Redcat 53 hauler

Bluedually4x4

Got my hands on one, and despite having seen videos of it... it is still pretty damn big. Naturally I got the blue one, for obvious reasons.

Redcat 53 Hauler by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

Used the wife's Testors color shift painted HPI Venture with the Proline Power Wagon body for load modeling purposes.

A gentleman named Bob, who runs Hobby Concepts LLC and does some great 14th scale videos on youtube. Also runs an online store where I picked up a Beier USM-RC-3 light and sound module and several LEDs. The local hobby shop is where I bought a Spektrum DX5 Rugged, which I am not real thrilled with. Programming it was a chore with that touch button crap. Also no where in the instructions or online could I find how to get AUX 3 to work, two hours of swearing and I randomly pulled the red wire out of the plug and everything magically worked again.

The truck has a ton of space to mount pretty much anything you could want under the bed or cab.

Programing the USM took some work, lights and even the MyTrickRC light bar were pretty easy. Sounds took some work, since all the sound files are in German. Getting the airbag deflate sound to play at the same time as the lay frame servos did their thing took the longest. But the USM can do so many different things that I was also able to slow the servos down, to make it look and sound like it is on airbags.

Just a nice photo of the lights on.

Still working on a full video of the lights and sound, but here is a short with some engine sounds, airbag sounds and some Snoop Dogg and The Doors from NFS Underground 2 sound track.

Kear

Bleb
Those haulers do look nice, of course bein' who I am (a weirdo) I'm most interested in the wheels n' tires! What do they measure at size wise for the wheel and the tire? and how wide are the tires, just a single, not the dually.

Also that Power Wagon looks right at home on the back!

Bluedually4x4

Those haulers do look nice, of course bein' who I am (a weirdo) I'm most interested in the wheels n' tires! What do they measure at size wise for the wheel and the tire? and how wide are the tires, just a single, not the dually.

Also that Power Wagon looks right at home on the back!
They are a slightly odd size. Wheels are 62mm edge to edge probably 60mm where the bead of the tire sits. Tires are 29mm wide at the tread, so the wheel is likely close to the same width. Overall tire height is 95-96mm. They are glued on and really stiff.
Airbag deflating sound is so cool!
To me, it was the speed and sound the truck needed.

Frizzen

That's a killer looking truck!

The airdown sound with lowering is sweet!!! Expect the host to screw up your audio since you used music that's not royalty free.

Bluedually4x4

That's a killer looking truck!

The airdown sound with lowering is sweet!!! Expect the host to screw up your audio since you used music that's not royalty free.
Interestingly enough, as long as the audio clip is under 30 seconds, no one seems to care. Its why any dashcam video I post is only 28-29 seconds in shorts or on Instagram.

Quick and poorly edited screen shot of the USM-RC-3 sound teacher program. All the sound files that come with the unit are labeled in German, though the folders are English. Like the engine sound folder is Auto-Ford F350 (V8) but as you can see in bottom screen shot, the engine sound files are German. Which makes figuring out the sound a bit of a chore, especially since high school German is now 24 years ago and technical stuff never came up. The top screen shot is the WAV player, and you can upload 22 tracks, depending on file size. With the songs, and all the other sounds I've only used up 2.67% of the SD card that comes with the USM.

USM-RC-3 by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

The right most screen grab is how I have the gear changes and engine percentages setup. Its a 1953 so I went with a four speed, the USM can do up to five speed. This took some playing with as I still don't know what percentage the blue line represents. I just know setting the high side to 100% with the low side at 60% gives the least annoying engine sounds. Stock program setting was just one speed and starts at 100% and went up to 200%, again not sure what it actually represents, but lower sounds better to me. You can also set each sound's volume percentage, I've dropped the back up alarm down to 15% in hopes of it not being as obnoxious as they are in real life.

All the little check boxes let you trigger an output with the sound playing, like an LED in the barrel of a gun as well as trigger the servo to recoil that barrel. Still struggling to figure out how to actually get the servo to move from just triggering the sound file. Only way I got the airbag sound and servo to work together was how I set it up in the Props tab and how I programmed that channel on the radio.

Bluedually4x4

Still a lot of sound teacher learning to go. Did get the truck outside in the light to get some better video of it. Just a short but its a little cleaner sound.

And a couple more photos, with it actually hauling something, my blue Power Wagon bodied HPI Venture SBK.
53 Chevy hauler by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

53 Chevy hauler by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

Bluedually4x4

Well, some new speakers showed up. Because a single 2" or 50mm just quite doesn't cut it. There is enough room under the cab for two 2.5" or 66mm speakers. Actually if you had a sound kit with enough power, a low profile 4" would fit up behind the grill. Need to FreeCAD a speaker box to mount them in and print it out.

New speakers by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

Bluedually4x4

The new motor and ESC finally came in while I was on vacation. The stock units are fine, but with the direction I want the build to go, I needed more power and speed.
20240327_200603 by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

Also found some brass tubing to make a new set of stacks out of, as the turn outs aren't my style and I want something taller. Maybe not this tall, but above the light bar for sure.
20240328_142304 by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

While surfing around for some inspiration, I did come across a few COE tow trucks with double bumpers. Which I kind of like the look of, adds a bit more protection to the front end and a little more meat to push a vehicle with. Also found a couple versions of a grill guard of sorts, because I am thinking more tow truck/service truck build than strictly car hauler.

404309496_3486747798252938_2504127569692436294_n by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

IMG_9618 by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

The flat bar the grill guard is made out of will be easy to replicate and is a very simple design I really kind of like. Now I just need to make a speaker box and get more video of the truck in stock form.

Last edited:

Bluedually4x4

Well the speaker box turned out okay-ish. All the sizes and angles are fine, but for what ever reason, this silver just does not print nicely. Same brand as the black and white PLA I have used, but silver just isn't printing nicely.
Speaker box by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

And in the truck, despite being really hard to see as the PLA matches the silver Redcat use to back all of the body colors, including black.
Speaker box by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

ItsTooBright!

They shoot canoes don't they?
I honestly couldn't see the speaker box until I looked closely!
Is it metallic? That could be why it could be printing bad.

Bluedually4x4

YouTube short with a clip of the new speaker setup.

Updated speaker box design.
speaker boxs by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

How they look under the cab. Lots of room in this truck to put all kinds of things in it.
Speaker box mounted by Gordon Latimer, on Flickr

If you want speaker boxes for your 53 hauler or other RC project you can find them here:

Bluedually4x4

And full video of how they fit in the truck and more sound clips. Truck is fairly loud when it is on concrete or asphalt. Still not thrilled with the sounds while driving, idle is fine but driving is kind of weird. Still looking for some different engine sounds to put in the truck.