GCM TJ build

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
Hey y'all. I'm on it again. Dang just can't stop...
This one is going to stretch me out a bit.. I'm going to make it a bit too strong and see what it can take, while looking rad at the same time... Plus I've already determined I have to make rims now, thanks to the offset being too wide for me. I have to bring each wheel in a full 1/4 inch to make it look this way.. .but I am determined! FUN!
Going for this look:

rubi004.jpg

rubi005.jpg

rubi006.jpg

I want to do the center transfer case out of aluminum. Another thing I had on the bench for 2 years.
Also want the lipo down low, and it can easily fit under the floor and still have a full skidplate to cover it.. Nice! Also want the drive system up front under the hood, with the esc and RX up high out of harms way. There are 2 challenges with this. 1: Frame and 2: protection. The whole thing has to hold the body with the stock body mounting locations, and also FIT. and fit well. so it's going to be a dandy on the design side... :Wow1: We'll see how this goes..... Big plans.. Big plans!

rubi007.jpg

Last edited:

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
I fully intend to remove the doors also, hence the title. That's going to be my first styrene experience, and that should be fun and messy. Also intend to carpet the floor, fabric the seats, and make some sort of scale looking suspension setup. Man, this is getting tougher by the minute... wow. Back to the bench!

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
Some progress on the layout.
I started backwards, and did the skidplate layout first.. Thought that might help me develop the placement for the frame and go from there....
It looks like this, flat on the bottom of the runnning boards... or what there is of them anyway. Trying to keep stuff low, but there is not much room in this tiny thing with the large interior hogging all the space :laugh:

rubi008.jpg

The motor fits right to the hood and then fits level to the skidplate. That's fine with me... barely fits in there...

rubi009.jpg

My favorite part is my 5a lipo will go right in between the floor and the skidplate area and be flat and safe in there... likely turn it the other way in the final design, but that depends on the frame... atleast there is space for it.

rubi010.jpg

As you can see with the layout basically done (no t-case yet) the rims are a 1/4 inch too much offset. I think it should be narrowed, and by all checking so far, it looks like it would still work just fine that way, considering the steering and all...

rubi011.jpg

B

Bodywerx

For the wheels, shave the hex back 1/8 - 1/4 for the offset.

Looking good Chris.

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Subscribed!
Great idea using plexi to lay the floor pan out so you can see all the components.

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
got TONS done on this so far..

rubi012.jpg

Ghetto'd the links on with tierods, so I can check lengths, got the whole thing sprung using sedan coil-overs (haha) and it's great. Now here's the last step before real metal starts to fly...
the center transfer case:

tcase000.jpg

So for the workings it has this inside:
2 of these RPP hard steel pinions,
1 of these stub axles with the thread cut off, and you just grind a little flat for the gear setscrew,
and 4 of these 5x11 bearings for the housing fitment,
The output shaft for the axle drives is made from this 5mm shaft with flats on it for the axial type outdrive universals and the gear inside.
The case is screwed together with 3 m3 screws and it's sort of interlocking, so it has to be in the right place when you screw it together.
Should be plenty tough. I have to get this made up this week and stick it into the bottom of the jeep to see where it's going to fit, but the thing is very compact... is't only .82 x .88 x 1.9 with the mounting tabs included, so it's small enough for sure..
More later........

C

Code454

sweet tcase ive wanted to do that just wasnt sure of all the parts exactly but i will keep this in mind :beerchug:

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
got some details done.. and it doesn't even run... haha! Odd. I normally do the driveline first... must be getting old or insane or something. Anyway...
Did up a dash sticker from a google search for the dash, did some green backgrounds where it seemed to fit, and got my cute little 8 ball shifter in it! haha!

rubi013.jpg

Got some carpet in it, did some beltline blacking out, and some other little cleanups inside.

rubi014.jpg

Well, I learned a neat trick for removing stickers: HEAT. get the stickers nice and hot with the hair dryer, and really hot.. like almost melted. Then start to peel. They come off like microwaved butter.. just amazing, no glue left or anything. Could even re-use the stickers if you wanted to .. Also tinted the front light lenses, and got some other exterior trim cleaned up, so it's cool now....

rubi015.jpg

rubi016.jpg

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
more pics. I got the bumper braces done today, so it won't turn into recycled plastic on impact..haha
The beadlock rings are 2.5mm and they came from a cutter in our town someplace.. they came with the wheels when I got them. Nicely done.

rubi017.jpg

rubi018.jpg

rubi019.jpg

sure hope I get some time next week to cut the transfer case.. that's all that's left to get the thing running.

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
They do look good, first combo I've liked with those Axial wheels...Jeep's looking great Chris!

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
t case is here: this is the guts of the thing. Simple and strong as anything. And very small.

tcase001.jpg

Getting it together: easy bearing inserts, simple any way assembly: shafts out any side, any way you want it.
hardened gears on the shaft flats. Simple.

tcase003.jpg

tcase004.jpg

this makes possible the easy and low mounting of the drivetrain, and a new position for the transmission. Nice. I like this setup, and it's small and looks great on the truck.

tcase006.jpg

Now off to map out the frame for this thing. It's so tight it gives me a headache..... but I've driven it on the indoor course here, and it's strong, and real good feeling, so I'm going to press on with it. More later..

J

Jester

Wow, great looking t-case. Whats the going rate for that puppy?

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
I should have some production units done this week, and maybe you want to be the guinea pig?

J

Jester

I should have some production units done this week, and maybe you want to be the guinea pig?

Oh I'd like to be a guinea pig.:)
Those looks like a awesome product I'd be interested in knowing more about them.price, gear ratio, etc etc. Feel free to PM if you don't want to post it here yet.
Cheers

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
the gear ratio is 1:1, so that's no change. both 20t 32p gears with 5mm shafts.
pricing i will find out when I get the production units done this week.
Solid billet aluminum for each half, secured with m3 screws, one new shaft is included (maybe 2 if you don't use a pede axle.... have to check on that)
More later...

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Looks killer Chris...should I send paypal now?
Will you be making mounts to go with the Cross Canyon frames?