Dag's 1978 Volvo 245 dl estate

Frederik

Supporting Member
Very cool to see all the workings! Thanks for the detailed view :) much appreciated. That's an awesome build.

What are the plans to narrow the rear? It looks like the hexes are already pretty thin. You said you already narrowed the axle if I heard correctly? Is it possible to narrow it again?

dagabba

Supporting Member
Very cool to see all the workings! Thanks for the detailed view :) much appreciated. That's an awesome build.

What are the plans to narrow the rear? It looks like the hexes are already pretty thin. You said you already narrowed the axle if I heard correctly? Is it possible to narrow it again?

Thanks man! I think I might need to do some wheel surgery like you!

TrondOlsen

Supporting Member
That is very nice work and and spot on! I have owned many Volvo 240's, like 70! [emoji4] I will share a photo of my last owned volvo.
18b383d6e718e7b9bcf9e29b2edbf23c.jpg

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

dagabba

Supporting Member
That is very nice work and and spot on! I have owned many Volvo 240's, like 70! [emoji4] I will share a photo of my last owned volvo.

Thanks Trond!
Wow, what a beauty!! I need to go and look at 240s for sale now...

Just watched the video and man, it brings the build to life. You've done a really decent bit of allright with that :wow:::bigdrool

Thanks Fourth!
Just trying to learn from your styrene techniques!

dagabba

Supporting Member
Ok, here's an axle update- they had already been narrowed but it wasn't quite enough and I couldn't do much more with the existing tubes so I designed something:

20210307_084814.jpg

They printed out nicely and it's good to clean up the top link/panhard mounts:

20210307_115434.jpg

Here's the axle built up, after hacking at the driveshafts again:

20210308_222445.jpg

And on the car, using the narrowed wheels I made for the front, I need to sort another set. You can see from underneath the tyre only clears the inside of the wheel well by a few mm:

20210308_234720.jpg

And the view from the side is much better, it tucks nicely at the front on compression too.

20210308_235138.jpg

20210308_235253.jpg

Of course there are strength issues here- it will be interesting to test drive it at speed. I always have the option of printing from shapeways though, and I'm quite excited I could now potentially print any width of axle I want with any mount configuration...

After all this PLA my next update will be styrene based... just need to do some sanding first, quite a lot actually...

SurlyBurly

Some day I'll be both revered & passe like Madonna
Are ABS or PET prints an option with your setup? Either should be plenty strong enough.

2Beers

It's me again.
Awesomely done.

I love seeing it all under the body and hooked up.
Seeing the tire in opening with hub cab on really brings it home too.

Great stuff my friend.

Mr Beanos

Supporting Member
Wow, i'm very impressed with the quality of your work on the body of this vovlo but I am much more impressed with all these details on the frame and how the suspension works! ::2thumbs
Thanks for that great job Dagabba.

dagabba

Supporting Member
Are ABS or PET prints an option with your setup? Either should be plenty strong enough.

Ah yes, I can print ABS!! That's great knowledge, I didn't realise it would make such a big difference, thanks!

Awesomely done.

I love seeing it all under the body and hooked up.
Seeing the tire in opening with hub cab on really brings it home too.

Great stuff my friend.

Thanks Beers! Yeah, I'm really hoping it'll now get the feel of a 1:1 resto being pieced together.

Wow, i'm very impressed with the quality of your work on the body of this vovlo but I am much more impressed with all these details on the frame and how the suspension works! ::2thumbs
Thanks for that great job Dagabba.

Thanks Mr Beanos!

dagabba

Supporting Member
Ok so lots of sanding as promised, I found the bonnet was lining up a bit low and since it's too thin and proned to warping anyway I thought it would be better to add some depth rather than lengthen the links. It's complicated because I only need to add depth in the top third but also make it all look smooth... so I made a, frankly ridiculous, puzzle of styrene... I almost certainly should have simply added thicker pieces then sanded down but... whatever, it's done now.

Here's the puzzle:

20210309_203619.jpg

And sanded, needs a few layers of primer and smoothing now:

20210314_113759.jpg

I've also started working on the cab floor, this will remain detachable for ease of painting and general access. I do also need it to support the rear of the gearbox however.

First cut some 2mm styrene and stacked up a structural rear portion transmission tunnel:

20210312_105936.jpg

Then built up the front half to cover the transmission and fit the cutaway in the firewall:

20210313_114648.jpg

First smoothing done:

20210314_105548.jpg

I'm aiming to cover the bolts will something easily detachable- probably handbrake- but first I need to rough out the dashboard and where exactly the centre console will meet this tunnel.

Cheers all!

Frederik

Supporting Member
Nice! I'm not entirely sure I understand the way you added thickness with all the stripes :laugh: But it sounds like you are not quite sure either hahahah so I guess all is good :laughing:

Looks like the transmission will fit snugly and neatly in the tunnel, nicely adjusted, do you expect it to be complicated figuring out where the floor sits exactly before cutting the final dimensions, to meet rest of the car?

SurlyBurly

Some day I'll be both revered & passe like Madonna
Seems like its not far enough back for the hand brake, but the shifter ought to work there.

vd.jpg

Good opportunity to replicate that iconic polygonal shifter too.

dagabba

Supporting Member
Looking awesome, looking forward to see the volvo complete [emoji4]

Thanks Trond!

Nice! I'm not entirely sure I understand the way you added thickness with all the stripes :laugh: But it sounds like you are not quite sure either hahahah so I guess all is good :laughing:

Looks like the transmission will fit snugly and neatly in the tunnel, nicely adjusted, do you expect it to be complicated figuring out where the floor sits exactly before cutting the final dimensions, to meet rest of the car?

Haha, yeah- the reason for the strips is because they are all different thicknesses, getting thinner both towards the sides and the front to achieve the correct curve.

And yeah, I should have been clearer about the floor- first thing I did was cut the right width, then the length, then started working out where things would go. Not too tricky because there's a substantial lip from the door recess/seal- I'll probably eventually hard mount it with screws into this lip. Front end just goes under the firewall, rear end meets rear firewall and the rear of the trans tunnel keys over this firewall. Trickiest part was bending the front of the trans tunnel to fit the cut out from the firewall but still not too bad. Here it is in place:

20210319_191953.jpg

20210319_191836.jpg

The underside needs cleaning up and some details, plan is also to run hidden wiring through the sills.

Seems like its not far enough back for the hand brake, but the shifter ought to work there.

View attachment 38751

Good opportunity to replicate that iconic polygonal shifter too.

Yup, absolutely correct- I'll find exactly where the centre panel meets it soon...

Not sure but it looks to me that the manuals have regular round tops?

1978_volvo_240-pic-46622-640x480.jpeg

dagabba

Supporting Member
Started on the dashboard- made a box:

20210319_111429.jpg

Did some scribbling:

20210319_115145.jpg

Attacked with various tools:

20210319_191643.jpg

More to come...

2Beers

It's me again.
Huge eyeballs
Shaking head up and down.

Yup
:laughing:

Too cool on the progress.
another 2Beers fiver my friend.
::2thumbs:biggthumpup:::2thumbs

Totally awesome work and efforts.....Love it.:luv:

dagabba

Supporting Member
Ok, a few details in the dash, top bit:

20210322_133731.jpg

And front face:

20210324_181759.jpg

Need to work out some nice graphics for the clock, not had much success with my 2d printer so far but will try again...

Progress is slow because, amongst other things, I've beg making a Mando helmet for my son...

20210323_185940.jpg

Cheers all!