Chevy!

Metal Masher

V.I.P. Member
ok, it's been a little while... well maybe a long while but i'm finally back working on this body after sitting on the shelf for a few years.

The truck body was returned to Rich long ago and now I started work on the other molds using the kit Blazer body.



the first orde of business was to address the areas I feel do not accurately represent the 1:1 truck. the leading edge of the hood is one. I feel it's too rounded and has no rib in the center. I purposefully added more then I need in order to shape it down once I cast it in resin.



the front of the fender is next. got to get rid of that steep angle.



I also filled in all the holes that are not in the real doors.



then it was just repeating the process I did before to make the molds.









I hope to have these molds done this spring. I might even make it into a truck! :wow:
 

Metal Masher

V.I.P. Member
So I was finally able to afford to buy the materials needed to finish the next set of molds.

the next pieces up were the accessories starting with the grill



then the dash. both were placed on a bed of clay



the surrounds were then added



next it was time for the smaller bits using the same process



finally I added the Blazer tailgate. before I placed it in the mold I modified it to better match the 1:1 truck



then they were all boxed up waiting for the liquid silicone to arrive.



once the material arrived I finished the body sides first.



then cast all the molds I had up to this point



they came out pretty nice.



you can see how the clay gave me enough material to remove later





then I couldn't help but do a quick test panel with the rear bed side.



needs a little work but overall not half bad. More to come!
 

markbt73

Member
Hooray for long-overdue updates! It's looking great!

And thank you for showing your processes in such detail. If I ever get around to actually trying this, your threads will be an invaluable resource...
 

Metal Masher

V.I.P. Member
Hooray for long-overdue updates! It's looking great!

And thank you for showing your processes in such detail. If I ever get around to actually trying this, your threads will be an invaluable resource...

Thanks! if you ever have any questions, feel free to ask.

so I got more done on the molds. the hood was the first to get attention by sanding down the leading edge to give it a more 1:1 look.







then I did a quick test panel which came out really good.



even managed to get all the louvers to show up.



I need more practice on the front corners but not bad for a first try.





top came out real smooth too.



then I started cutting the rest of the panels out



then started reshaping the front fenders by cutting the splash guard off



then smoothed it down and gave the lower edge a proper curve



the top profile was next



and a quick run with the file and sandpaper took care of it



finally I was able to do a test panel. I like how it came out.



More later
 

Metal Masher

V.I.P. Member
Did a little rework on the roof.

There was too much time between when I made the laytex molds and when I poured the resin (about 2 years! ::awwcrap) and the molds began to settle and warp over that time. the other parts I was able to make work but the roof needed some extra help.

it's hard to tell in the pics but the center of the roof is concave and should have a slight arch to it.





you can sort of see it in the panel I formed.



anyways, to correct the issue, I built a dam along he sides and filled the center with more resin.





then began whittling away and the resin to get the proper shape back.



then I broke out some old school tools to help match it to the original.



original RC4WD body



corrected mold



pretty close I think.



and now the panel looks much better. ::2thumbs

 
Did a little rework on the roof.

There was too much time between when I made the laytex molds and when I poured the resin (about 2 years! ::awwcrap) and the molds began to settle and warp over that time. the other parts I was able to make work but the roof needed some extra help.

it's hard to tell in the pics but the center of the roof is concave and should have a slight arch to it.





you can sort of see it in the panel I formed.



anyways, to correct the issue, I built a dam along he sides and filled the center with more resin.





then began whittling away and the resin to get the proper shape back.



then I broke out some old school tools to help match it to the original.



original RC4WD body



corrected mold



pretty close I think.



and now the panel looks much better. ::2thumbs

Looks great man! Keep it up!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 

Metal Masher

V.I.P. Member
ok, after staring at the roof mold for a few weeks I couldn't take it any more and decided to make another one.

This time I decided to remove the doors of the original body to alleviate some clean-up work on final mold



this time I filled the window and door openings with a recess







then continued the mold as usual







with the price of resin and latex going up I try to fill the mold with either cast-off bits on in this case the original roof mold and some wood







the mold came out ok,



but had some imperfections.





the extra filler I used in the silicone mold caused some bubbles that showed up in the final part. no matter, I started cleaning the edges.



and shaping the cowl



then I added some more resin to fill the holes





looks like it never happened!



i'm very happy with the results!



 
Top