Micro MORR Corvair

Chematric

I'm a fan of the show. I was thinking what a nice project it would be to do an RC replica of that awesome Corvair and I just saw your post.
Just in case, about the difficulty of opening the windows holes, it should be pretty easy with a blade like this: OLFA KB4-P
https://www.olfa.co.jp/en/blades/bladecategory/147
I had one of those around and decided to give it a try, to cut the bumper of a LC80 body, it was extremely easy, no strength required, just barely pushing the thing goes through 2mm of styrene in maybe 20 passes.
Ones the carve is done after 3 passes you can relax and let the blade follow the cut, and do it while watching tv or something. Really easy. I'm not using a dremel for that again! I mean the cut is so clean almost no sanding was required, and the bumper itself is absolutely pristine, I can reuse it.
I'm also inpatient but when the method is so easy it's OK I guess.

Anyways if any of you happen to have one of those around and haven't used it, give it a try it does really clean easy job.

Enviado desde mi MI 9 mediante Tapatalk

ebeowulf17

Supporting Member
Dang, that looks great! I love the way this looks. The way that body sits over the chassis sells it!
Thanks!

I had to go basically full droop to get it that low, but I'm happy with the results. Still wish I could've gotten a little more tuck - the stance is definitely wider than it should be for scale appearance... although if I set accuracy aside, I dig the wide look, and it makes it climb and sidehill better, so I guess it's a fair tradeoff.

ebeowulf17

Supporting Member
I'm a fan of the show. I was thinking what a nice project it would be to do an RC replica of that awesome Corvair and I just saw your post.
Just in case, about the difficulty of opening the windows holes, it should be pretty easy with a blade like this: OLFA KB4-P
https://www.olfa.co.jp/en/blades/bladecategory/147
Thanks for the suggestion - that sounds like a really great tool!

Having said that, for this particular build I'm content to take the lazy way out and keep opaque windows. I decided up front to keep things simple on this build, especially because it's my first hardbody. If I cut the windows out, I'd feel compelled to make a good interior, and I'm not quite ready for that yet. Maybe on my next build!

Chematric

...I'm content to take the lazy way out and keep opaque windows. I decided up front to keep things simple on this build, especially because it's my first hardbody. If I cut the windows out, I'd feel compelled to make a good interior, and I'm not quite ready for that yet. Maybe on my next build!

You can be proud, it's a cool 3D body and very unique.

Enviado desde mi MI 9 mediante Tapatalk

ebeowulf17

Supporting Member
Wow, that looks really awesome out on the rocks!!!

Now you just need a Matts Recovery Rope and some XJs, maybe some dogs running along side

Thanks!

Yeah, I'd love to have a few accessories to pair up with this rig. I've actually been trying to find a recovery rope that looks scale at 1:24-ish, but nothing so far.

As for little XJs (or tiny running dogs,) if you've got anything you wanna send my way, I'm game! ;)

I've thought about how to do a tiny recovery video with this rig, but no solid plans yet. Besides being short a few props, I also need to learn video editing again, so it might be a while!

ebeowulf17

Supporting Member
First drive!!!

I had so much fun driving and shooting video on it's first time out, I forgot to take many outdoor pics. I did make a little video compilation of its first outing:

ebeowulf17

Supporting Member
Here's a little more video I shot.

These rock piles were originally laid out as obstacles for my 1/10 crawler, so it's been really interesting trying to find lines I can manage with a 1/24 rig. Much more challenging terrain than the previous video. If you watch towards the end, you'll see that my driving skills weren't always up to the challenge!

I think I'm going to be upgrading my servo for more steering power since it sometimes can't turn these sticky tires in high-grip, high-load situations. I also would like to upgrade the motor to something with a little more torque so that I can climb the steeper, rougher obstacles in a more controlled manner. Right now I find myself gradually applying more and more throttle with no movement, and then suddenly the rig leaps over the obstacle and lunges forward like a wind-up toy... I'd really like it to crawl more smoothly, like my larger rig. I think (hope?) a stronger motor and/or gearing change should help with that.

I think I'll be trying the same eMax servo that everyone else seems to use, but not sure on motors. If anyone has advice on motor upgrades (or gearing changes) for the SCX24, I could use some guidance.