Lancia Rally 037 MkII

Lem

Great stuff. :biggthumpup:
This 3d printing really is a game changer.
May i ask you a question, how much did the printing service cost you?

rally037

Supporting Member
Cheers Lem, much appreciated.

The printing service - it was a staggering number and I only got away with it as my fiftieth is not that far off into the future so the project was justified on the basis of it being a birthday present for me.

Regards,
Nik

Lem

Thank you very much.
I think i check some aircraft scratchbuilders out, who print complete aircrafts and look how they du the surfaces extreme thin and still keep it stable.
So many choices and paths i could follow and nothing of it i can check out currently because of f**** corona lockdown.

rally037

Supporting Member
That is correct Lem, the trick is to keep the surfaces thin and use stiffening webs on the inside, I will post few pictures soon.

rally037

Supporting Member
Time for another retrospective update.

A friend of mine's brother is in the sign making business and I asked if he can print the vinyl Martini stripes stickers for me, which he did. In hindsight, the light blue colour is a bit too dark relative to the actual Martini stripes, but again, time was at a premium and there was no option to reprint, next time... and to be fair, I don't mind, I like the darker shade of "light" blue:

20201202_180647_small.jpg

Next was masking, priming and painting:

IMG_1798_small.jpg

IMG_1800_small.jpg

IMG_1803_small.jpg

Chassis:

IMG_1814_small.jpg

IMG_1815_small.jpg

Rear mud guards cut from 1mm silicone rubber sheet:

IMG_2134_small.jpg

IMG_2138_small.jpg

Lights and mud guards installed:

IMG_2081_small.jpg

IMG_2084_small.jpg

IMG_2082_small.jpg

Body painted with Honda?s white pearlescent colour from Halfords, but no clear lacquer yet as the one from Halfords is less than clear, though I am generally happy with the choice of automotive paints from Halfords.
Windows, as previously mentioned, are just represented by different colour as I ran out of time for my original plan to design and print them in clear plastic including some of the cockpit and drivers? helmets, and as a result painted with another one from Halfords, Mercedes blue-silver. Stripes also installed:

IMG_2089_small.jpg

IMG_2090_small.jpg

IMG_2093_small.jpg

IMG_2094_small.jpg

IMG_2097_small.jpg

IMG_2098_small.jpg

IMG_2101_small.jpg

IMG_2106_small.jpg

Thanks for checking,
Nik

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Golly!

That's pretty amazing. Your design work really shows through now that there's some paint and decal work done. Amazing!

Lem

Wow that is amazing.
If you wouldnt have mentioned the not 100% fitting color, i woudnt even have noticed and i am still not sure if i notice.
We look onto a screen with most people not even having calibrated it.
And even if we look at photographs directly i can garantee you you wont see 100% correct color values anyway, because all depends on so many variables. amount of light, angle of light, fading of the color to uv rays, the film used etc.
::2thumbs

rally037

Supporting Member
Lem, Shannwah - thank you guys, much appreciated.

Lem - you are quite right, it is not easy to compare colours, especially when it is done on a computer screen. In my case I was able to do this in practice regarding the Martini stripes, but I am a fan as to how the colours turned.

rally037

Supporting Member
And one more update, the front tyres from ProLine (2.2?/3.2? original rim size) were available as bare tyres, i.e. not pre-mounted on wheels, but the rears, also from ProLine (2.8? original rim size), I could only get pre-mounted on wheels and as such I had to disbond them before use with my chosen method being the boiling one:

IMG_2113_small.jpg

IMG_2145_small.jpg

Then I mounted the tyres on the 037 rims:

IMG_1807_small.jpg

IMG_1809_small.jpg

Thanks,
Nik

rally037

Supporting Member
Lem, theHoegie, Frizzen - cheers guys, your positive comments are genuinely appreciated.

Lem - the wheel rim turbine caps are just a scale feature in the model. They still create an air flow through the wheel in the expected manner as there is a clear air path through the wheel, but no components to cool in there.

Cheers,
Nik

Frederik

Supporting Member
The painted body looks awesome Nik, but my question is, did you intentionally not take a pic of the front and rear halves together to tease us even more? :D

It is a nice find to use these big wide truck tires in a completely different scale and yet fit the body. Are your previous rendering of the tires scale to these? Can't wait for a tires and wheels + body mock up! And who knows, maybe even the front half at the same time! :lol:

rally037

Supporting Member
Lem - I would love to add disc brakes on each wheel as it will provide braking to both axles, considering my rear wheel drive only scenario and transmission brake that only acts on the rear axle as such, but not on this project, it will have to wait for another one. If braking the rear axle only proves inadequate here, I will have to add back on the drive to the front wheels, which may be necessary anyway considering the powerful engine(s) I have chosen.

Frederik - I am constantly catching myself not taking enough photos, I just keep plodding along and then suddenly realise I have missed a moment or two to capture on camera.

On the tyres front, this is actually what determined my scale - I have learned from past experience that tyres can be the most challenging and frustrating things to source, so I started this project by first choosing and sourcing the tyres, luckily the 1/10 trucks use very large ones that are also the right proportions for what I am after.

Regards,
Nik

rally037

Supporting Member
I thought I should post this image of a chocolate carton (I like chocolate), that I used for my initial suspension sketches and also where I recorded all my measurements of the original Hobao buggy chassis before I transferred them into CAD (I also used another carton for my job list on this project):

20201202_181005_small.jpg