Dag's Land Rover Series iia swb

dagabba

Supporting Member
My man! This is just out of my world!! I just picked up my eyes off the floor.
Thanks man!
So many rivets, so many beautiful details. :cool2: ::2thumbs
This build already has multiple layers of awesomeness and there is still more to come.:wow:
Thank you! Not too many layers left now thankfully!
Ah rivets... I hand punched about 300 or so when I did the steam Jeep. Not fun. Beautiful job on this one sir, destined for greatness.
Ah yes, I remember following that and thinking it didn't look fun. Does look awesome though so worth it in the end. I'm enjoying the tiny sprues of scale bolts I found too. And thanks.

SeanOB

:wow: I have no idea how you make such clean, precise little pieces! Keep it coming, really enjoying seeing this progress.

Paulnb57

Supporting Member
Crank handle is for engine starting, on the Series trucks there is a hole in the front bumper for it to pass through and engage into a fitting on the end of the crankshaft
Photo is a Series Military bumper, but it has the hole
Superb build, Ive done two full size, a Series One and a D90, must do an RC

8134859C-E8C4-4B61-91AC-E39BCC05D4D8.jpeg

dagabba

Supporting Member
:wow: I have no idea how you make such clean, precise little pieces! Keep it coming, really enjoying seeing this progress.
Haha, love making the little pieces! Just have to be careful not to break them...
AND NOW YOU DO RIVETS!! I WAS JUST GETTING THE HANG OF STICKING TWO PIECES OF PLASTIC TOGETHER :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Oh yeah, need to get the mini drill out too!
Crank handle is for engine starting, on the Series trucks there is a hole in the front bumper for it to pass through and engage into a fitting on the end of the crankshaft
Photo is a Series Military bumper, but it has the hole
Superb build, Ive done two full size, a Series One and a D90, must do an RC
Awesome knowledge, thanks for that! I'll have to make sure I put the hole in the front bumper when I get there. Sounds like you've had lots of fun Landie time, definitely think you should add an RC version to the collection though!

dagabba

Supporting Member
Ok, seats are done- first I added the fixings for the seat backs and the little rubber stops along the top.
20210730_120112.jpg

The seats themselves are quite straitforward. Backs are currently on a rod so they can be flipped or removed but I'll probably end up bolting the two ends for solidity. The bases have magnets inside so they can just be popped on or off.
20210730_115620.jpg

This means there are lots of possible configurations and access for spannering the transfer case, etc:
20210730_115909.jpg

I've also spent some time getting the chassis fetled and aligned, clocked the motor and servo for clearance and drilled some new holes (as suggested by @Fourth Protocol ) to get the front leaves mounted properly- with the door edges/stops added things are looking pretty straight:
20210730_115417.jpg

So now I can start filling the floor area between the two halves.

Hairyguy4

Great looking series! Don’t know if youve seen these before but good for going leaf under axle

Hinting of picking a set up for my yj to go sua

2Beers

It's me again.
Dag my friend...your seriously an Awesome builder.
Just love coming to look at all the greatness happening on this rig.
Truly a master and MAD SKILLS.
My eye's are extremely happy.
2Beers fiver.
Just WOW!
::2thumbs ::2thumbs :biggthumpup:
Scratch building at it's finest.

dagabba

Supporting Member
Great looking series! Don’t know if youve seen these before but good for going leaf under axle

Hinting of picking a set up for my yj to go sua
Thanks- yes, I actually just ebayed a whole assortment of different RC leaf springs, both 1/10 and 1/14 but those look very like some of the ones I'm using. You can use any leaf for under axle though- just changes the mounting. The only real downside for me is that the front pumpkin is now on the wrong side- does give more clearance for the servo horn though.
Dag my friend...your seriously an Awesome builder.
Just love coming to look at all the greatness happening on this rig.
Truly a master and MAD SKILLS.
My eye's are extremely happy.
2Beers fiver.
Just WOW!
::2thumbs ::2thumbs :biggthumpup:
Scratch building at it's finest.
Many thanks for encouragement Beers!!
Gorgeous work! Shaping up nicely
Thanks!

dagabba

Supporting Member
More bits coming together- I've printed a bumper mount for the front, think I'll just go with this ali bumper for now as it's pretty solid. Also finished the front valance, this now bolts into the crossmember/servo mount.

20210803_110440.jpg

And things are now bolting onto the subframe- the floor is in with its wierdly shaped gearbox hump, and the sills bolt on from underneath.

20210803_110608.jpg

20210803_110719.jpg

There are a few things to tidy up, otherwise I need driving controls and hinges- then paint! 10 days to go... it might be doorless for this trip but I quite like seeing the depth of floor and interior detail anyway... what do you all think?

Fourth Protocol

Loving the wiper motors, and all the rivets under the seats. I'm always of two minds with hidden detail - it's nice knowing it's accurate to the last bolt, but it's almost disappointing that the great unwashed, hoi-polloi, rabble and proles will never see and appreciate those hidden gems...

dagabba

Supporting Member
Loving the wiper motors, and all the rivets under the seats. I'm always of two minds with hidden detail - it's nice knowing it's accurate to the last bolt, but it's almost disappointing that the great unwashed, hoi-polloi, rabble and proles will never see and appreciate those hidden gems...
Yup very true- and it does get delicate. For a truck I'd intended to be able to grab and drive whenever I'm now finding it very easy to accidentally knock a tiny piece of detail off somewhere... though I think for me I want to build everything like the 1:1 just because it's fun to be reading through 1:1 rebuilds and imagine I'm doing the same.

Reactions: JMo

JMo

V.I.P. Member
I'll echo what Forth' just said - the scratch-built styrene detail is off the charts - those wipers, the motors, all the rivets - this is an exceptional replica of the real thing!

You've clearly got this dialled in, although another thing you might want to consider chassis-wise is the current transfer-case set-up - that low-slung cradle for the Hammer transfer case [with 4-link mounts] is not ideal perhaps? - My suggestion would be to use one of these [ebay/Injora] 2:1 transfer cases I've used on my YJ and the D90 - they are designed to fit with the universal chassis rails you're using and give you much better under-belly clearance. They'll mate with the R3 gearbox you're using in a similar way and shouldn't encroach on the transmission tunnel/seat-box either... recommended!

Jenny

dagabba

Supporting Member
I'll echo what Forth' just said - the scratch-built styrene detail is off the charts - those wipers, the motors, all the rivets - this is an exceptional replica of the real thing!

You've clearly got this dialled in, although another thing you might want to consider chassis-wise is the current transfer-case set-up - that low-slung cradle for the Hammer transfer case [with 4-link mounts] is not ideal perhaps? - My suggestion would be to use one of these [ebay/Injora] 2:1 transfer cases I've used on my YJ and the D90 - they are designed to fit with the universal chassis rails you're using and give you much better under-belly clearance. They'll mate with the R3 gearbox you're using in a similar way and shouldn't encroach on the transmission tunnel/seat-box either... recommended!

Jenny
Thanks Jenny.

Yes, I have actually been looking at T-case mounts today, the sills don't cover it quite as much as I'd like. In the end I'll probably get a full scale transmission and move the servo... one day. Will definitely have a look at that T-case though, good info thanks!

Reactions: JMo

Fourth Protocol

Hey something I've been meaning to mention, if you're not entirely set on running gear. I recently got my hands on a planetary 1:5 gearbox that connects directly to the motor. Great for keeping weight really low down. I'm using it on an MST CFX but might be useful here too...

If you struggle with the German let me know.

dagabba

Supporting Member
Hey something I've been meaning to mention, if you're not entirely set on running gear. I recently got my hands on a planetary 1:5 gearbox that connects directly to the motor. Great for keeping weight really low down. I'm using it on an MST CFX but might be useful here too...

If you struggle with the German let me know.
Thanks for this Fourth. I've never considered a planetary gearbox but that looks a really neat package!

This drivetrain will stay for Wales because of the lack of time but I'll have a rethink after that.

My friend. I look forward to seeing any little update on this thing. You're a magician.
Thanks, very kind... I have a very little update...