Hakosuka GTR

Lem

that looks fantastic.
If you wanna try out 0.15mm aluminium sheets you can get them at a local print factory. It is usually waste they have to recycle and pay for, at least here in my country. I get that stuff for free just asking if they can give me some plates for modelling.

Frederik

Supporting Member
that looks fantastic.
If you wanna try out 0.15mm aluminium sheets you can get them at a local print factory. It is usually waste they have to recycle and pay for, at least here in my country. I get that stuff for free just asking if they can give me some plates for modelling.

That's interesting, here they actually sell this aluminum to recycling companies for lots of money.

One other way to have an aluminum look and have some thickness, you could use air ducts aluminum tape (actual aluminum with an adhesive backing) and put several layers.

It is thin enough to form to crisp shapes, but much thicker than regular aluminum foil. So you could form them to crisp details and they would stick, then you add a layer and form it again (put the tape in perpendicular direction), maybe that would end up with a nice aluminum piece.

Ghostpig

V.I.P. Member
This looks incredibly realistic!

Thank you!

Lem said:
that looks fantastic.

Thanks and thanks for the tip! I have ordered some 0.15mm tin plate and I'll try that first.

Frederik said:
One other way to have an aluminum look and have some thickness, you could use air ducts aluminum tape (actual aluminum with an adhesive backing) and put several layers.

It is thin enough to form to crisp shapes, but much thicker than regular aluminum foil. So you could form them to crisp details and they would stick, then you add a layer and form it again (put the tape in perpendicular direction), maybe that would end up with a nice aluminum piece.

That's an interesting idea. I may try that if everything else fails. But I'm going to paint it so it really doesn't matter what the material is.

I have now started making the dummy S20 engine. Some styrene, brass tube, M0.8 and M1.4 bolts. I have used my Tamiya Skyline 2000 GT-R scale model kit engine as a reference and a bunch of pics that I found in the web. There will be other stuff and details too. But next I'll tackle the exhaust piping.

GSCS2Ei.jpg

Wpn2u8Q.jpg

Other news is that I'll re-do the electronics layout. That's because I have bought some seats and I want to do nearly a full interior. Battery will go in the trunk and I think I'll have to cut the trunk lid open too. Might be a bit tail heavy and tail happy to drive but I have a smaller 2s lipo if it's too hard. There's also radiator in the front. I got the RC4WD radiator. It looks nice but it's quite wide. It fits but I might have to modify it. The dummy engine needs to be shaped to fit better.

eAPFwGQ.jpg

nlMSNuN.jpg

SNU35NI.jpg

5EmID27.jpg

MrMWr6G.jpg

2Beers

It's me again.
Beautiful work on the engine. It's a thing of beauty no doubts.

Chassis coming along super fantastic too.
My eye's are happy ::2thumbs

Ghostpig

V.I.P. Member
Your engine looks awesome! Love the front view with the radiator.

Thank you!

Beautiful work on the engine. It's a thing of beauty no doubts.

Chassis coming along super fantastic too.
My eye's are happy ::2thumbs

Thank you! I'm glad that I was able to please your eyes.

Fantastic! Great job on the insides... where's the steering servo?

Thanks! Servo is behind the driver's seat. Right side that is.

I've got some more work done but now I should really focus on how to attach the body.

I have exhaust piping.
G9WhwGG.jpg

The engine has some piping too.
R9afZ70.jpg

Hood details done in 0.15mm aluminium and glued in place.
TDPcJFM.jpg

And I made a new smaller radiator that fits better.
78qvRuG.jpg

XMjomtO.jpg

S8TCEE6.jpg

dagabba

Supporting Member
Ah yes, I've found the servo now, very cunning!

Engine details are gorgeous, this is coming along beautifully!

Frederik

Supporting Member
Very nice engine details and underside view! I would really like to see a video of the moving parts, cycling the front suspension, rear suspension, steering it etc. After such nice work designing it all, I would love seeing the geometry do it's thing.

And that is a very nice driveshaft, is it the RC4WD ultrascale or something else?

Ghostpig

V.I.P. Member
wonderful detail ::2thumbs

Yep, this is amazing.

Incredible attention to details!

Ah yes, I've found the servo now, very cunning!

Engine details are gorgeous, this is coming along beautifully!

The underside and that exhaust run look awesome Ghostpig!

Eye popping details!!!! Love that engine work!!!

Thanks everyone!

Very nice engine details and underside view! I would really like to see a video of the moving parts, cycling the front suspension, rear suspension, steering it etc. After such nice work designing it all, I would love seeing the geometry do it's thing.

And that is a very nice driveshaft, is it the RC4WD ultrascale or something else?

Thank you, Frederik!
I'll try to take a video next weekend. And the drive shaft is Hercules Hobby 1/14 tractor truck aluminum drive shaft.

I have started making the interior. Dash and center console under construction. I will route the motor/esc wires through the center console. But I should really try to get the body mounted. I've been postponing it too much.

GZktNsh.jpg

Chafa

Thanks everyone!

Here's how the diff goes together.
The pinion and ring gear are from SSD, locker is 3d printed to fit Tamiya TT-02 joints. M1.6, M2 and M2.5 screws. I used some dumb sized bearings that I didn't have while designing the locker, so I had to use styrene tubing to fit the larger bearings but it works though. Needs shimming.

dNxm6tC.jpg

GJiq3hW.jpg

sYR28ci.jpg

979JT7V.jpg

NBkFN9K.jpg

MwZcg9c.jpg

g1VNh1O.jpg

QcghSeM.jpg

8a0x1gw.jpg

cfuePKa.jpg

20zEkHW.jpg

SVLVVX5.jpg

Here's the gearbox.
RC4WD R4 transmission gears, M2.5 screws.

Uvpe71o.jpg

2L2Eb6u.jpg

lNRpo1B.jpg

AUvsaO0.jpg

eXR2pWF.jpg

cLVNH9Y.jpg

CvVNRdm.jpg

eCCkIpa.jpg

eRthflv.jpg

This is fantastic!!

Ghostpig

V.I.P. Member
Time to get this Hako done!

I've finally figured out how to mount the body. I'll use some magic... or magnets. Those two always mix up. Nothing to show yet but soon I'll make something.

Also I've been tinkering with the hood hinges and today I made a proto hinge out of 0,3mm tin plate.

xnEUQ5a.jpg

ePQ8GeB.jpg

Frederik

Supporting Member
Very nice piece! Did you cut it freehand with regular tools? It looks very even and straight, looks like it is laser cut!