Bruder Mack snowplow conversion

Finally have gotten enough parts rounded up to start converting a Bruder Mack snow plow to full function RC. I've had the truck for about two years now, the axles since last year. But thanks to refinancing the house and getting rid of a lot of debt, I have been getting more parts in to get this built finally. My only real problem thus far is RC4WD doesn't include the motor mount for the R4 trans with the transmission and the damn thing is on back order until Feb, I ordered it back in Oct...

Actually I have tested the plow in the snow by pushing the truck with an HPI Venture.
Needs some more weight for deeper snow. by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

The Bruder is a weird scale. Except for how tall the cab itself is, it is basically the same dimensions as the Tamiya Grand/King body. Photos for size comparison.
Snowplow build by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr
Tamiya VS Bruder by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

Some of the parts laid out with the truck on it's side. Herculies Hobbies axles with locking diffs, RC4WD R4 scale transmission. That isn't the motor I will be running and not sure still on tires.

For power I went with an 1800KV Hobbywing Fusion. Save space by eliminating having to hide a speed controller somewhere, and from the reviews I have seen it has plenty of power and runs really smooth. Cut out the Bruder plastic engine and front end, test fit the front axle with Tamiya 30mm hex front wheels with RC4WD super wides.

Blew the Bruder apart and cut some chassis rails. Yes I know flat stock isn't scale, but by the time everything is bolted to the chassis you won't see it. Plus I want the little bit more weight the solid stock has.

Got the front suspension and axle bolted up to the rails. The length of the leaf springs has caused a problem, as the front hanger needs to be slightly ahead of the grill. So I need to notch the frame or clearance the hood and grill to get it to sit lower. But there is plenty of room in the cab to hide the receiver under the dash and the light kit controller under the seats so nothing will be in the cab.

The only really big problem is the dump bed... its too short to clear the cab if it is mounted on the frame. That will take a little figuring out.

I have a pair of Hexfly 25kg servos for steering and diff lock. And will control the truck with a Flysky FS-i10 radio and receiver. The truck will be getting a curb side wing plow and with the pump out of a boat it will have a liquid de-icer system. Which will use a pet friendly ice melt mix my wife found on the internet somewhere.

Chassis sat a little too high so I switched hangers and flipped the rails so the hangers bolted up by the top. That might be a little too much, so I think right in the middle will be a good compromise. Both photos show the cab and hood fit a little better this way, trimmed out some of the hood after I pulled the grill off.
Motor and trans mock up by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr
Motor and trans mock up by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

And here is a video, going over some of the parts and truck layout in a little more depth.
https://youtu.be/kR_nbyO1f0c

More work done on the conversion. I was hesitant about using the RC4WD 1.7 BFG Krawlers thinking they would be too tall, but I really like the way they look on the truck. Still waiting for the motor mounting plate... At least RC4WD can get tires out really quick.
The Krawlers fit on the Tamiya wide front rims better than I thought. Just need to trim the bead of the tire a little. Stock height semi tire for size comparison.
Snowplow build part 2 by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

Got the front cross member and rear cross member welded in. As well as got the rear suspension partly mounted. Stole the mount off the Grand Hauler to make a copy part. Not happy with the first one, so I'll make a second one and go from there.

Mocked up the cab and hood once again. I moved the leaf springs back a little to give me a bit more frame in front of the hood and grill. Really happy with the way the cab sits on the frame and how it looks with the tires.

The dump bed is kind of an odd size as well, as if the bottom of the dump body was level with the bottom of the cab as they are in real life, this bed is too short for the guard to clear the cab. So I don't think this is a scale ten yard box, but I am going to modify the cab guard so the box will sit closer to flush with the frame rails and still tuck up next to the stacks. Based off the truck's much taller stance than a normal 6x4 truck the lower bed sides would make sense if you don't have equipment with a high reach.

Just a for fun shot with the plow sitting in front of the truck as it will be installed. This is how I mocked everything up with the BFGs when they came in and decided I'll use them because it just looks badass.

And the Video
https://youtu.be/aWUCK5A3WTk

Little more progress on the plow. Suspension is fully installed and functional. Got the rear transmission mount figured out, need to get it centered a little better. I have the transfer case just stuck in place with a plastic tube to see where its mount will need to be. The servo will tuck into the battery box and will be for locking the diffs. Just some random old Futaba I had laying around to mock mounts up.
Suspension fully installed by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

Suspension fully installed by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

Changed my mind on how to mount the servos for steering and diff lock; did get the fuel tank and battery box cut and installed. Got the transmission and transfer case mounted up, and a few drive shafts cobbled together for a little test run.
Servos mounted by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

Underside shot. Steering is smooth and predictable, even with the bend no bumpsteer in the set up. Between the 1200kv Fusion and the gearing of the R4 trans with the disrupter transfer case, the truck should have plenty of snow shoving power.
Servos mounted by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

Well got in the linear servo for the dump bed and two of the three drive shafts. Work on this thing came to a stand still between the 90+ degree temps and all the smoke Twin Falls has been blanked with from the fires in Cali and Or. Its no fun to work on something in a hot garage with air that you don't want to be in. Supposed to be cooler this weekend so maybe I can get the cab mounts done and start on the dump box.
Drive shafts and linear servo by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

Kear

Bleb
Quite the interesting build so far.
Is the rear suspension off the shelf or Custom?

Also, the Bruder trucks comeout to a rough 1:16 scale in some dimentions but 1:14 in others, some trucks look better than others due to such things.

Quite the interesting build so far.
Is the rear suspension off the shelf or Custom?

Also, the Bruder trucks comeout to a rough 1:16 scale in some dimentions but 1:14 in others, some trucks look better than others due to such things.
The Bruder scale is weird. The hood fender width is the same as the King/Grand and the over all height is the same. But the cab's length is a little off. The front suspension is RC4WD springs and the rear is the stock Tamiya semi set up. I did mount the rear suspension lower on the frame than the stock Tamiya trucks, so it has a fair amount of articulation. The RC4WD tires are a little big, but it puts the truck at the height of the new military dump trucks Mack is building.

And Thursday my last drive shaft showed up. Guess I better get to work on getting the cab mounted up.
Drive shafts by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hey I finally got back to work on this... Now that its not a million degrees in the garage. And I think I have figured out how to mount the cab and linear servo for the dump bed. Those were the hang ups on progress, that and guess who didn't get their shielding gas bottle fully closed and had to get a refill?
<-this guy...

The linear servo will be slightly off set so the screw will miss the drive shaft. It has a long enough travel the bed should be well past 50 degrees when dumping.
Liniear servo mount by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

The 10 channel receiver fits quite well under the floor of the cab. Which should keep it dry and protected from dirt and snow.
Snow plow build by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

Now if only this 2s Lipo was half an inch shorter it would tuck between the stacks perfectly. Between the cab and the dump bed is the only place to put the battery on the truck. Its not a bad spot, as I have seen hydraulic tanks and other equipment mounted there. Just have to design something up.

Will get some more welding done Sunday and hopefully have more photos and a video on the build. Kind of running out of time to build before it starts snowing.

SurlyBurly

Some day I'll be both revered & passe like Madonna
This is easily one of my favorite builds on the forums right now. Keep it up boss.

This is easily one of my favorite builds on the forums right now. Keep it up boss.
Nice bit of work. Its gonna be epic, what time is the snow due šŸ˜¬
Thanks for the kind words. Snow is pretty much any time now.
Didn't get the cab mounted, but the linear servo is mounted and the hinge is welded to the chassis. Even got the pintle hook mounted up, that was a pain in the butt.
Servo and hing mounted by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr
Servo and hing mounted by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

Here is the video.

I was over thinking the cab mounts. So bent and drilled some holes. Cab is mounted and only cracked the stacks getting the Bruder body taken apart.
cab mounts by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

Snowplow cab mount by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

Unexpectedly, the Tamiya rear suspension has a lot more articulation when its not mounted to the center of the frame. The intermediate drive shaft binds up a bit, so I will have to limit travel. Not a great video, the audio pops, but I do test drive it.

Got one of the important parts in this week, the Venom short 2s LiPo. Needed it so I could figure out where the dump bed needs to get mounted.
Venom 2s lipo shorty pack by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

Managed to spot weld the hing to the frame without burning any holes in the plastic.
Dump bed frame by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

Need to trim the dump box a little more so it sits right, but hey its looking more and more like a truck and less like a pile of truck.
Dump bed frame by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

And a build video with a little test.