Plastic Pit Matt Material

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Hi guys, question I know one of you guys will know the answer to and I'm hoping you can help.
I'm looking for plastic sheet with a foam back (or not) similar to that used for promotional pit matts.

Something like this material.
9908-00.jpg

I want to create my own without manufacturer branding, possibly also use white for flexible photo booth base.

Ax-hole

Supporting Member
I think I have seen thin flexible cutting boards at the $1 store, might be worth a look.

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Yeah, seen those and they're good for cutting... like the grid mats for that though.
I'm looking for large sheets (at least 2' wide) and willing to buy by the foot.

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Closest thing I can find so far is Drafting Table Surface/Cover, a little pricey but self healing and available in multiple colors.

Last edited:

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Okay, when in doubt ask around right?
I just called a local drafting supplier, VYCO is the name of the surface on top of drafting tables.
Available up to 48" wide in multiple colors.

While on the phone he mentioned cutting mat material with grids by the foot.
Perhaps this is the end of $75 cutting mats and pit mats plastered in other people's branding?

Heading over on my lunch break tomorrow to see what the options are like and will be sure to post the results.
The local shop has these colors:

bmm123362.jpg

Any other suggestions or additions always welcome. :biggthumpup:

Last edited:

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Not flexible but have you considered arborite?
My hobby table's a light table so its got a glass surface and stainless outer frame. I like soft vinyl and rubber back mats so they don't slip around and to prevent nuts, bolts, dirt and tools scratching the glass. Also cuts down the sound late at night if I drop something. Being able to cut plastic and work on top and keep a level surface is important too. When I need the light table for my graphics I can just roll it up and set it aside.

Last edited:

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Okay so...

36" VYCO (vinyl drafting table surface)

- runs between $15 - $20 per linear foot
- available in 2 color combinations, MAT GREEN/LOW SHINE CREAM & MAT GREY/LOW SHINE WHITE (intended to be green or grey side up for typical drafting use)
- washable even with detergents
- so far makes a mean photo backdrop for my booth too!

While I was in the local drafting supply...
Self Healing Cutting Mats are way better quality and at least 25% cheaper than Michaels stores and Hobby shops!!! Not only that a far better selection of sizes and colors in both metric and imperial increments.

Pictured here, the blue and green are two sided (black on the back side)... Regular price between $40 - $65.
I scored on the reversible/transparent grid for my light table as it was on sale for $65 (Regular $150) <<< why I've put off the purchase for so long!

grid2.jpg

I also snapped a price and reference for an average size mat

grid3.jpg

Last edited:

HeyOK

HeyOK Performance
Lots of good info there, Kev!

Do you happen to know how these mats stand up to a solder drip?

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Lots of good info there, Kev!

Do you happen to know how these mats stand up to a solder drip?
In my experience the solder simply cools, balls up and flakes off of the cutting mat Al.
Not sure on the VYCO material though... I'll try it on a scrap piece if ya want.

Last edited:

alan

Nice products! Are you willing to share the name of the local drafting supply shop, Kev?

curly

kevin this is what i was talking about
there is a place in bby that makes mouse pads out of this stuff
i have two promo ones

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
What's the material called Darwin... that's what we need to know so we can buy it before it becomes pads for mice

Honger

Supporting Member
For my table top I really wanted some of the drafting mat as well... the VYCO. I'm an engineer so I've seen the stuff all over the place. It's just vinyl really. So I took some of the vinyl flooring you can buy in the roll and cut it to fit my tabletop. Works EXACTLY the same as the drafting mats. And MUCH cheaper than buying it from a drafting supply store.

I actually got mine as scraps from a construction job I was managing. =)