Ferrari 512 S Analog

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
More please!! Love Le Mans cars, keep them coming! Someone needs to do a 917...

I toyed with doing a 917 but I've always loved this particular car. In the movie LeMans w Steve McQueen, the long tail version of this car was the antagonist.

dagabba

Supporting Member
Great movie. I'm a bit of a Porsche fan... I've got a blueprint of the tube chassis somewhere, will look it out...

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
So the build continues, albeit slower than I'd like. The Pandemic has me home and getting ready to teach online in lieu of face to face classes, but I'm trying to squeeze in some time to get to the point of finishing building various pieces so I can primer it and fill joints of which there are many. I worked on the rear end as it is not completely flat and the air vents have some indentation on the real car. I put a lip around the rear plate but will not do the indents. The lip greatly improved the look of the rear plate. I also mocked up tail lights using reflective sign vinyl for the lenses as that is all I have.

IMG_3208.JPG

The real deal.
Ferrari 512s Rear view.jpg

I also began making the doors on this and adjusting the side panels. There is a bit of adjustment to take place and I might have to make this one over (I hope not). I also made a new windshield hoop, moved it back a bit and then wrapped the hoop with a styrene band which stiffens the aluminum. It's not permanently installed yet as the doors have to be more finished to move forward w that.

The door in rough form.
IMG_3206.jpg

The side profile is starting to look more like I intended. Still a long way to go.
IMG_3205.JPG

joe122

So cool watching you bring the real car to life in 1/10 - 1/8 scale!!!! Awesome workmanship!

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
So cool watching you bring the real car to life in 1/10 - 1/8 scale!!!! Awesome workmanship!

Thank you. It's sort of 1/9th + scale because it's just shy of 1/8 and bigger than 1/10 The wheelbase is 280 mm/11" and the track is about 9" in the rear and slightly smaller 8 3/4" in the front. Think Kyosho Superten/HPI Super RS4 size.

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
Some more rough fitting and mocking up. I made the right side door, and remade the hoop over the roll bar. I also made a makeshift windshield to get a better sense of the overall shape. In addition, I worked on the rear spoiler to even things out. That's been a great challenge with this build. It is more sculpting and eyeballing than recreating an exact replica. It's form and function wrapped in an adaptation to fit a pre-existing chassis and it has turned out to be far more difficult than any build I've done previous.

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3210.jpg

IMG_3211.jpg

IMG_3213.JPG

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
I'm loving how this is coming together, that looks great!!!

If they'll fit the size you need, I've had good luck with the led holder light bezels this guy sells
https://www.truescale-rc.com/collections/building-supplies

Or the clear part of some glue on white backed 'wiggly eyes' from the craft store, with some translucent paint.

Thanks very much. I found some pills in clear buttons with foil backing and they are expired so I might run with those as they are pretty close in size. I'll have to find some translucent paint. My local hobby shop closed last summer and I'll have to look online.

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
Made some progress of late. I had lost some momentum and even considered giving up on this and the other projects i have because tires and wheels are becoming harder to find for this, but I managed to find some passable substitutes and that helped. I just didn't want to invest too much energy into these builds if I eventually ran into trouble finding tires to run them. HPI stopped making these size wheels and tires (Super RS4/Superten size) a long while ago and they aren't showing up on eBay too often anymore and most are cracked and worn - or - priced through the roof. Can't do that.

Puttied up the rear clamshell and then threw a coat of primer as it shows me the spots that still need to be worked on when my sense of touch doesn't pick that up. I thought this build would be so much easier than the Jag but it has turned out to be harder. I press on.

IMG_3330.JPG

IMG_3331.JPG

IMG_3333.JPG

IMG_3334.JPG

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
I tried to make some progress before school restarted. This has become so much more involved than I imagined and there are no blue prints of any kind as far as construction blueprints goes. I sanded and painted the front masking off the reduced lights of the head lamps. I cleaned up the vents over the front wheels as well and then shot it with primer to see what other trimming or shaping I needed to do.

One of the things that I was not liking was that the car looked like it was a little to short and too tall in the greenhouse so the remedy was to cut and lower the whole thing by nearly a 1/4" - no small feat given how far I was into this, but I wanted a lower sleeker look and lengthening things is not an option.

Then I decided to remake the side pods in styrene thinking I could bond things together giving more stiffness to the chassis and so that took a bit of doing too, but the results are more to my liking. With the start of the semester and such it will be pretty slow progress but we will see how far we get. Lord willing, I will finish fabricating and be able to focus on painting issues toward the end of the semester.

IMG_3364.JPG

IMG_3363.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG

IMG_3360.JPG

IMG_3359.JPG

dagabba

Supporting Member
Looking fantastic, great to see it all in the grey!

Still amazed at that rear end, such great curves but the styrene is still just skin thick.

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
Looking fantastic, great to see it all in the grey!

Still amazed at that rear end, such great curves but the styrene is still just skin thick.

The curved shapes in back were ready made by using large "wheel pants" for an RC Plane. I found these styrene ones that were 13" long and they became the source for the rear fenders. I used wheel pants on my Fat Cat Speedster Jag project too but they were considerably smaller - about 6." Great Planes made them and unfortunately stopped making the styrene ones doing parts in fiberglass instead, but you can still find them if you search. Without them I wouldn't have had the skills to make those shapes without making wooden bucks and going to vacuum forming which is more than I do with my time or budget. I'll leave those skills to Wesmade!

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
Trying to work away at all the green tape and finish the side pods. I remade them in styrene because I decided that bondin the various pieces together would work better if they were styrene rather than the mix of aluminum and plastic and that would give me a stiffer body which I really needed to have in this thing so they are now all bonded together as one piece. I also got rid of the plastic molding and replaced that with a bent piece of flat aluminum. It was going to be silver anyway and this saves some weight and adds rigidity so win/win. In the side pods are two coffin shaped radiators so I made some facsimiles out of sign board, some mesh, and some aluminum rails. Not fancy by any means as they are not really visible so exact detail is not a deal breaker here. Painted them and fitted them. All good. I filled and sanded and the side pods and threw a coat of primer on them because my sense of touch is not the best and primer shows up the rough spots and makes the smoothing process easier. School is in session and because we are a mix of online and will begin face to face next week, I'm pretty busy and expect to get busier as the semester goes on so my goal was to finish the major build stuff and get some primer on it by the end of summer. I'm not quite there yet but happy to have gotten at least this far. It's getting nearer to what I envision in my head. Lord willing, I hope to finish it off by the end of the year.

This is a very detailed Amalgam model of the car showing the rear radiators and engine bay. Would love to have done more like this but it is way above my skill level!
Ferrari_512S_rear structure.jpg

My crude radiators prior to paint.
IMG_3389.JPG

Painted radiators and unpainted side pods.
IMG_3390.JPG

Put it all together and it starts to look more....well, put together.
IMG_3396.JPG

These tail lights are mock ups and won't be on the finished model.
IMG_3397.JPG

The side view sits a little lower now. I rounded the wheel arches in the rear too. I cannot make it exact, but I'm going for what works and what looks good to my eye.
IMG_3399.JPG

cooper

Well, it's unfair to compare your work to Amalgam's. They have access to the real blueprints and cars. Yours is getting very nice and will run :)

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
Well, it's unfair to compare your work to Amalgam's. They have access to the real blueprints and cars. Yours is getting very nice and will run :)

Thanks. Re: Amalgam, I can neither build with that level of detail nor afford one of their models (Nearly $12,000 USD for the 1:8 Sebring edition 512 S) ! They are spectacular to be sure! I drive it some now in it's unfinished state and it's a lot of fun. That's the main reason I am building it. To get some car tinkering jollies with cars I'd love to experience in real life but don't have the coin to own or build 1:1.

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
Made a few small adjustments and then took it out for a run in he driveway. Lots of fun. Can't wait to get it finished in red, but there's lots of prep work to go for that, and I am not finished with the building part of it. I still have to make the exhaust pipes and figure out some facsimile of the but end of the gear box which is exposed on the short tail version of this car. I cut slots in the nose to more or less mimic the real deal but I won't be putting the fig lamps in the center as on the real car. I worked on tidying up the hoop of the rear clamshell as well as adding the depressions of the rear heat vents. I also cleaned up the rear wheel wells. Finally I decided to enlarge the rear fins more in proportion to the real car and it served to make it look a bit longer which is good because I'm actually working this with a smaller than to scale wheel base on this. I feel like the proportions are about as good as I can get them. Again, lots more to do. Next up is to finish off the windshield hoop so it will hold the windscreen. Also next up is to make the driver. On the Jag I have "Guillermo Del Torso" since he's cut off at the hips. This one will just be the top of the chest and two arms so I'll nick name him something like "Armand Chester." There is not a lot of room in there.

IMG_3421.jpg

IMG_3424.JPG

IMG_3426.JPG