RC/PC

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Just went through the build again, because it's great motivation to customise my PC. Used to spend weeks on a build ::2thumbs

Anyways the thing that just came to mind was ventilation - do you have enough space in the floor to push air out? Could make for a great effect when you power up and the dust blows out from beneath the truck ;)
Other than that your paint puts the rest of us mortals to shame :luv:
The idea was always to run the PC whilst on the trailer assembly, so in that format, tons of ventilation. If it gets really bad, open the back gate! And thanks for the kind words on the paint. I prided myself on making this as true to the real world as I could with my humble skills.

Thanks Wes, it's definitely different. I don't recall ever seeing a PC built into an RC like this before.

Sneak preview time!

I wanted to give the trailer container the same treatment I've given the cab. So I got to painting.

Ah, the joys of Canadian winters and homes without garages. Not ideal, but should wok to my advantage for the look I'm going for. I used some hardware store spray paint as a base layer that has a primer built in. Then I shot it with some Tamiya PS Cobalt.

Cut out some stencils on my Cricut for the two main contributors to this build, EVGA and Tamiya. By the way, if you're into computers, and want to save a few bucks, use code: SBG at checkout on http://www.evga.com

I like this Cricut machine, it's come in quite handy. Note to self, use the less strong adhesive vinyl next time to avoid all the peeling of paint when you remove the stencils. That said, I was happy with the distressed look that it helped create.

To make it look abandoned and crappy, I started airbrushing some tags/graffiti. This is stressful work. Freehanding this stuff so small with a dual action brush is NOT easy for me. I'm still pretty pleased with the results.

I took pictures from around my neighborhood to find some nice accurate artwork.

The end result. On to the weathering!
Amazing

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Final outdoorsy pics:
MGK06878_Fix.jpg
MGK06884.jpg

Reactions: TLC

dagabba

Supporting Member
Wow, such a great looking truck Matt!

So nice to see one of these rigs looking weathered and realistic rather than super shiny as usual...

And it's got a PC in it. Crazy. Looking forward to the vid!

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Looks good dude. Man I want one of these things real bad!
Wow, such a great looking truck Matt!

So nice to see one of these rigs looking weathered and realistic rather than super shiny as usual...

And it's got a PC in it. Crazy. Looking forward to the vid!
Thanks gents, I'm pretty amazed with how much fun they actually were. I take back all the bad things I said about semi trucks before. I definitely see the appeal now.

Fookison

Supporting Member
Well done Matt! I like the contrast between your build and Josh's and great to see the diversity of you both to pull off a really interesting project! Not sure i would ever take this kind of project on, but I like the concept and final deliveries!

TLC

Scaled, but not fishy.
Gudday Matt,
Ever since you inspired me with LR Live (RIP....😞) I have been getting into editing my own images using GIMP.
For those who don't know, GIMP is a free downloadable image manipulating program.....
not to be confused with the one that Zed asked to be woken up in Pulp Fiction.........:loll:..........::awwcrap

It's a bit of a mash up program that does a little Lightroomy stuff and a few Photoshopy thingos...

Please see below my efforts to create the scene I feel you were going for above, but scale and strollers got in the way of..... :laugh:;)

New background for RCPC-B&W.jpg

There is a fair bit of funkiness on the outline of the container..... but I'm still learning how to fly this contraption.:blush:

Thank you for the many hours of entertainment and smooth Bob Ross vibes you gave us in our hour of need over the last 12 months with LR Live mate. ::2thumbs

dagabba

Supporting Member
Gudday Matt,
Ever since you inspired me with LR Live (RIP....😞) I have been getting into editing my own images using GIMP.
For those who don't know, GIMP is a free downloadable image manipulating program.....
not to be confused with the one that Zed asked to be woken up in Pulp Fiction.........:loll:..........::awwcrap

It's a bit of a mash up program that does a little Lightroomy stuff and a few Photoshopy thingos...

Please see below my efforts to create the scene I feel you were going for above, but scale and strollers got in the way of..... :laugh:;)

View attachment 41312

There is a fair bit of funkiness on the outline of the container..... but I'm still learning how to fly this contraption.:blush:

Thank you for the many hours of entertainment and smooth Bob Ross vibes you gave us in our hour of need over the last 12 months with LR Live mate. ::2thumbs
That's awesome @TLC

Reactions: TLC

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Gudday Matt,

View attachment 41312

That just made my day there! What an awesome shot you've created. I love this forced perspective stuff and I think you did an awesome job. Gimp is great, and will totally get the job done as I see here. Amazing.

LRL was a fun series, but it's difficult to do, as the amount of work required is really high. And for the engagement I was getting, I just could justify it any longer. Sad, but if I'm going to spend two hours talking on the internet, it should be more better! Ha!

TLC

Scaled, but not fishy.
That just made my day there! What an awesome shot you've created. I love this forced perspective stuff and I think you did an awesome job. Gimp is great, and will totally get the job done as I see here. Amazing.

LRL was a fun series, but it's difficult to do, as the amount of work required is really high. And for the engagement I was getting, I just could justify it any longer. Sad, but if I'm going to spend two hours talking on the internet, it should be more better! Ha!
No worries mate, glad you like it. ::2thumbs
I understand the amount of work the show would've involved and I think your reasons for ending it are completely justified and logical......
Not that you should need to justify how you choose to spend what is essentially your free time as you are already doing a full time job......;)
I just wanted to show my appreciation, you corrected three of my photos and even though I could never catch LR Live actually live, it really made my day to see my photos receiving your special touches when I watched the streams later....
Hang on...... receiving your "special touches"........

sounds like........

That's what she said.gif
:loll:::2thumbs

dagabba

Supporting Member
Seconded here- I thought the photos were beautiful and the process enlightening but was sadly never awake to see it live. Thanks again for what you did with one of mine- love it and it's now my desktop background.

On the other hand, I'm very excited to see what comes next! Loving the crazy little scx24/Landie!

And back on topic... I've started watching German scale Semi videos... oh dear... none have this much style though!

Last edited: