Project Unimog 6x6 - Cooper

cooper

Active member
A bit of progress:

Modified the portal covers, making them stronger without messing much with the look. Printed 4 but did 2 more and upgraded also the front axle.

LyLAyQYh.jpg






Middle axle:
XfFlIhhh.jpg







Third axle
3NE7AcBh.jpg






Because the offset diff of the third axle, had to do new unequal shafts

3joXH3Lh.jpg



sr5SYf8h.jpg






Middle axle with the driveshaft bearing carrier

8FmgBHnh.jpg





jczrMGGh.jpg





Assembled...have to organize all the wiring again...

oQSIYych.jpg
 

cooper

Active member
Do you believe that I still couldn't drive this new setup besides trying it indoors?
Sometimes I think why I have RCs...they're more static models...


Did this to move the battery to a more practical location


9Xglch6h.jpg


TqDIfWRh.jpg




I'm planning add some sort of connector on the bottom in order to take out the whole box to replace the battery instead of doing "finger olimpics" inside the cargo area
 

chimeraa

Supporting Member
Hi Cooper,

i like your approach on the unimog drive train. How did you turn the spherical parts on the torque tubes?

Your setup for the rear axle without torque tube does resemble indeed the way original conversion are done. At least the ones i've seen pictures or videos of


regards

Flo
 

cooper

Active member
Hi Cooper,

i like your approach on the unimog drive train. How did you turn the spherical parts on the torque tubes?

Your setup for the rear axle without torque tube does resemble indeed the way original conversion are done. At least the ones i've seen pictures or videos of



I made those tubes on the manual lathe. After the straight part ,marked where the center of the sphere had to be and was done roughly by eye and then this:

103-137_z1_jpg.png



Works pretty well. Making spheres is part of our skillset at the job :)


I think I've got the system pretty similar. It's not easy to find pics of the transmission because there's not that many 6x6s.



unimog__2450___6x6_chassis_1999_5_lgw.jpg



I'm seeing an offset middle axle where I've offset the 3rd axle because of the centered torquetubes. Maybe this particular Unimog has regular driveshafts,I don't know. What I do know it's that now looks better than the old pass-through and runs a lot smoother
 

SeanOB

Supporting Member
Wow, I don't think I can spot a single bit of this truck that isn't custom built?! Love the details.

Great work on that video too, you should do more!
 

cooper

Active member
Wow, I don't think I can spot a single bit of this truck that isn't custom built?! Love the details.

Great work on that video too, you should do more!

Well,you're right...spent so much time with this truck that the only visible bought parts are rims and tires :) . And is not finished. Will improve the front axle and I can consider it done

Thanks for the compliment on the video. Is one of those things I'm not comfortable with..
 

cooper

Active member
Alright,is that time of year again,time for change...

One thing I think I need to improve in this truck is the front axle width. Wheels stick out from the fenders and there's too much scrub radius from the added width of the portal boxes,making the tires rub


So I've gather some parts and make new portal boxes:

0I67WBSh.png


Yes, they look similar,albeit being made from scratch instead of copying the old ones.

I'm using a 12t portal gear and universal shafts from Capra. The big gear is the same 25t 32dp pinion but inverted(The section where the grub screw is fits perfectly on a 10x15x4 bearing!

At the moment, each portal box measures 5,5mm less than the old ones which is great. I can narrow the axle housing if needed,even if it don't solve the scrub radius problem
 

cooper

Active member
Everything seems to be going well

Printed the 2 knuckles and 2 covers. Mounted, match the estimate of 11mm narrower axle. Doesn't seem much but is very noticeable with the cab.

At the moment, I'm printing a updated axle housing half. Only had to change a driveshaft bearing position by 1mm to fit the new Capra uni shafts

WdjcRujh.jpg


Ppjh7Cqh.jpg
 

cooper

Active member
That looks just about perfect. Nice work!

Thanks a lot!!


I'm not that happy with the printed files. They are strong but don't look that good. For now,they'll suffice but I'll try to improve. Switched ASA to PLA+ and helicoils to thread directly on plastic. Helicoils are cool but sometimes they would unscrew itself.


As it stands:
SEGke8dh.jpg


It has the diff,bearings and torquetube. Uni shafts turn smoothly so the dimensions seem right. Just need to shorten them 15mm each to be mounted in place
 
Last edited:

cooper

Active member
Done!

ChzB91Xh.jpg



I wasn't anxious to cut brand new transmissions and knowing that they needed to be absolutely straight after welding. They were cut, press fit onto a tube and then brazed. They turn smoothly so I'm relieved
 

cooper

Active member
Assembled them, taking care of some rubbing.

HAE2D2Yh.jpg



On the truck , visually,there's virtually no diference altough being a brand new axle. Also, got rid of the helicoil threads. Was a bit of work, putting all of them and not always were strong as I thought . The panhard screw was always loose

84MBRFqh.jpg
 
Top