JasonC's Sprint2 Drift

J

JasonC

I have the itch to drift, and when I found out how cheap it was (-$200 after taxes) to get a decent drift chassis I was all over it.

I only have one pic right now, no body shots, because I am trying my hardest at making this body turn out great....(have to comete with KJ since he has the same body)

I will be sure to grab a few more pics today:
DSC00296.jpg

J

JasonC

I only got the electronics it in it at about 10 pm lastnight. I have to reprogram the sidewinder and adjust the servo.

I have been busy working on my paint all morning. I want this bad boy to turn out good!

I

Islander

i'd love to hear your opinion on the S2D. i've wanted one for awhile, but i'm also looking at the Yokomo drifter and not sure which one is better quality, or has the most hop-ups available and all that.

post pics of the paint progess too

J

JasonC

I don't think I would be the person to tell you how the S2D is for a drifter, since this is my first one, and I have nothing to compare it to.

I can however tell you what I think of the quality. I am very impressed with it out of the box. I purchased the kit that had no electronics, and it was $170+tax. What I got for that kind of money blows me aways. I am super happy with the chassis and the body is great, I got a total of 3 different sticker sheets to work with to customize the body. This kit makes it really easy for people to get started.

Hop-ups include carbon fiber upper/lower decks and shock towers. I have seen that you can get 3Racing shocks for a Hot Bodies Cyclone that fit perfectly on this chassis for $28CAN on ebay.

I was thinking about the Yokomo drifter, and what kept me from going with it was the issue with spare parts. With this kit I can get the replacement arms and hubs for about $7 per pair from my LHS where with the Yok. I was going to have to order them and pay shipping. That issue might be different with you.

Here is a great thread I read that showed me how much I will be able to wrench and adjust on my car over the winter:
http://www.drccentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13800
There is a guy in that thread that lists a bunch of parts that will work.

I must return to my stickering and completing this kit. I just took a few minutes away to come and check my ebay listing.

Keep watching, more updates later today.

J

JasonC

Here are the pics, I was going for a replaced quarter panel and head light. They are painted flat black on the outside to give them texture, and black on the inside, so when they scratch up it doesn't stand out like a really bad sore thumb.

I also painted between the windows black, to carry the window lines, I find it makes most vehicles look better...again flat on the outside, patined on the inside.

I still have to make a roll gace for it and figure out some kind of floor....but I don't have styrene or anywhere to get it, so I have to fget creative.

On the chassis I am going to lock the rear diff, check the shocks oil levels and also cut the rear bulk head out, to keep things from getting stuck in there and tearing one of my belts. Then I can take it out tomorrow and give it a run (weather pending).

Last edited:

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Very nice choice J, lovin the replacement panels on the passenger side, very nice touch with the decal missing and the flat black!
What are you doing for the cage?
I'm thinking drinking straws adhered with shoe goo to keep the weight down.
Will post up pics of mine with the promissed airbrushing info this week.
Keep the pics coming :popcorn:

J

JasonC

Very nice choice J, lovin the replacement panels on the passenger side, very nice touch with the decal missing and the flat black!
What are you doing for the cage?
I'm thinking drinking straws adhered with shoe goo to keep the weight down.
Will post up pics of mine with the promissed airbrushing info this week.
Keep the pics coming :popcorn:

I added the cage, you can see it in these pics. They were already red and I was tired of black and white, so I left them as is. I hot glued (didn't hurt the paint one bit...faskolor paint) the cage in. I will snap a pic of it later for you Kev, works great and looks killer....what do you think of the size of them? I find they fit perfect.

I saw the term "Boro" used on another forum. I guess it is used for cars that have been repaired and patched endlessly so it can still run. I really like that idea so I am running with it.

I heated a knife to cut a chunk of my bumper and wheel well flare off. As long as I worked on not making the cuts perfectly smooth, to make it look like a break from hitting something. Before I did that though, I put a finishing nail in a set of vice grips, heated the nail (using a zippo....longgggggg) and punched all of the holes. This way, the holes lined up a little better and I was able to know I had enough holes and it was easier to make the holes. After that I took small 1"ish peices of furnace wire and bent them into U shapes with needle nose pliers. I then stuck them in an x pattern through the holes and twisted the 4 ends of the wire making the x, together. I snipped them short and covered the tips with hot glue to cover all of the sharp points.

The cut off parts didn't line up perfectly after...and why should they, this is a patch to get me back out and running. When the parts where stitched back together, they cause a hump in the fender and altereted the shape of the shell a little. Thats fine, when you hit something, you do damage and twist and bend stuff, so the look just ads to it.

Since this is a 1/10 scale car, I took a peice of duct tape and cut it into 10 strips....makes sense right? The duct tape is there for added support and works in a pinch when you run out of time from having to stitch your body back together.

Last edited:
J

JasonC

I also just ordered a bunch of new goodies for the car. Some are for xmas and some arent.

Here is what I have coming:
Subaru 200mm shell
2 sets of wheels
yokomo brake rotor/hubs and license plates
16 drift tires
carbon fibre fr and rr shock towers
HPI Aluminum shock set
Front one-way diff
HPI tuner kit

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Wow, that thing's looking killer!
The cage looks perfect and I agree on the red, helps it stand out a bit more.
But......nothing can touch that duct tape patch job....that's the icing on the cake! :biggthumpup: