Lancia Rally 037 MkII

rally037

Supporting Member
cooper - thank you sir, much appreciated.

Fred - you are spot on, tyres not glued in and one of the fronts started to come off in the pictures, which it later came off completely. Reason, as you suggested, is that I can later put fresh tyres if required. The problem only came after I engaged front wheel drive (and after some doughnuting) and is only present on the front tyres as the stretch on the rears, i.e. the delta between the tyres' inside diameter and the wheel mounting diameter, is significantly more. By the looks of it though, I will need to glue in the front tyres.
And to answer your other question, car is still sliding (motor is rated at 3hp), but it is much more manageable than before and as I mentioned, I can now feel a lot more confident on the brakes.

One other change I made was to take the exhaust out of the diffuser, which I went for in order to use the exhaust gas energy to aid air velocity in the diffuser, but what I did not appreciate was the amount of oil it would deposit on the left rear tyre, which reduced even further what rear grip I had in RWD mode. Below is a video showing where the exhaust plume went:

The new direction can be seen on one of the images that I posted previoulsy, up and over:

20201227_150803_small.jpg

I am planning to design and print an exhaust pipe/guide to take the plume from the stock pipe to the back of the car and not cover the inside of the body with oil, nor add up to the heating the cylinder head already sees.

Cheers,
Nik

Lem

you need a scale engine...these 1 cylinder engines sound sooo annoying :coolred:
Everything else is fantastic.
Why didnt you go for electric and sound module?

rally037

Supporting Member
Lem, scale engine, now we are talking ::2thumbs

The reason I chose a nitro engine is that (as I mentioned in my thirst post of this thread) it ticked an old childhood dream box of mine as well as relishing the challenge. I actually like the noise these little gems produce - the noise in the vids I have posted so far, is still of the engine before full run in, which is now complete, and although I still run the mixture too rich, at full throttle now the sound is very sweet, I just need to fix the low RPM as soon as I find the time.

Cheers,
Nik

rally037

Supporting Member
Hi guys, not easy to find time for the hobby, but recently I managed to fit in a solo charity run for a local school using the car - lucky to live close by to a former go kart track parts of which we used for the run.

Short on board video of the warm up below, though it wasn't much of a run in the end with most of the time spent in the pits repairing the clutch (my error in the way I set it up beforehand) and then in a true Le Man fashion claiming to have run for the majority of the event :laugh:

Also, I didn't update the firmware of the camera before using it (now done) and there were few faults with the video, one of which was the lack of sound, hence the music background:

On a related subject, I recently found out that an Italian company is working on their own version of a successor to the Lancia Rally 037 that they are nearly ready to present in its full scale road going glory, which left me heartbroken, but then again, I shouldn't have taken my time and should have been quicker in fulfilling that particular dream. On the positive side, I much prefer my own version of the styling :laugh:

https://www.google.com/search?q=kimera+evo37&rlz=1C1RUCY_enGB936GB936&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj887yYpMLwAhWjAWMBHcbuDiUQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1680&bih=850

rally037

Supporting Member
joe122, thanks, I am very pleased with the handling, while reliability can be much better - as the model is heavier than a 1/8th scale one and the engine is on the larger side, the strain placed on the clutch is quite high and I have to replace the clutch bearings way too often.

UpsidedownRC, much appreciated, I hope I get more opportunities to run it this year.

JMo

V.I.P. Member
On a related subject, I recently found out that an Italian company is working on their own version of a successor to the Lancia Rally 037 that they are nearly ready to present in its full scale road going glory, which left me heartbroken, but then again, I shouldn't have taken my time and should have been quicker in fulfilling that particular dream. On the positive side, I much prefer my own version of the styling :laugh:

https://www.google.com/search?q=kim...WjAWMBHcbuDiUQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1680&bih=850

What a wonderful thread - and a stunning build!

Funny you mention that link - as I was reading through your design evolution it reminded me of the [1:1] company who developed a MK II Stratos - taking styling cues from the original but updating them with more contemporary detailing - you did an excellent job with this 037 too, you can see it's obvious lineage, but your more contemporary detailing brings it into the 21st century...

Love it!

Jenny

rally037

Supporting Member
Cheers Jenny, much appreciated, great bit of encouragement there!

I also agree with you on the MkII Stratos project - it is an excellent modern expression of the classic Stratos styling, the people involved have done a great job.