Brazing / Soldering Question.

E

EHeye

OK, im getting frusturated. I have a MAPP torch and have bought several kinds of brazing rods and cant seem to get the rod to turn into flow. It just turns into a bubble and sits on the joint.

So I was goign to try the Harris Safety Silv but I cant find it closer than langley and I would rather not go out there to get it. Can I use any 50/50 Silver Solder?

E

ecoli

If you're using the rods from Home Depot, yeah, forget about just MAPP gas. You need oxygen with those.

Any high silver content braze will work fine. The higher the silver content, the lower the melting point and generally smoother the braze, however also more expensive. Don't forget the flux if you're buying non-coated braze. Feel free to post any questions on brazing you might have.

N

NMike

you have to heat the parts first. once they are really hot, then apply the rod and heat to that. the objective is to get the rod material to be "sucked" onto the work pieces.

if you do it the other way, you get the puddles you are experiencing.

C

Crawler Guy

I bought my harris safety silv 56 at my local praxair welding store if you have any around you try them.

T

Tired

If you are using the brazing rod popular at Canadian Tire and Home Depot, it requires a LOT of heat to get to melting, but it does. Be patient, the Harris stuff is pricey. The MPS gas in the MAPP bottle works fine.

For any detail work, Ecoli is the man - and the Harris Silv has a lower melting point for quick and easy welds.

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
If you are using the brazing rod popular at Canadian Tire and Home Depot, it requires a LOT of heat to get to melting, but it does. Be patient, the Harris stuff is pricey. The MPS gas in the MAPP bottle works fine.

For any detail work, Ecoli is the man - and the Harris Silv has a lower melting point for quick and easy welds.

I agree, for many of my 3/16" tube projects I use a simple MPS/MAPP torch and Lincoln Electric 2.4mm Brazing Rod. Available at any Canadian Tire or welding supply shop.
The tube has to be red hot before applying the brazing rod, but it will flow!
I think your issue is heat, sounds like the surface just isn't quite hot enough. The little hand held MAP bottle style torch isn't ideal for heating a small area fast so it takes some practice and a bit of change in technique.

E

EHeye

I picked up some Oatley 50/50 silver solder on the weekend. It seems to be pretty damn strong. I think with some more practice I could use this stuff. Anyone heard of it?

E

ecoli

Haven't heard of it, what's the tensile strength on it? If it is truly a 50% silver braze, should work fine. Note that braze and solder are two completely different materials, so hopefully you got the braze!

As miller noted, Harris might be a little more expensive (well, a lot more compared to rods), but it's well worth it. Extremely easy to work with.

E

EHeye

It seemed pretty strong for the crappy job that I did with it (didnt fish mouth and only two little points connected) I tossed the piece in the air about 10ft and it didnt break.

E

ecoli

Hmm, tensile strength of safety silv is from 40,000 - 70,000 psi. You may run into issues with the Oatey stuff.

Throwing a joined peice 10 feet up really isn't much of a test of strength. I can JB weld two peices of metal together and get the same result. To really test it, clamp the one piece in a vice and then rank on the other piece with a pair of pliers. If the joint/filler material is strong enough, the whole thing will bend. If not, it will snap off at the filler material.

Since you have it, I'd do a build with it and see how it holds up. I've got enough safety silv to keep myself busy for a while, but if it works for you, might be a cheaper alternative.

E

EHeye

Didnt realize safety silv was so high in tensile strength. meh, I might screw it and wait till I get my bottle for my mig.