Nigelpheron's Micro Landscapes

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
Still don't have my truck done.

Well, I blew a steering servo; so untill the new one shows up, I'll be working on this new furniture edition to my pad. Influenced by Table Top Crawling, and model railroad dioramas, I started working on this:

Blue foam, scratched-shaped with a stiff wire brush, then a sand / epoxy mix with burnt sienna, yellow ocher & raw umber tints mixed in.

1.jpg

2.jpg

The shine and colour was knocked down by sprinkling dry sand all over the wet epoxy.
This also gives good grip to the surface.

3.jpg

About an inch of light weight sand (woodland scenics fine buff ballast), will go into the river bed. It should be a subtle challenge to drive in.

Will update when more detailing is done.

L

lance banner

that is sweet for a little crawler truck. good work, clean to :biggthumpup:

T

TragicallyTim

Still don't have my truck done.

Well, I blew a steering servo; so untill the new one shows up, I'll be working on this:

http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/n627/penelopelixx/MOAB/?action=view&current=1.jpg

More blue foam, scratched-shaped with a stiff wire brush, then a sand / epoxy mix with burnt sienna, yellow ocher & raw umber tints mixed in.

The shine and colour was knocked down by sprinkling dry sand all over the wet epoxy.
This also gives good grip to the surface.

Some dry season coloured grass was then stuck into the epoxy, in my field section.

About an inch of light weight sand (woodland scenics fine buff ballast), will go into the river bed. It should be a subtle challenge to drive in.

Will update when more detailing is done.

Dude!!

Those are some sweet pics. Love the terrain.

What's the dimensions of it?

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
Cacti

Got some saguaros done.

Carved'em from foam, then painted them with a blackened epoxy resin mix. Then sand from my local creek bed was drizzled all over the wet epoxy. The plan was to paint them when dry, but the colour they came out is just fine.

Added some budding flower tops to them, and now just to make some barrel cacti:

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
Skill?....Nah man. Time! And a lot of train modelling books from the library.
But thanx though.

Couldn't find any model cactus online, so I winged it. It took a bit to carve the grooves in the cactuses, and the end result with the finish was pure luck.

17.jpg

18.jpg

20.jpg

@

@tw!ll

Amazing work! I'd love to have that sitting in my living room. When people ask, i could say it's my zen garden and start raking the sand. Then when they leave pull out the micro and get hard core off road.
Truly amazing work:bowdown:

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
Thanx,

Here is it all done. I don't have water in it any more, I went with the buff-coloured fine ballast. It's cool to leave tire marks in it.

21.jpg

19.jpg

20-1.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
Boreal-ish

I've started on the bottom scene.

I used 1" foam for the perimeter shape, then chicken-wired it, epoxy-glassed it, and I just added some built up areas to hold the ponds / water-falls.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Last edited:

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
I just did the start of the surface groundwork. Made a batch of thickened epoxy, painted the whole surface to fill in all of what I want to hide, then poured dry sand ove the whole sticky mess. The sand in the epoxy gives wicked traction, so for realism and a bit of a challenge, I will have to slippery-up some areas of the scene.

13.jpg

14.jpg

Last edited:

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
Groundwork done

Vacked the loose sand off just now. It will be in this state for a while, as I plan to detail it over the winter.

15.jpg

Last edited:

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
Thanx Headquake.

I might actually continue on it sooner than winter, if one of my clients pays me with Paypal. One topped up, I'll make a bulk order from Woodland Scenics, and start mucking about.

Planning on how to do some big conifers right now...

Have a little bit of supplies, so I just used them up. The pic doesn't do the dirt colour good. It looks like well-worn dirt trails.

16.jpg

Last edited:

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
They paid in cash:biggthumpup:

Went and got some supplies that night. I got so many bags of grass, ya'd think I was hosting a Rasta convension, buh-dump-bump---tiss.

17.jpg

I was up late with a bit of insomnia. So, I cast some rocks.

18.jpg

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
Tried my hand at painting the rock just now. I'm using a Woodland scenics colour kit, and it works awesomely.

19.jpg

Got the first tree done.

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

To make the trees, you'll need:
-Scizzors
-Art wire
-Twine
-5-epoxy glue
-Black / brown spray paint
-Spray glue
-Train greenery stuff
-Clear satin spray paint

SUPPLIES.JPG

1. Cut some art wire; double + a few inches longer, than the height of your tree. Bend it in half to 90-deg, then bend one of halves again, and then bend the ends so the wire doesn't touch the surface:

WIRE BENT 1.JPG

2. Cut the twine into lengths, the width of the tree. Unravel the twine, and put it beside the wire, ready for the gluing step.

WIRE BENT 2.JPG

3. Acting quickly, mix and apply some 5-min epoxy glue, and apply it to the top side of the wire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKLDX0jsLVA

4. Acting quickly, place the readied twine onto the wire with epoxy glue on it. Let the epoxy dry, holding the twine in place. Put some weights to hold the fibers down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN_yVeUMj4s

5. Unfold the other wire side, to make that side straight again, and then fold the wire at the original halfway point.

6. Clamp the two wire legs in a vice, and put an Allen-key through the loop end. Wind the allen-key, twisting the wire, and fanning out the twine into spirally tree branches.

7. Cut the twine with scizzors, so that the tree branches give a cone shape to the tree, and spray it black, or brown primer like the tutorial model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5juvH_ehfk&feature=youtu.be

8. Get your greenery ready in a shaker. I use a spice container, with the holes enlargened to a flow that I like. Spray the tree with spray glue, then shake the darkest greenery all over the tree. Dowse it good. I do it over the floor, so the mess is already down there, and then vacuum up after. Be sure to gather as much of the medium up, as it's reusable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eimXxp8aJC4&feature=youtu.be

9. Right the tree, and spray it with glue again. Now shake the lighter greenery over the tree from the top. This way, depth will be added by having the dark shadowy colours underneath the branches, accented with the light coloured greenery, adding highlights to the tops of the branches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxDH9WleEPM&feature=youtu.be

10. Satin clearcoat the whole tree and put it somewhere to dry, then stick it in your diorama somewhere. Or load it up and take it home for the holidays...

IN TIME FOR THE HOLIDAYS.JPG

Last edited:

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
Rocks

I attached all my casted rocks. They were all made with Woodland Scenics molds and plaster. The rocks get epoxied on for strength (earth-quake-proof). The blend starts with jamming toilet paper in the top spaces, then soaked with a thinned palster solution. This give the basic shape for the blend. This will then get an epoxy mixture, to add anti-crack strength to the plaste blends, and provide a consistent sticky base to continue the green work. With the epoxy wet, sand gets sprinkled on again.

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

Last edited:

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
Trees finally done

47-trees done over a week.

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

The bridge.

30.jpg

31.jpg

This is the final part of blending in the rocks. Resin, big rocks, med rocks, small rocks, sand sprinkled all over them. When all dry, the extra sand gets vacuumed up.

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg