::KJ's:: OFFICIAL ICON project scaling down the 44

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Here with another installment, PT.10
Will be back on tonight to get some update images and descriptions in the thread.

ShopGTR

Cruisin'
Agreed, this truck is out of this world. The attention to detail is outstanding.

Question: Are you keeping this, is it intended for Icon, or would you consider selling it to them? I have to assume they would love love love to display it in their showroom.

I have met Keith from FJ.co a few times and always wanted to build an FJ60 for them to display. He owns a 60 so I know he'd be cool with that model choice.

It is tough to value any of these builds as most cannot understand the time put into them. This one especially. Then all of the hardware and supplies that go into the build.

Just something that popped into my head, figured I'd ask.

Cory

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
The level of detail is blowing my mind. It’s awesome...
Thank you for this!
Agreed, this truck is out of this world. The attention to detail is outstanding.

Question: Are you keeping this, is it intended for Icon, or would you consider selling it to them? I have to assume they would love love love to display it in their showroom.

I have met Keith from FJ.co a few times and always wanted to build an FJ60 for them to display. He owns a 60 so I know he'd be cool with that model choice.

It is tough to value any of these builds as most cannot understand the time put into them. This one especially. Then all of the hardware and supplies that go into the build.

Just something that popped into my head, figured I'd ask.

Cory
Hi Cory
This is for a long time client, it's been sold since 2011/12, this will be the 20th vehicle he'll have of mine.
Honestly, rarely when they're finished have I kept them much more than a month. For me, it's always been about the build.
We have discussed builds for ICON, Jonathan's been very supportive and likes the work.

As you, and many other SBG builders know, there's so much thought, bench hours and materials into these trucks, it's very hard to get a return on investment. I can't discuss exact costs for this project but I'll say this... Even with a budget at 1:9 scale of the actual vehicle you're trying to emulate, most people can make better money delivering pizza in a V8 Mustang as a side hustle. I'll suggest to anyone, if they were to do this for anything, do it only because you're passionate about the project and the company/person whome you'll be building for... unless of course, you charge what you're worth... there's limited, potential clients in the world are willing to pay this much for a working model.

Thanks for watching the videos and considering these questions, very few ask and I often wonder if folks consider the investments we make as builders.

P.S. Keith makes some killer Toyotas and seeing you turn one out would be fantastic, I'm a big fan of your work!

pera2008

i`m just enjoying this build. this is so good replica of real truck which shows how skills can be used best way possible.

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
A few image updates, all of which, the details have been covered in the latest video.

The 3D print stuff introduced in PT.10 was designed and printed in house, except for:
Bestop TrailMax II Pro, Replica Seats - designed by Dion Rosser @scaledesignsbymrcommad also https://www.mrcommad.com
The Jerry Can - designed by Alexby, available on Thingaverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3368164

pt10_7.jpg
pt10_9.jpg
pt10_10.jpg
pt10_11.jpg
Sequence-01.Still006.jpg
pt10_12.jpg
pt10_13.jpg

Fourth Protocol

V.I.P. Member
...rarely when they're finished have I kept them much more than a month....

That blows my mind and it's interesting reading your perspective. Like you I'm more builder than driver. And yet it'll be a cold icy day in hell before I sell one of my mine. And yet another and yet is that I've given quite a few away.

PS. Like everyone else that's even semi-rational, I love your build man.

joe122

It can be and IS mesmerizing watching your progress, the level of detail is off the charts cool. Your perspective is so spot on, at least for me. The time invested, implementing your thoughts to an actual build then creating it besides being able to quantify it, can never be returned, IF one decides to sell a personal build, and I have sold a few, with tears included in each box!!!

ShopGTR

Cruisin'
Thank you for this!

Hi Cory
This is for a long time client, it's been sold since 2011/12, this will be the 20th vehicle he'll have of mine.
Honestly, rarely when they're finished have I kept them much more than a month. For me, it's always been about the build.
We have discussed builds for ICON, Jonathan's been very supportive and likes the work.

As you, and many other SBG builders know, there's so much thought, bench hours and materials into these trucks, it's very hard to get a return on investment. I can't discuss exact costs for this project but I'll say this... Even with a budget at 1:9 scale of the actual vehicle you're trying to emulate, most people can make better money delivering pizza in a V8 Mustang as a side hustle. I'll suggest to anyone, if they were to do this for anything, do it only because you're passionate about the project and the company/person whome you'll be building for... unless of course, you charge what you're worth... there's limited, potential clients in the world are willing to pay this much for a working model.

Thanks for watching the videos and considering these questions, very few ask and I often wonder if folks consider the investments we make as builders.

P.S. Keith makes some killer Toyotas and seeing you turn one out would be fantastic, I'm a big fan of your work!

Understood. Thank you for that reply. I've never sold any of mine and not sure I want to. I turned my last hobby into a career, full size automotive, which was cool, but 15 years later I don't tinker with my own cars much anymore as the fun has sort of worn off. I'm actually in the midst of selling my business in order to regain some sanity in my life and hopefully get back to loving full size cars and not be so angry with some people sometimes.

And yes, if we were in it to build and sell for profit, we're in the wrong business. The pizza line made m laugh out loud.

I appreciate your kind comments. It's so refreshing to come to this site and see everyone support one another so much. We all love this hobby and it's a joy to spread the love. The full size performance game can be too secretive and mean spirited many times...one of the reasons I needed a change. I used to be a nice guy. Ha

I thoroughly enjoy your videos and pictures, and your excellent explanations of what and why you're doing it. Please keep it up!!

Cory

ShopGTR

Cruisin'
One last comment on this subject:

I do so much enjoy your videos as they truly are to show off the build and explain in video what cannot be understood through pictures alone. I feel many videos that attempt to do the same are more about the creator getting face time and becoming the next "influencer" (I truly despise that term)

You have a soothing tone that is easy to follow and extremely informative.

Not trying to brown nose but just wanted to give you that "shout out."

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
It can be and IS mesmerizing watching your progress, the level of detail is off the charts cool. Your perspective is so spot on, at least for me. The time invested, implementing your thoughts to an actual build then creating it besides being able to quantify it, can never be returned, IF one decides to sell a personal build, and I have sold a few, with tears included in each box!!!
Well said on time invested, so many, never consider that. My better half worked in the legal industry for decades, they charge by the minute, even if on the phone for consult. Years back when we ran our design studio from home, we did the same and I always considered how much time I spent on a project, both on screen and even problem solving designs (even if in traffic)... creative thought has value IMO!
When it comes to this project, I haven't touched 3D programs since early Maya and Bryce so I've had to train too. Just the rear bumper, I have over 50hrs into it so far. Of course I couldn't charge for that as it's part of it is my own education, but...
Later on we have to consider what that education and our bank of knowledge is worth. I watch far to many amazing builders sell their builds for the cost of the parts included and unfortunately it de-values, what I feel is functional artwork.
Thanks for your nice words, tears prevent packing paper fires!

That blows my mind and it's interesting reading your perspective. Like you I'm more builder than driver. And yet it'll be a cold icy day in hell before I sell one of my mine. And yet another and yet is that I've given quite a few away.

PS. Like everyone else that's even semi-rational, I love your build man.
I think it's amazing that you keep yours!!
For some reason, my mind reads the projects as something that needs to be squeezed out. I love that they're created with my own hands (a large portion at least) and there's some pride in that. I think there's two main reasons I sell them...
1. Without having a large slush fund for hobby things, I like to get my money back to fund the next idea and other fun stuff.
2. More importantly, letting the builds go is a release, seeing a project (any project) too long becomes burdon... even if it's enjoyable. Walking by a shelf, spotting an unfinished project on the way to enjoy another, jams up my thoughts badly, I can no longer, truly get into what I was heading towards.

I'm so happy great builders like yourself, still enjoy my work, thank you.

Understood. Thank you for that reply. I've never sold any of mine and not sure I want to. I turned my last hobby into a career, full size automotive, which was cool, but 15 years later I don't tinker with my own cars much anymore as the fun has sort of worn off. I'm actually in the midst of selling my business in order to regain some sanity in my life and hopefully get back to loving full size cars and not be so angry with some people sometimes.

And yes, if we were in it to build and sell for profit, we're in the wrong business. The pizza line made m laugh out loud.

I appreciate your kind comments. It's so refreshing to come to this site and see everyone support one another so much. We all love this hobby and it's a joy to spread the love. The full size performance game can be too secretive and mean spirited many times...one of the reasons I needed a change. I used to be a nice guy. Ha

I thoroughly enjoy your videos and pictures, and your excellent explanations of what and why you're doing it. Please keep it up!!

Cory
Thanks Cory, and doode, so relatable.
Especially, considering the forums we currently type away were originally based off of my hobby and gradually turned into two business, the Scale Builder's Guild and JKRC (Jowett's Kustom RC). While I really did enjoy a great deal, and I'm very proud to have the guys continue to grow what I think is a wonderful environment... I'm so glad both businesses are no longer mine.
The Scale 44 will be my very last comissioned build, moving forward, I may sell the odd vehicle after it's finished but that's it for me. I dream of the day that I just spend a Sunday working on one of these for fun, no schedule, no pressure... I think I can do better in that environment.
I also spent years as a Graphic designer, Artist and Teacher, I left all of that 5 years ago to work in bus maintenance. As soon as I punch out on a Friday, I simply leave work behind. Almost all my creative thought and time is now my own.
I grew up with people telling me "you have a talent, it's a shame tot to use it"... THEY WERE HALF RIGHT... the secret recipe may not be using it to make money, it may just be using it to simply to make something

I hope you eventually get the passion back for the full sized stuff, you build beautiful cars!!

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
One last comment on this subject:

I do so much enjoy your videos as they truly are to show off the build and explain in video what cannot be understood through pictures alone. I feel many videos that attempt to do the same are more about the creator getting face time and becoming the next "influencer" (I truly despise that term)

You have a soothing tone that is easy to follow and extremely informative.

Not trying to brown nose but just wanted to give you that "shout out."

Yeah, in now way do I want to be a YT star!
Years in marketing, I've tricked enough people into purchasing product, and the term "influencer" just makes me want to have a shower! I also had a good taste of this, writing for RCCA and all of the politically loaded stuff that goes with it. I'm just doing this for a fun way to fulfill my commitment to ICON for cross promotion and to challenge myself to learn something new. The one time I spoke to the camera was in video 8 and that was more of a dare than anything, and it was a total mind trip. I have some speach issues and a good dose of social awkwardness, so this has been a great excercise for me... enough that I'm going to continue doing this for other creative stuff outside of RC.

Thank you for this.

ShopGTR

Cruisin'
I also spent years as a Graphic designer, Artist and Teacher, I left all of that 5 years ago to work in bus maintenance. As soon as I punch out on a Friday, I simply leave work behind. Almost all my creative thought and time is now my own.
I grew up with people telling me "you have a talent, it's a shame tot to use it"... THEY WERE HALF RIGHT... the secret recipe may not be using it to make money, it may just be using it to simply to make something

I hope you eventually get the passion back for the full sized stuff, you build beautiful cars!!

You're kind of blowing my mind right now. I see exactly what you mean on the punch out at 5 and leave it all behind. My wife has been giving me grief when I say I would gladly go down to the local Tire/Battery shop and do brakes and oil changes all day. Clock out, go home, enjoy my completely free time. She, and other friends, say I can't just stop doing the creative stuff...but as you say the key may be in not doing it for profit. When I got back into RC cars 10 or so years ago I joked it was so I could work on cars without a customer.

I have to say I'm actually looking forward to the small hiatus I'm about to start on. Getting the real Landcruiser back on the road is a priority, along with all sorts of around the house stuff my wife has been adding to a list.

Thanks. Glad to see I'm not as crazy as I think. Well....

Cory

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
You're kind of blowing my mind right now. I see exactly what you mean on the punch out at 5 and leave it all behind. My wife has been giving me grief when I say I would gladly go down to the local Tire/Battery shop and do brakes and oil changes all day. Clock out, go home, enjoy my completely free time. She, and other friends, say I can't just stop doing the creative stuff...but as you say the key may be in not doing it for profit. When I got back into RC cars 10 or so years ago I joked it was so I could work on cars without a customer.

I have to say I'm actually looking forward to the small hiatus I'm about to start on. Getting the real Landcruiser back on the road is a priority, along with all sorts of around the house stuff my wife has been adding to a list.

Thanks. Glad to see I'm not as crazy as I think. Well....

Cory
You don't have to stop creative and shouldn't (idle hands are the devils...)
A short sabbatical is always good for the brain and allows you to re jig.
Lastly, I may be the wrong guy to use as a ruler to measure one's sanity
;)

Wrencher

sure looking good Kev. you are so much further than when I saw it on my last visit. I have to tell all you guys that seeing this thing in person all I can say is it is even better in real life. Kevin is doing such a good job showing it off but the real thing leaves you speechless. It never stops amazing me how your imagination lets you look at the most mundane things and see what they could be used for. Great building as always Kev.

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Thanks Chris :biggthumpup:
Aw dude, thats nice to say. You know when you look at this stuff long enough you secon guess, I trust your eye, I trust your words so it must be okay. I'm really glad you got to see it before it goes, even if it wasn't as far along as this.
It's gone together easier cause of all the prep work I guess, I just pick away at it in small intervals.