Hard Body Materials

FrozenPhyro

Supporting Member
Hey All,

Do any of you know what material the Injora/China JKs are made out of? Or do you know if Plastistruct will bond styrene to them?

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Most injection molded bodies are some form of styrene/ABS. I haven't built one in some time, but if I recall, yes, styrene will bond.

VR6 BeelzeDub

Did you get a chance to try it out yet? I'm curious as I've had mixed results using Plastistruct with styrene on these bodies... CA works really well to bond but I've yet to see how it holds up on the rocks.

FrozenPhyro

Supporting Member
No, I haven’t yet. Life got a bit busy recently. Got everything bought though, so going to attempt it this Sunday.

pardonmyn00b

What the hell was that?!
Did you get a chance to try it out yet? I'm curious as I've had mixed results using Plastistruct with styrene on these bodies... CA works really well to bond but I've yet to see how it holds up on the rocks.
While CA works to hold styrene to bodies it won’t hold on for long. You need the welding effect that a solvent gives for strength. However you might need something more potent than Plastruct like acetone or MEK substitute.

VR6 BeelzeDub

While CA works to hold styrene to bodies it won’t hold on for long. You need the welding effect that a solvent gives for strength. However you might need something more potent than Plastruct like acetone or MEK substitute.
Balls... you're right. Plastistruct SORT of worked but I secured it with CA and backed with thin layer of e6000 (fingers crossed).

So what's a good MEK substitute and what kind of acetone? I've seen this answered before but I must be getting old.