Reiks Trucking Inc.

T

Tamiya Cowboy

Well time for another one of them worthless long and low working show rigs everybody loves to see :biggthumpup:. This is a rebuild of a truck I got and I have wanted to build a copy of a friend of mines truck for a while now so here we go. Now it wont be dead on but close I am going to change a few things I would change if it was mine and since he wont sell it to me Ill have to settle for this for now..

So here is the truck I am starting with..
004-45.jpg

006-39.jpg

Starting with a new frame that is shorter and one that has the ends of the rails tapered down.Now I went a little longer then his real truck but it is the same as my wife's orange truck..
001-37.jpg

Going to fast forward here a little you don't need a screw by screw build of a frame and if you do you need to use the manual..

Here is the frame with the running gear on I have lowered the front 1/4 inch and slid the axle forward also and mounted wedico tires on stock tamiya wheels for the low pro look. Also have on of IH Builders box bumpers mounted up front..
011-22.jpg

Next to make some 5 inch long fuel tanks out of PVC Pipe..
009-28.jpg

Ends cut out and glued on.
010-25.jpg

Now if you look I too another thin piece of plastic and cut out a 5/8 inch round piece and then flattened 2 sides so it look like the fuel tank bung that is welded to the tank and then I used a stainless thumb screw for a filler cap.
012-18.jpg

Little mock up..
008-32.jpg

Ok so now body mounted and a set of Brian in PA's pete steps mounted also.
013-13.jpg

And now for mounting the new tanks.
015-14.jpg

Now some of you might be saying that way is the tank mounts kind of goofy well I needed the thickness of the mount to raise the sleeper up so they are set in the same spots as the mounting holes for the sleeper..
016-15.jpg

017-11.jpg

Now on to the body work.. Not to bad of only 6hrs of work on it..:eek:

T

Tamiya Cowboy

Ok one more step closer to looking like Dave's truck.. I have added the cab skirts to the cab and the sleeper..

Started with a temp-let to get the sized and shape just right..
026-4.jpg

And then out of plastic..
027-6.jpg

Then the sleeper I should of got step by step picks but it took 2hrs to get the sleeper skirts right with the tanks and all but here are some. I started with plastic angle screwed and glued to the bottom of the sleeper.
018-9.jpg

Then cut fit remove cut fit remove cut fit remove and so on and son on.. And WA LA!
028-5.jpg

029-4.jpg

030-4.jpg

More detail and body work tomorrow ;)..

T

Tamiya Cowboy

Nice rig! Really cool idea on the abs tanks

Thanks Much for the great comment..:rock:

Ok little update from late last night..

Did my drive line like I always do nothing really new there.
001-38.jpg

Also did my little trick and I think others do something similar so it steers alot better.
003-46.jpg

004-46.jpg

002-44.jpg

Then i tried to see if i could make my eyes pop out of my head and make a shuttered grill and it just about worked after a hour and a half..
005-46.jpg

Used polished stainless for the shutters I still need to clean it all up from my fingers.
006-40.jpg

Chaseracer

Supporting Member
looking really good man like the pvc tanks and the grill looks great . been watching this build on rc truck and construction also, good to see you on SBG

T

Tamiya Cowboy

looking really good man like the pvc tanks and the grill looks great . been watching this build on rc truck and construction also, good to see you on SBG

Thanks Much Chaser.. Yeah I try to get around as much as I can as you reach people that you may not reach on just one board..:biggthumpup:

T

Tamiya Cowboy

These big rig builds are a pleasure to watch. Grill looks amazing!

Thanks Much Alan :biggthumpup: I should have a update tomorrow for some reason the paint on the frame has been curing slow but it is about there..

T

Tamiya Cowboy

Ok a little more done I am waiting on the roof to the sleeper but I got some done..

I built the deck plate and the 5th wheel mount I went with a fixed like the 1to1.
001-Copy.jpg

Then I was able to get it sprayed and let it dry a day as i went with a signal stage instead of a base clear on the frame..Also went semi gloss black on the trans as the motor in the real truck is semi gloss black with a red head on it.
003-Copy.jpg

007-31.jpg

004-47.jpg

005-47.jpg

009-30.jpg

008-33.jpg

006-41.jpg

Let me know what you think guys..

T

Tamiya Cowboy

looking great. :biggthumpup:

Thanks Much There Chaser..:biggthumpup:

Ok little update guys ..;)

First off I wanted to change the layout of the cab lights so I sanded it down with 60 with my DA and added a piece of .040 plastic to the top glued solid then body work and lay out the pattern..

Before
001-39.jpg

After
002-45.jpg

Pattern
003-47.jpg

Then I made these up last March as a few of you guys know I did them out of 3/4 copper and then soldered them together but the big ? has been with me and Jon is if the soldered with hold up to the polishing heat after the chrome well the answer is NOPE... I went to my buddys shop and used his polishing wheels and buffed the copper to a crazy shine and they got to hot for the solder so I Brazed this set up and made 2 more sets so ill have them chromed soon but here is the blacks ones I am planing on using on this truck.

004-48.jpg

005-48.jpg

006-42.jpg

008-34.jpg

Whatcha think?? waiting on a bunch of parts but I will have the cab in black tomorrow..

D

Dragan

That's a great looking build so far...the pipes though...I dunno...a bit too big for my tastes, looks a bit off scale.

T

Tamiya Cowboy

That's a great looking build so far...the pipes though...I dunno...a bit too big for my tastes, looks a bit off scale.

Thanks much dragan. The stacks are true to scale they are a 8 inch stack in one to one. Just the style we like to run around here.

T

Tamiya Cowboy

Got some parts in this week for the truck and I made a visor out of mirror stainless and I installed the headlights too. They are not the same ones as on the 1to1 but I dont like dual round so I went with dual square.

Here is the Visor-Lights and the Grill mounted..
003-50.jpg

004-50.jpg

Ok also got the center filler plate and lights in on and mounted..
005-50.jpg

Clean...
007-33.jpg

Rear Plate and lights..
006-44.jpg

I put 2-3mm studs in it with flanged nut..
006-44.jpg

008-36.jpg

T

Tamiya Cowboy

Ok got alot done on the truck this weekend. I did not do a great job of taking picks of everything I did but if you have questions please just ask..

First off I got the strips on the truck and it was not much fun or enough room on the side of the hood but it looks good I think. You can also see I got the door handles and door hinge painted silver and I cut out of chrome tape the covers for the sleeper vents.

001-42.jpg

Also you can see the 09 on the side of the hood. I made this by photo shopping the real pick of the truck to the right size then I printed it out on foil letter labels. Then since you could not see the red real good I took my ultra fine detail brush and painted the red on the decal and after it dried I covered it with crystal clear tape and cut it out..
002-47.jpg

Next I made the IOWA plates for the truck they are the same as the 1:1 plate I used http://www.acme.com/licensemaker/ then I copyed the image and put that in photo shop and scaled it down then printed it on decal paper and covered it with crystal clear tape too.
004-51.jpg

005-51.jpg

007-34.jpg

Next the back of the cab. I put in the 7 seven sleeper lights to match the 1:1 as well as the sleeper window and visor and the WFO decal on the window "don't ask I don't know what it means" I also photo shopped that off of his facebook page. Made the visor out of Mr. PA's sweet stainless he sells and the lights are some more of Lynns handy work..
008-37.jpg

Also on the back of the cab I made the CB whip to match and a mounting bracket that is bolted to the sleeper..
009-32.jpg

006-45.jpg

I still have to paint the seats and dash and hammer out some alum half fenders and get the trucking Logo plus radio gear sound unit and light kit. Also I have to get the 2 grab bars mounted on the back of the sleeper but I am getting close.

Also I failed to mention that the great rear light plate and center tank light plate were made to my specks by Russ so Thanks Much Russ!!..

T

Tamiya Cowboy

Thanks much Alan.. I am adding the 3rd strip now to match the 1to1..

D

Deric

WFO means WIDE @#%$ING OPEN.. Its a racing deal, lol. Truck looks awesome

T

Tamiya Cowboy

Great build, love the extra detail and new stance

Thanks Much Unglewd!!I am trying to get everything I can off his truck on this I even have a guy making me a scale angry duck for on top of the grill..

WFO means WIDE @#%$ING OPEN.. Its a racing deal, lol. Truck looks awesome

Yeah I know now we never used that in snow cross but I forgot he races Hobby Stock..Thanks For the great comment..

Little UP DATE...:biggthumpup: Been getting grief from a good buddy that is close to the truck and one of the guys that drove it about it only having 2 stripes I did not think I could fit the 1st stripe and it have the right spacing but I worked on it last night and finished tonight and it fit great and looks spot on..

001-43.jpg