Ideas for inner fenders on my scale 1980s Chevy van

VoiceoverMatt

Hi Everyone....

I?m new here and to scale trail trucks, but not to rc.

I?m trying to come up with the best idea for creating scale looking inner fenders for my van. I thought I would see what the talented people here might think.....
0a2a59f1618dbc34b94c221c42ee74cc.jpg

2d16d99ba54a68a0d24a37bd6897156e.jpg

c76d0aa3c7182e9f61ce0746489a3462.jpg

c449190537b4096cb21a78672494d5e4.jpg

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caprinut

I have used tupperware plastic bins with the diameter I needed and cut them in half and mounted them to the shock towers.
Like those found in dollarstores etc.

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Since you've 3D printed a body there, why not design up some inner fenders in your preferred design program? That's what I've been doing, or even quicker, find a set on Thingiverse!

Small Factory

Fancy-Walkin'
I just stopped in to say that body is amazing. My family used to have one in light blue. Love that generation Chevy van.

VoiceoverMatt

@imthatguy...I am working on a design, but sometimes people have pretty smart ideas, like the Tupperware one. Thanks for your suggestion.

VoiceoverMatt

@smallfactory....thank you. I wanted something different and always thought the 4x4 Chevy vans were so cool. I will update progress if anyone is interested.

pardonmyn00b

What the hell was that?!
@smallfactory....thank you. I wanted something different and always thought the 4x4 Chevy vans were so cool. I will update progress if anyone is interested.

I?m interested in updates. I printed one of these vans myself. Just waiting for time to build it up.

Last edited:

VoiceoverMatt

a7280f689e0ad9a340129038f22c5a06.jpg

Base paint down, graphics, grill detail and weathering next! Im glad I got back into RC. Things have come a long way from my race days with Tamiya?s Frog and Blackfoot!

dagabba

Supporting Member
Looks great!

There are a few different ways you can go-

Easiest is cups/tuperware cut up...
You can also use styrene or 3d print something...

But probably the most noticeable change would be to use smaller wheels/tyres and drop the ride height.

VoiceoverMatt

@dagabba...thank you. Those are good suggestions. I have some 1.7 and 1.55 wheels and tires coming in and will play with the ride height.

VoiceoverMatt

@imthatguy...being that it was an FDM printed body, there were a lot of lines. I have about 5 hours of sanding, but I have an electric micro sander that I swear by. Also used Probond wood filler to help with the line problem. It?s not perfect, but it?s the first body I 3D printed, so I?m pleased. I?m printing a 2010 Tahoe right now with Spidermaker matte filament, which seems to do better with the lines.

dagabba

Supporting Member
Wow, just seen there was a whole first page to this- doh!

That's a great job on a 3d printed body, looking smooth!!