LEDs for the 1980s look.

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Go for soft, or warm white bulbs, or, if you really like to torture yourself, find some 6V grain of rice incandescent bulbs. I've used them before and look the part, because they are the part!

jossUK

Supporting Member
Go for soft, or warm white bulbs, or, if you really like to torture yourself, find some 6V grain of rice incandescent bulbs. I've used them before and look the part, because they are the part!

THANK YOU. Gotta love old school tech :biggthumpup: Just ordered 4 bulbs, another downside with LEDs is they are too focused, Ive tried sanding them to help defuse but still get the that hot spot.

JMo

V.I.P. Member
Hi Joss - if you are in the UK (by your user name I'm guessing so), then there is an ebay seller called Model Lighting Solutions who can make up looms with any combination of LEDs - sizes/colours etc. including a softer 'vintage' glow version... they made me one for my Tam-Mater build a while ago - the headlight (and rear work light) were the vintage glow (sort of yellowy white) and the tail lamps were regular red.

edit. updated photos that actually show the LED colour a bit better:

jossUK

Supporting Member
Hi Joss - if you are in the UK (by your user name I'm guessing so), then there is an ebay seller called Model Lighting Solutions who can make up looms with any combination of LEDs - sizes/colours etc. including a softer 'vintage' glow version... they made me one for my Tam-Mater build a while ago - the headlight (and rear work light) were the vintage glow (sort of yellowy white) and the tail lamps were regular red.

Thanks, I'll take a look :biggthumpup:

ShopGTR

Cruisin'
I run the rice bulbs in my 55, and the warm leds in my 62. The bulbs definitely have more character, the only downside is they eat a little more power. Fine if run off the battery, but I use a separate 9 volt so I can run the lights on the shelf without connecting the battery. But to complete "the look" they are worth the trouble.

jossUK

Supporting Member
I run the rice bulbs in my 55, and the warm leds in my 62. The bulbs definitely have more character, the only downside is they eat a little more power. Fine if run off the battery, but I use a separate 9 volt so I can run the lights on the shelf without connecting the battery. But to complete "the look" they are worth the trouble.

Thanks,Ive give the rice bulbs a quick test and they are perfect for the HJ60, printing up a bulb holder now.
I am going to get some defused LEDs for the XJ and JK though, I don't mind the white light in those but the hot spot LEDs have to go :biggthumpup: