Full metal Kraz 255 -Work Truck Buildoff-

Bishops RC

Supporting Member
_medium.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

As soon as I saw this work truck build off contest, I was sure I wanted to take part in this. A bit changed winter rc build plans, but a tight schedule makes me push more on this build. Unlike Ural build, i'm gonna do different, complete chassis kit and scratch build metal truck body or Cabin.

I've never built this method before, luckily I have a friend who works as my mentor. It's always something to start with, and the Kraz's cab shapes easily from being the first metal cab

So waiting for truck kit, build materials and parts i was so bored, i made this "orginal" idea of build poster ;)
And scaling the blueprints. Build is gonna be 1:12 scale

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

kraz.jpg

Don't know for sure is there be log carrier or something else mudrunner related?

images (2).jpeglataus (7).jpeglataus (8).jpeg

pera2008

Those are all military trucks and in hands of civil Russians or Ukrainian they carry wood from Syberia forest or somthing like that. Do you find those tires?

Bishops RC

Supporting Member
Those are all military trucks and in hands of civil Russians or Ukrainian they carry wood from Syberia forest or somthing like that. Do you find those tires?

Yep, also Finnish army used these trucks in past for the offroad capabilty and easy maintain with just basic tools. I can't find tires like in those pics, but i got plan how to get close enough.

I like the look of the last one lol

That pic with monster tires was just for attention :lol:

An excellent start to what I'm sure will be a worthy entry!

Thanks, let's hope that i reach for this contest deadline in time ::pray

s-l1600.jpg

After my internet and social media studying and spying of King Kong RC CA30 6x6 truck, i was sure that this chassis i go with. There is not much of videos about king kong RC products and 1:12 scale trucks. So decided to make review video of it:

Truck kit feels rigid and love the chassis scale details. Also independent drive safts for both rear axles is same like in 1:1 Kraz 255 :luv:

King Kong RC eBay store: https://tinyurl.com/yyahloft
CA30 6x6 metal chassis kit: https://tinyurl.com/y4n5kjpl

Next thing is convert chassis to Kraz 255b dimensions, and soon i get steel plates for kraz cabin.

FAH

Looks like an awesome project :D I have a CA30 myself, loved the kit. Had some small problems with some holes having paint in them, would recommend buying some small taps in the correct sizes to clear out the threads :)

Bishops RC

Supporting Member
Looks like an awesome project :D I have a CA30 myself, loved the kit. Had some small problems with some holes having paint in them, would recommend buying some small taps in the correct sizes to clear out the threads :)

I got same small issues, but solved them by using better and harder screws.

Now i got build rolling on. At first about 70mm chassis extension.

FullSizeRender (1).jpgFullSizeRender.jpgIMG_0649.jpg

Also rear axles wheelbase must be extented.

3D0A18BC-5258-43EC-ADC8-4524CEB6705B.jpg

Some m3 rod and rodends covered with brass tube to change rear wb.

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

Tires are from King Kong RC Q187 Mud moster truck https://www.ebay.com/itm/105mm-1-75-Tires-2pc-Tractor-Trailer-Truck-1-75-Wheel/143001941278hash=item214b94751e:g:TXsAAOSwdHpb3-cy

Tires are not like most Krazs have, but i try my best to modify them. Power drill shaving on tire profile edges.

IMG_0665.jpg

Much better, plannig use dremel to make slugs on tire thread.

IMG_0679.jpg

Finally i got the steel plate 0,2mm thick for body work. Normal good scissors will cut this plate.

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

From this update to next one, hopefully there is some learning from body build progress.

neruda

Supporting Member
I have driven one 1:1 Kraz in Finnish army so I have some kind of love/hate relationship to these. Surely will follow this one, already looks very promising!!

Bishops RC

Supporting Member
Oh man! Love me some Russian 6x6's. This is going to be sweet!

Somehow, i feel it too :luv:

I have driven one 1:1 Kraz in Finnish army so I have some kind of love/hate relationship to these. Surely will follow this one, already looks very promising!!

My army time, i drove only Gaz 66 and Uaz 4x4. And i heard legend that Kraz steering was quite interesting. Power steering only to other side..
Gaz 66 is my worst driving experience what comes in driving ergonomics, small cabin and gear stick is allmost behind the back on your right side. But loved the v8 petrol engine and the inflatable tires.

Good idea with the tires, looking nice :)

Did you paint your axles?

Thanks FAH! No, did not paint the axles. In CA30 promo pics axles are not painted. But they came painted.

FAH

Thanks FAH! No, did not paint the axles. In CA30 promo pics axles are not painted. But they came painted.

Mine didn't come painted! But I got the first batch so might be painted now days :) Looks good either way!

Can't wait for the cab to take form :D

Bishops RC

Supporting Member
Mine didn't come painted! But I got the first batch so might be painted now days :) Looks good either way!

Can't wait for the cab to take form :D

Thanks FAH!

Okey, first steps taken on metal body build. 60w soldering iron and tin, easy to joint thin steel. First square brass pipe to hold the shape.

2019-11-15 10_24_37.jpg

2019-11-15 11_00_30.jpg

2019-11-15 11_41_20.jpg

To attach side panels, decided to make front grill frame where to joint sides.

2019-11-15 13_37_47.jpg
2019-11-15 15_18_36.jpg

Wish i had more time on workshop this week, hopefully i get more on next one.

Bishops RC

Supporting Member
Something must have gone wrong, my latest post isn't here...? Anyway then have to do big update post.

Kraz cabin back wall. Most of them have back window. I do it later.

1.jpg
2.jpg

And some tin filling. Good thins with tin is that you can directly go sanding and grind the fillings.

3.jpg

Result of cabin back wall, and doors cutted then re attach.

7.jpg

First roller pic :cool:

6.jpg

Then was little trouble, how you do windshield frame and piece behind the hood? Couple prototype pieces and days later, something workable came.

8.jpg
9.jpg

If you can't made the piece, put scrap metal and tin :biggthumpup:

10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg

Then engine bay vent on sides before front wheel fenders

14.jpg

Okey here we are now. Next is the hood or fenders.

raven62

Wow. Very nice metal-handling. Chapeau!

But: Is this method stable enough to survive a roller without a total lost?

Bishops RC

Supporting Member
I'm very impressed. Metal work looks like it is very challenging.

Thanks itguy. It is challenging, for a beginner, and Kraz has easy shapes. Next metal build will be easier ::2thumbs

Wow. Very nice metal-handling. Chapeau!

But: Is this method stable enough to survive a roller without a total lost?

Thanks raven62. I'm quite sure that body will take "normal" roll overs. 0,2mm Thin steel plates are pretty solid when they are soldered on to the shapes. I'm assuming that total body weight is gonna be little bit more than if the body was abs plastic.

Kraz cabin section is now quite rigid. I'm not worried that body would get damaged. And mostly i'm gonna drive it scale realisticly ::D:

Bishops RC

Supporting Member
This update is for the Hood and grill. Every part starts with flat plate :hmmm:

1.jpg

After pending with fingers and some scrap metal pipe it slowly takes the shape.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Front of the hood, shaped with multiple pieces and TIN :lol:

9.jpg

10.jpg

Grill was just cut and solder job. It take time but was worth it.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Good feeling when build moves on, but there is only under 2 months left of this build off. So i must turn the screw more on work pench ::2thumbs