Kev's new shop/shops.

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
As many already know in less than 2 weeks we're moving back to the North Shore. Real estate is absolutely insane and unless we had 649 (redneck retirement fund) behind us there's now way to get the same setup as we have currently.

One of the stressful parts was finding a spot to set up shop in a condo setting. Well the RC gods must have been looking down on us...

The second bedroom in the condo will be set up as the hobby room and I can take care of all my modeling, assembly and detail work in there....no big deal.

It was the messy stuff I was concerned about.
It's pretty hard to be doing metal work and painting in a spare bedroom but the new place has it covered...

The new place is in an adult only building that has a large portion of it's owners as retirees.
About 8 of the guys decided a few thousand square feet in the basement should be hobby workshop.
So....

We've got a few cabinet makers that decided they'd rather carve boats and wood ducks instead and there's loads of professional grade tools that we (the key holders) share. Man I couldn't believe this.
When I let them know what I do they got pretty damn exited. The other day when picking up the keys and doing another walk through I found out the head of the president and vice pres are both RC boat guys (tugs and sail boats). This is going to be fun!

I shot a bit of video to show you guys but for now just took a few screens...

This is one of the scratch build boats down there
Grabbed_Frame_103.jpg

So this back wall is to be my spot. All my benches will be on casters so I can move things around.
Grabbed_Frame_104.jpg

Grabbed_Frame_105.jpg

Grabbed_Frame_106.jpg

Grabbed_Frame_107.jpg

Grabbed_Frame_108.jpg

Grabbed_Frame_109.jpg

Grabbed_Frame_110.jpg

Will be sure to update you guys on both the hobby room and shop as I go!

Last edited:

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
What a brilliant solution. Did you know about this prior to moving in?

I only wish that my condo had something similar going on. All young people, and around 60% renters give or take. None of the owners, like myself are into hobbies at all. Count your lucky stars.

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
When we were shopping around this was our last stop...after hearing the agent say "and there's a workshop downstairs" my ears perked up. Almost to the point of ignoring the fact we just bought a condo that needs an entire reno! :huh: We ended up buying a box with a fireplace in it....but who cares, look at the shop right? evil

Darwin came with me and did the home inspection and I think he thought it was pretty cool.

I think being in a building that's owner occupied only makes a difference. However there's no reason you can't talk to your board to see if one of the lower utility areas in your building could become a community space? They do the same thing with games rooms, party rooms and guest suites right?

curly

you may have just got a whole lotta friends

yup it is one nice space lots of options

C

Code454

Wow you really lucked out that is awesome Kev good to know you got a work spot:biggthumpup:

Gonzo007

Hey Kevin

I am glad you where able to still have access to a shop. I look forward to reading about your new creations you will be building down there. I can only guess one what you will be able to accomplish now that you will have your commute time back.

Colin

R

rainclod

Hey welcome to the north shore unglewd. The land of the newly wed and nearly dead....
:luxhello:

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Man it's so nice to be heading back...anyone who's lived up there knows that it's hard to match locations.
We have another week or so till we move but I get over the bridge early and just go in and pretend we're there for a half hour or so. I will be adding 5 hrs to my day for other things besides sitting in traffic so you guys will be seeing much more of me on the rocks and online once we get settled in.
Can't wait to grab a coffee and head to Wytecliff without having to take a vacation!!!

Will get you guys the full tour once i get settled in.

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
sick. very good idea with a community shop below, and owner access only. Me like!

B

BC_4RUNNER

Welcome back from the wack Kevin. Where in North Van is it? I look forward to getting out on more trail runs with you knwo that you are closer. And planning some LMRCC/CC stuff.......

Headquake

...at the H.O.P.
Cool Kevin. Looks nice. I didn't realize you had such a long commute to bare. Time is a sacred thing. Im glad you are getting more for yourself.
:beerchug:

J

JasonC

Thats an awesome little (huge!) workshop! Nom M can tell her friends she sent you to the basement/dungeon.

Any spots for rent in that building? I would give up my snazy job just to live there.

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Welcome back from the wack Kevin. Where in North Van is it? I look forward to getting out on more trail runs with you knwo that you are closer. And planning some LMRCC/CC stuff.......
Should have more spare time for that for sure...we're in (or will be) in Lynn Valley...lots of great spots around with Lynn Canyon close by.

Cool Kevin. Looks nice. I didn't realize you had such a long commute to bare. Time is a sacred thing. Im glad you are getting more for yourself.
:beerchug:
Commute wouldn't be as bad if we didn't have so many bridges, bad drivers and construction...we have that fixed now though....I only have to cross bridges to go to the Hobby shops and crawlin now!

Thats an awesome little (huge!) workshop! Nom M can tell her friends she sent you to the basement/dungeon.

Any spots for rent in that building? I would give up my snazy job just to live there.
No rentals allowed....you can snatch a unit up though.

E

ecoli

Nice find Kev. We lived in Deep Cove and in the lower part of Lynn Valley when we lived in North Van. Definitely a beautiful part of the lower mainland (though my favourite is still Bowen Island). Crazy expensive though as you said, which is one of the main reasons we moved.

Don't let those boat guys get you out of scale trucks/cars :D!

R

RCFreak

Im glad you found your new digs bud ,and its wicked that you have a work shop there. I was starting to wonder how you would be painting and drilling stuff into the wee hours .. Rustynewfie's last place has a nice color to the patio deck on the 3rd floor hehehe good thing he is in his house now ..

Cant wait for the pics bud .. :biggthumpup:

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Nice find Kev. We lived in Deep Cove and in the lower part of Lynn Valley when we lived in North Van. Definitely a beautiful part of the lower mainland (though my favourite is still Bowen Island). Crazy expensive though as you said, which is one of the main reasons we moved.

Don't let those boat guys get you out of scale trucks/cars :D!

Love deep cove too, one of the nicest spots IMO...great crawlin too!
Will always do trucks...and dabble in the others...I'd put my money on the fact that the boat guys will get drawn to the trucks!

Im glad you found your new digs bud ,and its wicked that you have a work shop there. I was starting to wonder how you would be painting and drilling stuff into the wee hours .. Rustynewfie's last place has a nice color to the patio deck on the 3rd floor hehehe good thing he is in his house now ..

Cant wait for the pics bud .. :biggthumpup:

So happy to get the shop bonus....I was considering the idea of having to spray bodies during late night sessions in parking lots. I can't believe there's only 6 days to go....Packing sucks.

T

true-scalecrawler

haha i hear ya Kev!....im in the middle of packin too as im movin at the end of the month aswell......you never know how much crap you have until you have to pack it all up and move. and yeah, the boat guys will need somethin to pull their boats with lol:rock:

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
haha i hear ya Kev!....im in the middle of packin too as im movin at the end of the month aswell......you never know how much crap you have until you have to pack it all up and move. and yeah, the boat guys will need somethin to pull their boats with lol
Hope you got settled in and in less of a cluster than we are....I can't find anything around here! :huh:

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
I've done almost 4 full builds between the coffee table, kitchen table and this makeshift hobby room....I'm fed up!

shop_10_stp6.jpg

A guy needs to know where his stuff is, yesterday I just couldn't take it anymore so I stripped the wallpaper out of what was the spare bedroom closet. Started with shelves so I can start to put parts away and not have to scrounge through boxes. Ended up with this by 2am...

shop_10_stp7.jpg

Hoping to get to the trim, proper lighting and getting the cabinets in over the next couple of weeks. Man that was 3 hrs of walpaper just for the closet. BTW....who tha hell wallpapers inside a closet including shelves? LOL

Last edited:
C

Code454

that turned out better just need to get rid of the rest of the wallpaper in the room for a better mood color lol, looks nice and clean tho, i have to clean up a little every week or two with my desk so its useable lol:biggthumpup: