'll buy them just the same.....I also went to the evergreen web site to get an idea what i need.......now that we got that cleared were can i buy i don't have a local hobby shop here so i need to know what hobby shop on line i can buy this stuff from...
any suggestions who to buy from online.....
thank for the all info you been a lot of help....

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
You're welcome
Not sure for online stores, only one of our vendors sells styrene (RPP Hobby) and he only has sheets.
You're going to have to get online and do some looking unless one of the other members has a source?

Dukk

I don't know if they ship but One Stop is a site supporter and has a large selection of Evergreen products, and balsa, metal, etc. When I want custom building products, I go there.

PM MuddyWaters - he works there.

curly

i ordered most everything on the list
now when i get an idea i can do something with it
thank kevin

?

-

I don't know if they ship but One Stop is a site supporter and has a large selection of Evergreen products, and balsa, metal, etc. When I want custom building products, I go there.

PM MuddyWaters - he works there.

Thank you Dukk... Yes we do stock a LARGE selection of styrene. It is Evergreen also!

2hi2cu

How Can I Order.... Where I Live There Is No Hobby Shop All My Buying Is On Line...
I Could Use Some Of That Styrene.....

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Hey guys...can you do this through PM to keep the thread clear?
Glad it's helpful though :biggthumpup:

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Well, Polyvinyl Chloride and Polystyrene are entirely different plastics with different intended uses, but I (think) you could bond them to each other with the proper adhesive.

Headquake

...at the H.O.P.
styrene - harder
pvc board like komacel or sintra - softer

Thats the main difference. Both are used in the same way but PVC won't glue with styrene solvent. CA type glue works on both.

Fourth Protocol

V.I.P. Member
Haven't seen this before and it's always fascinatinjg to see what others recommend. This is a lot more, and somewhat different to what I keep in the house. What makes me break out in cold sweats is when I run low on any of these -

A4 sheets (?/0.25 mm, ?/0.5mm, ?/0.75mm, 1mm, 2mm, 2.5mm)
Assorted tubes from China. Not sure what I bought anymore, but it was a bunch of randomly-sized tubes and they've lasted me for 3 years now.