Ford Bronco Concept

Fourth Protocol

V.I.P. Member
Bill suggested I post a thread here, so here goes:

I've been working on a Bronco Concept on a short Ascender chassis (278mm wheelbase). It's my second off-roader (built a Tamiya Mountain Rider a couple months ago), and my first scratch-built body. This is what I'm trying to re-create:

Reference_01.png

I started with the raised lettering for the grill and boot door.

GrillBuild3.jpg

Here's the grill so far (not glued down yet).

GrillBuild7.jpg

Some miss-trials later I eventually made a workable start on the body.

FullBody02.jpg

FullBody03.jpg

FullBody09.jpg

Fully functional (and removable) doors.

Doors03.jpg

Doors04.jpg

And ready for a windshield.

FullBody10.jpg

Then did some more work on the doors.

doors05.jpg

The inside was tricky, because of the door frame and sills. I've not covered the edges on the left and bottom because I'm waiting for better magnets - the little 3mm x 1mm ones I have aren't quite up to the job. Going to do the other door before starting on the insides of the doors.

doors06.jpg

Fourth Protocol

V.I.P. Member
Solved my tyre issues today. The Ascender's stock 1.9 Super Swampers are too big, so I tried on a set of 1.55 RC4WD Rock Crushers, which are too small. The final choice was based on tyre size alone (tread pattern wouldn't have been my first choice), but they're a good fit. 1.9 RC4WD Mud Thrashers, which look suspiciously like BFG Mud Terrains before the re-design.

1.9 Vaterra Interco IROK Super Swampers - 4.5" (115 mm) diameter

wheels04.jpg

1.9 RC4WD Mud Thrashers- 3.85" (98 mm) diameter (some Dick Cepek wheels are on order)

wheels05.jpg

1.55 RC4WD Rock Crusher X/T - 3.7" (93.9mm) diameter

wheels06.jpg

And that's where I'm at.

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Yeah, I'd say it's a good thing Bill suggested you post this here. :lol:

Wow sir. Excellent start, can't wait to see more. In terms of the tires, I think you need to go for something larger than the 1.55's you've been posting. The Mud Thrashers are close, but maybe the DC Mud Country's.

Keep going! ::2thumbs

Fourth Protocol

V.I.P. Member
Thank you :-) The DC Mud Country's are a good suggestion. I've spent a small fortune on wheels and tires over the last week, so going with the Mud Thrashers for now. Or Ms. Protocol will file for divorce :-/

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Thank you :-) The DC Mud Country's are a good suggestion. I've spent a small fortune on wheels and tires over the last week, so going with the Mud Thrashers for now. Or Ms. Protocol will file for divorce :-/

Sounds to me like you're doing it right!

joe122

Incredible start, great detail - especially with a body with so many compound angles. Will follow your progress for sure.

Kellerkind

First scatchbuild body? Wow! I guess I could build 100 of them and wouldn't reach this level of craftmanship! Great start. Regards Jens

flacracker

V.I.P. Member
Wow, what a great start. After looking at the tire pics, I think something close to 4.0 OD would look great. Nice thing is on this rig you could get away with 1.9 or maybe even 2.2 rims. It seems to be all the rage these days.

I'm surprised that LoneRanger hasn't been in here to drool yet.....

Last edited:

Fourth Protocol

V.I.P. Member
Ha ha you should see the mistakes I've made on this thing. Thinking of a bloopers post once the truck is done.

But thank you for the comments!

Largely finished both doors (outside only) today, so wanted to get an idea of how this looks with hood and grill in, held in place with tape for now.

fullbody15.jpg

fullbody16.jpg

fullbody17.jpg

Last edited:

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Lookin good (I would like the post but tapatalk won't give me the option)

That's because we don't have a "Like" option here. The idea is to post your "Likes" in the form of comments, constructive criticism and feedback. ;)

Looks a treat sir. You're making quick work of a very complex body. Well done! :biggthumpup: