How to wire LEDs

HeyOK

HeyOK Performance
Yes, every LED gets its own resistor and you can connect as many as you want that way.

HeyOK

HeyOK Performance
Just continue on in the same way you see in this picture.

Al_J_2013_0014_zpsd35945e5.jpg

Shannwah

G'day Champions.
Great tutorial.
Forgive me for a possible silly question, but why are the resistors on the negative side of the LEDs? I've never seen that done before and always thought they need to be on the positive side to limit the current before it goes through the LED, or does this not matter?

HeyOK

HeyOK Performance
Great tutorial.
Forgive me for a possible silly question, but why are the resistors on the negative side of the LEDs? I've never seen that done before and always thought they need to be on the positive side to limit the current before it goes through the LED, or does this not matter?
Thank you.
This is a good question. The answer is that it doesn't matter. These two parts are in series with each other, therefore all the current that flows through the LED has to flow through the resistor. The important thing here is to get the polarity on the LED correct as it won't light up if you get that wrong.

Cheers,
Al

Shannwah

G'day Champions.
Right, so even though the power going fron the battery to the first LED doesnt have a resistor, the resistance is still there because the current is coming back in a continuous "circle" of the series circuit just between the two LEDs.....right?!!!!

HeyOK

HeyOK Performance
Uh, I think so...
Each LED has a resistor in series with it. You can connect these circuits in parallel with each other.

Tommy R

Glad to hear it!

I guess I should offer this:

I have both 5mm and 3mm White and Red LEDs - the very bright kind (don't ask how many mCd they are, I don't know). I also have the resistors for the LEDs to run at 6 volts as per my tutorial.

$1 for a pair of LEDs complete with a pair of resistors. Shipping is extra.

Al, is this offer still valid? If so, I'm very interested! Also, do you have orange/amber LEDs available?

Thanks!!
Tommy

Shannwah

G'day Champions.
Make use of the old servo cable.

Al_J_2013_0016_zps0396959a.jpg

Another simple question....don't laugh!!

If looking at any brand of this type of cable and plug from the same angle as in this pic....is the signal wire always in the same position? I have some laying around and the red always seems to be in the middle ie: positive, but the other two are sometimes different colours depending on the brand. Just want to be sure before I start cutting and plugging in!! Cheers.

HeyOK

HeyOK Performance
With the cables that I have, the center always seem to be red. The negative lead can be brown or black and the signal lead can be orange or white.

DRW-FJ40

chicks dig small trucks
This is great. thanks for taking the time. We all have our strengths and weeknesses and mine is wiring. I typically purchase pre-wired sets from RC Lighthouse for that plug-n-play experience but I think I could take a stab at it after reading this. Thanks again.

Spidubic

Just want to thank Al for this awesome writeup on wiring LEDs. Purchased the "Brake, Reverse, Driving Light Controller with Auto Hazard Lights" and decided to give wiring the LEDs up a shot. So far so good. Headlights and brake lights wired, liquid electrical tape drying as I type. Hazard lights are next.

Soldering job is not the best but the connections are solid. Wiring my own LEDs is allowing me to keep the wiring short and not have any excess. Nice and neat. Of course the controller is icing on the cake and takes this from just Lights to something cool. Thanks again Al!