Bending sheet aluminum

E

ecoli

Going to try some tubers with aluminum belly pans on them. I'm picking up some 1/16" sheet aluminum, probably 5052 since it apparently takes a bend easier. Anyways, I'm wondering what people are using for bending their aluminum? I don't own a metal brake, but I'm suspecting most others don't either, so what's the trick? Vice and hammer?

Thanks!

Chris

HeyOK

HeyOK Performance
If what I am working on isn't very wide, I use a vice and a hammer. Often I will use a block of wood to push on the aluminum, just using my hands, but if needed, I'll wack that with a hammer and the wood keeps the metal from getting marked up too badly.

M

madhatter

Princess Auto also has a little hand break that you can mount on a table. I've got one here and its a god sent alot of times. They are usually on sale or at least quite often, but aren't much money regularly.

C

colonelangus

bending alu

i used a press and clamps because it was here ,but the break is the way to go.

E

ecoli

Princess Auto also has a little hand break that you can mount on a table. I've got one here and its a god sent alot of times. They are usually on sale or at least quite often, but aren't much money regularly.

We've got Princess Auto here, I'll have to check it out. A table mounted one sounds like it would fit the bill. I'm used to the big shop versions. Thanks!