Honch Hauler

S

SlowKrawl

Well ever since I have known about the RC world, I have always wanted a trailer. This isn't really meant to be scale, and I'm not sure how well it's going to work yet but we will find out! The 1/2 tube might be a bit heavy, 1/2x1/4 might be ideal(if you can find it??) I am probably going to solid mount the axles, as I don't feel like dinking with leafs at the moment. Although I do have some hi-lift leafs here. Anyone think solid mount is a bad idea?? Let me know. Enough babble, here's some pics to feed your eyes.
Trailer001.jpg

Trailer002.jpg

Trailer003.jpg

Trailer004.jpg

Trailer005.jpg

Thoughts, idea's? I'm all ears. Trying not to add to much, as it's going to be a pig as it sits. I am using 3/8x1/2 balsa for the deck, with supports underneath to keep it from flexing.

U

Ugly Duck

If you don't want to do springs, you could try a fixed pivot on a walking beam axle. If you keep the L & R sides separate from each other, it'll float over the ground pretty well. My dad's got a trailer like this for behind his quad, and it cruises bumpy ground pretty nicely. Throw a shock on one end of each beam if you want dampening and limiting, and you're good to go.

S

SlowKrawl

I'm pickin up what your layin down haha. This morning I went ahead with the solid-mount. For the amount of use the trailer is going to see I want to keep it simple. It's a roller now, still quite a bit left to do though.

E

ecoli

All 1/2" tubing hey? That sucker's going to weigh a ton. You don't need to worry about suspension, it'll just crush the ground underneath it :laugh:

What I did for the military style trailer I built was painstakingly split 1/2" square tubing in half for the sides with a dremel and cutoff wheel. I kept it super simple with leafs as well. Just attached the ends directly to some solid mounts I brazed to the underside of the trailer then bent some allthread around the axle and through the leaf holes. No shackles, hangers, perches, etc. It seemed to work. Heck, it's a trailer.

You can see the details in the trailer I built here:

http://www.crawlcanada.com/forum/showpost.php?p=59128&postcount=14

and here:

http://www.crawlcanada.com/forum/showpost.php?p=59816&postcount=23

So with this trailer I can now save battery life and have you haul my rig to the trail head. Good thinking Matt :laugh:

S

SlowKrawl

It is pretty heavy, but not as heavy as I imagined I guess. I thought about cutting the tubing in half, but the trailer is frickin' huge for doing that. It's like 26" long by 10" wide...