Parts-n-Pieces Street / Rat Rod!

joe122

Here's something I've been playing around with. I have had the '37 Terraplane for a few years, scratch built it maybe 4 years ago. I have have been asked to put something together with some odds and ends for a collaboration build with a friend of mine. So while holding a tissue in one hand, the cut off wheel in the other, I carefully removed the fenders.....ouch!! Then with an old set of TF2 frame rails, some odds and ends I have a bit of a roller. Rear axle is an Austar / SCX10II knock off with some Traxxas funny car front coil overs, front axle is a Tamiya King Hauler knock off with some spare Tamiya leaf's, main leaf is some heated and bent gas mower pull start spring material. Still need to add / fab the front radius rods, some shocks add an engine of some type, built or 3D and some electronics. Then off to the painter. IMG_6461.jpgIMG_8612.jpgIMG_8610.jpgIMG_8609.jpgIMG_8616.jpgIMG_8617.jpgIMG_8613.jpgIMG_8614.jpg

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
Yes indeed. It's going to be cool!. I don't know know if I mentioned it when you did first did this build, but my brother bought a 37 Hudson Terraplane 4 door sedan for us to restore (more me than him though). It was a former Army Staff car that was sold as surplus and was used as a tractor of sorts on a farm in New Hampshire. It had a flathead 6 and I actually managed to get it started, but I went off to college and we ended up selling it to a guy who was rebuilding a coupe for his dad and wanted the front half of the body. I've always loved those things. The front grill is really unique among cars of that period.

joe122

Oh I really like this one ::2thumbs:luv:
Thanks!!!

Great project from spare parts.

I am digging the front leaf spring setup.
Thank you, I have since added the radius rods so it's officially a roller!

subbed :biggthumpup: this is going to be awesome
I hope so!!

Yes indeed. It's going to be cool!. I don't know know if I mentioned it when you did first did this build, but my brother bought a 37 Hudson Terraplane 4 door sedan for us to restore (more me than him though). It was a former Army Staff car that was sold as surplus and was used as a tractor of sorts on a farm in New Hampshire. It had a flathead 6 and I actually managed to get it started, but I went off to college and we ended up selling it to a guy who was rebuilding a coupe for his dad and wanted the front half of the body. I've always loved those things. The front grill is really unique among cars of that period.
Love this story. This build came to fruition by me seeing a olive drab Terraplane for sale on Bring a Trailer a few years ago. That grill grabbed me but I had no idea how I'd replicate it. I took my stab at it and that's what I came up with.....they are so iconic, so art deco, love that grill!!! Thanks!

Great work ::2thumbs
Thank you!!

Crawlways broke

Here's something I've been playing around with. I have had the '37 Terraplane for a few years, scratch built it maybe 4 years ago. I have have been asked to put something together with some odds and ends for a collaboration build with a friend of mine. So while holding a tissue in one hand, the cut off wheel in the other, I carefully removed the fenders.....ouch!! Then with an old set of TF2 frame rails, some odds and ends I have a bit of a roller. Rear axle is an Austar / SCX10II knock off with some Traxxas funny car front coil overs, front axle is a Tamiya King Hauler knock off with some spare Tamiya leaf's, main leaf is some heated and bent gas mower pull start spring material. Still need to add / fab the front radius rods, some shocks add an engine of some type, built or 3D and some electronics. Then off to the painter. View attachment 36995View attachment 36996View attachment 36998View attachment 36994View attachment 36992View attachment 36991View attachment 36997View attachment 36993
That's killer!!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

joe122

So a few parts box pieces, some styrene, made the blower, used a couple of Tamiya Tundra lens covers for the air cleaners, and it fits! The bumperette is just a design test, it's a narrowed 1/12 scale '57 piece. IMG_8685.jpgIMG_8689.jpgIMG_8690.jpgIMG_8696.jpgIMG_8698.jpg

joe122

Thanks all!! Appreciate it!

So added a set of headers, just heated and bent some 3/16" solid styrene rod, found a set of Losi 1/12 scale front shocks for the front. Now waiting for a few odds and ends parts.IMG_8708.jpgIMG_8705.jpgIMG_8710.jpgIMG_8709.jpgIMG_8706.jpgIMG_8714.jpgIMG_8712.jpg

2Beers

It's me again.
Late to the party as usual...:laughing:
But ya.
It was a beautiful build as I remember ......
But I really like the changes you've done to it.
Loves me a good Rod build I doooo.:luv:

More please.

joe122

Late to the party as usual...:laughing:
But ya.
It was a beautiful build as I remember ......
But I really like the changes you've done to it.
Loves me a good Rod build I doooo.:luv:

More please.

Morning! Thanks 2Beers....yes, I was a bit conflicted when I wacked off those fenders....but I do like the fresh ratty look! New updated paint will bring it all together.