::KJ's:: OFFICIAL ICON project scaling down the 44

Shinchu

holy smokes...
i didn't know about this thread until now. its... "incredible" isn't even the word. its... remarkable.

im glad i found this at work so i don't go out in my garage, take one look at my 79 ford ascender and throw it in the trash.

but in all seriousness, this is amazing. truly set the bar for scale builds, imo. thanks for taking your time and sticking with it!

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Finally getting some progress pics up before the video... finding my groove I guess.

Okay so, first off... Exhaust, Managed to get some basic manifolds made, with collectors and flanges. It's not exactly like the stock GM ones but you only see the very tops and the balance is covered by heat shields and the budget is getting tight. The rest of the exhaust is mocked up using 3D printed curves, brass tube and that classic bic lighter muffler. All of the flanges bolt together with scale hardware. Much finishing to do still!

exhaust.jpg
exhaust2.jpg

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Once I had the exhaust in place, I could start into the floors and get the body trued up. After many years, even though there were temporary supports holding together there was some distortion... it's taken care of though and square. The truck will have 2 layers of floor pans and firewall in the center, about 7mm between the two to hide stuff.

floor.jpg

This shot shows the basic structure of the lower floor pan and firewall that will remain bolted up to the chassis when the truck is finished. Also the front bumper's almost figured out and a few more engine details on.

floor2.jpg

Slowly making space for transmission, exhaust and engine and calculating for hiding spaces for electronics.

floor3.jpg

A sneak peek of the upper floor pan, rear wheel tubs and the body sanded and into white primer!

body.jpg

JBailey

I've been following you on Instagram for a while now and this build is simply incredible! I had to go back and read the whole thread to get caught up and it was well worth it!

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Sory for those who follow on IG, these are a duplicate and just wanted to update the thread and keep it running until I bring the build to a close. I took a week off of work to get the chassis work complete, scrambling to get this wrapped up for October!

After a few weeks of test prints (26hrs per seat) Dion's Bestop replica seats turned out killer. The two test pilots are classic Hicks figures that I've been using for ages in my vehicles. Just checking scale and getting excited at this point.

pt10_1.jpg

Here, I managed to get 4 seats knocked out so I could finish the upper floor pans and start taking measurements. I was amazed at the quality and potential of an Ender 3 with a professional (@scaledesignsbymrcommad) building and setting up the files. Seeing these seats is pushing me towards further training before purchasing more hardware!

Today I finished the mock up seat and floor pannel to ship down to Matt's place so he can start into his part of the build. Can't wait till you guys can get your hands on these seats for you builds... you're going to love em!
Thanks you so much Dion for joining me on this build and knocking these little buggers out tha park!!

pt10_2.jpg

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
pt10_4.jpg

Sooo happy to see this thing in satin black, don't get me wrong, brass and primer is pretty neato... but it's been too long. Here, the engine and exhaust were still to go in but I had to do the final engine assembly and get some leads soldered onto the motor. The exhaust went together almost as planned, which is good considering this truck has never been assembled in a full sequence... exhaust before floor, headers after inner fenders... etc. 8hrs later

Here, I'm digging into wiring, will get into details when I record the video but...
Bumper LEDs, Winch, Winch Controller, ESC, ON/OFF switch, Reciever & Battery leads are now all wired and pretty well disguised. They're also all integreated into the chassis and lower floor pan so the only electrics that will need to be unplugged wil be the headlights and marker lights. They'll unplug from the lower section using a Mini Deans plug hidden under the hood.

pt10_6.jpg

Planning on recording Part 10 this coming weekend, back in a bit, thanks for checking out the thread!

MrCommaD

This is really starting to take shape. Thank you very much for pushing through on this amazing build. Definitely worth the wait!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShopGTR

Cruisin'
Brilliant work all around.

I can't believe you're so close to completion. Excited to watch all your amazing details come together.

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
This is really starting to take shape. Thank you very much for pushing through on this amazing build. Definitely worth the wait!!!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brilliant work all around.
I can't believe you're so close to completion. Excited to watch all your amazing details come together.

Thanks guys, it's really nice to build again, even though the fumes and bench time has been kicking my ass quite a bit. In a big way, also a relief to finally be fulfilling the commitments I made to Johnathan, Nobel and the builders that have helped with the special components, so long ago, all have been very patient. It's been fun to return to the forum and join in on the SBG InstaGram fun that haden't existed when I left. I tell you there's a bunch of pressure when I see the builds guys like yourselves are turning out now... it's exhausting to try and compete with the quality and the pace these days.
I broke 1000hrs quite some time ago, so I too, can't believe that I can see the end. Now that I can play with all of the little details, it's getting much more interesting, it's nice to sit in the shop, have a coffee and stare at it for a while.

Kinda wish I could have turned out this one last RCCA article as planned, but that juice just wasn't worth the squeeze any more. I appreciate all who have followed so far, I'm still amazed how many views the thread has gotten.