Recommend me a Transmitter

SurlyBurly

Some day I'll be both revered & passe like Madonna
I'm in the market for a quality transmitter. I'm primarily interested in model memory. More channels are better obviously but at least 3 I think sounds right, and to a lesser extent a rechargeable internal battery would be nice. Oh, and affordable receivers is a big plus. All that said I am still pretty new to the hobby and I don't have a great frame of reference for brands and so on, so feel free to recommend your favorites. Thanks.

Last edited:

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
I like Spektrum. Good radios, not super expensive. If you're into super cheap stuff, apparently Flysky is decent and way cheaper.

I'm running an older Spektrum DX4C. Has all the features you spoke of except the rechargeable pack, though it may be an option. I just run rechargeable cells because I had them already. It's not too heavy and seems to be plenty durable enough for me. The new Smart stuff they make is pretty cool, but the cost of it all is a premium. IMO look for a gently used Spektrum on ebay or Marketplace and you'll be set.

SurlyBurly

Spektrum and Flysky are the two names I was familiar with and its good to see the Spektrum endorsements. But I have found that the dx4c and dx5c prices are about the same, and easily double the FSGT5 for example. What does Spektrum offer that FlySky doesn't?

For me, the Spektrum fit & finish feels better. It feels more substantial and like a better product. Not to say the Flysky is less than, It's just the Spektrum feels better.

UpsidedownRC

Patience Tested!
Hi, I have just bought the Spektrum DX5C. Great transmitter and easy to use / set up. Also a bonus that I got 15% off of the item through ebay for some reason. A bargain at just over £90 (no receiver).

SurlyBurly

Thanks for the input everybody, there's no denying Spektrum seems to be favored, I guess I hesitate to pay for features like telemetry and "Smart" functionality I'll never use. Maybe I'll wait until at least a third challenger enters the ring.

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Thanks for the input everybody, there's no denying Spektrum seems to be favored, I guess I hesitate to pay for features like telemetry and "Smart" functionality I'll never use. Maybe I'll wait until at least a third challenger enters the ring.
You'd be surprised at how often that Smart stuff actually comes into play. At least, for me anyway!

Thorsteenster

Supporting Member
I'm looking at getting this for my current build. Although if I had an expectancy to be doing much more with RC going forward I'd get a Spektrum DX5 Rugged. Plus not working currently makes it hard to justify the cost of a Spektrum when the FlySky will more than meet current need.

zanthrax

Supporting Member
DX5 Rugged. And clone SR3100 receivers from eBay.
The DX5C works the same but without the waterproofing, rubber bumper, carrying hooks and a click wheel instead of the touch buttons.
Memory for 20 models. 5 channels.

Charly748

Running a 7PXR from Futaba (On a TRX4, XMaxx, Avante, Turbo Optima, TA04R… when I’ll be out of room I’ll still be able to put a microSD card to expend it), great transmitter. As the 10PX is comming out, if you find a 7PXR with a discount it may be a very good choice…

Timmahh

Spektrums are overpriced crap. No offense to their fanboys. But meh. For that kind of Money, go Futaba or KoProKo/JR. Even Airtronics would be better than Spectrum.

But as mentioned earlier the Flysky GT5 is a nice radio for the money.

However, for the same 80ish bucks, I'll recommend a Radiolink RC6GS.
its main, and only real limit is its model memory, which is 10 models. Limited only when compared to the high dollar Futaba, JR or others including speky.
Unless you have LONG Thumbs, its not very 1 hand drivable, but a thumb paddle for the steering fixes that.
The only other so so thing is the radio housing is a bit bulky, but not bad. Kind of reminds me of those late 2000 Spektrum 3 chnls which were big at the time.

But that's it on the not the best category.

10 model memory
6 channel
Telemetry providing signal strength, battery level of the RC with the RC7GS receivers (stock with the v2 RC6GS Radios) on the TX screen including Tx battery level, alerts/alarm setting for low voltage etc on both the battery pack and if you're on a gasser/nitro, the rx pack (if you have a 2nd battery running say lights and winch etc...)
USB for firmware upgrades
PMC/SBus connection/communication if needed for FPV or similar.
up to 1800 ft range (been verified by multiple users)
full channel mixing capability on all channels
2 3 way switches
3rd channel trim button by wheel along with the standard 1 and 2 chnl trim buttons
2 thumb buttons.
full aux button programmability so you can change how the aux buttons function.
rc6 rxs (no telem or gyro) are 12.00 rx7gs (with telem and gyro) rxs are only 22.00
They offer 5 or 6 different styles of rxs, some without a case for tight low weight options/use.

Plus a few other features like a screw mount for camera or screen mounting for FPV or cell phone holder etc.

I have owned high dollar Futaba, JRs, and even Spektrums (which is why I can say they suck, but know others really like them),
And I still have 2 Nomadio Reacts that I bought in 2009 and use them for my No Prep rigs.

But I honestly have to say this Radiolink RC6GS is the Best 400.00 Radio I have ever bought and its best feature is it comes in an 80.00 box.

I don't sell them, don't get any affiliate stuff. I just really like the radio and am very happy with it.
Especially for 80.00.
I would trust running it on my 2,000.00 plus No Prep rig if I didn't have my Nomadio Reacts.

Last edited: