Simca 1200s Bertone Coupe 1:10

Lem

Thx 2beers,
if it wouldnt be for you guys here and on youtube i would have never got the idea to get into this adventure.

You guys know what smiley is missing for the board?
The snappy salute ( o7 )

Lem

A guy from a local rc club contacted me. He owns a cheap chinese cnc router (3018 something, dont know the exact model)
I sent him 2 aircraft models and my Maserati Merak SS.
I think he used Fusion360 to automatically unwind the model, so it can be projected onto a flat surface. That is pretty similar to the texture mapping i used for these models, except that the texture mapping isnt accurate as long as i don?t manipulate the mapping manually to get rid of distortions (vertical and horizontal)
This method would be only useful for papercut models.
1st attempts were a mess, because the models are made of different sections ( for the damage model in game, so that individual parts can get damaged or/and destroyed).
This means i have to glue all these parts back together into 1 mesh, no big deal.
It turns out you do not need very high detailed 3d models (except if you want to 3d print them) and low poly game models work fine for such stuff.
All the surface details need to be hand crafted anyway
:cool:

P.S.: We ran some tests with Pepakura Designer, which is an app for unfolding 3d data for papercut models.
Some conclusions from these tests
3d model needs to be simple, avoiding details, which can be handcrafted later on the model, helps the app to cut the model into meaningful pieces.
for more boxy cars like my Maserati it works well and might be an option to construct without creating a cage like i want to do for my Simca.
NGzOafq.gif

This i an example of a texture layout and the app does nearly the same with the 3d model.
This could mean there is no need for an excessive cage like i i plan to do.

Interesting to see how many approaches to 1 end result are existing. I am also amazed by the curiosity and open mind of people in the modeller scene, usually i had to deal with competition and people keeping their secrets in the industry.
This is such a refreshing and motivating experience.

Lem

Maserati Merak unfolded for tests. That could really work for making templates for the plastic sheets. Will keep you updated.
2VGCsk9.png

BlgJryH.jpg

Lem

And finally something outside of the PC.

Unfortunally my plastic sheet and laser cutting source is too busy with work and family and i couldnt wait, switched to my remaining wood from my Lavochkin La5fn i built a few years ago and started cutting ribs.
basic inner box will be now hardwood and the acryl laser cutted parts have to wait for the Exner race version.

k2tUWbJ.jpeg

Lem

Nearly all ribs are cut and my m-02l chassis arrived.
Unfortunally i couldnt find parts for changing it to a 225mm wheelbase m-02m. But overall, i like the look and form of the m-02.
Might sell it again and also selling my 2 foam planes and look for something else then.
I will definitely play with it though to get used to this (at least for me) tech toy.

8CIUYsU.png

lLeT7at.jpg

Ghostpig

V.I.P. Member
You might wanna check out 3racing Sakura Mini Mg, Sakura M4 or Sakura M Pro kits. They can be built to 225mm wheelbase and they are rather affordable kits and the M Pro is full carbon and alloy.

Lem

Tank you for this suggestion. Friends here at a local rc club pointed me towards the Carten M210+conversion kit. But to afford this i need to sell my aircrafts 1st.
I might even keep the M-02L, since the wheelbase would be also perfect for a Volvo PV544, the last car i owned in my life.

My real car career went this way:
VW Beetle 1967 model
Karman Ghia Type 14 1970
Citroen ID19, cant remember anymore which year actually, but must have been also late 60ies
Citroen DS21 Pallas 1971
Simca 1200s
Volvo PV544

and since 2006 only public transport.

So i have 2 more car models on my list which dont exist yet. (at least to my knowledge)

Frederik

Supporting Member
Tank you for this suggestion. Friends here at a local rc club pointed me towards the Carten M210+conversion kit. But to afford this i need to sell my aircrafts 1st.
I might even keep the M-02L, since the wheelbase would be also perfect for a Volvo PV544, the last car i owned in my life.

My real car career went this way:
VW Beetle 1967 model
Karman Ghia Type 14 1970
Citroen ID19, cant remember anymore which year actually, but must have been also late 60ies
Citroen DS21 Pallas 1971
Simca 1200s
Volvo PV544

and since 2006 only public transport.

So i have 2 more car models on my list which dont exist yet. (at least to my knowledge)

I was about to ask why you said "the last car i owned in my life" as if you stopped owning cars :D And I saw you added the details on that while my page was already loaded, so the answer appeared after I clicked Reply with quote :)

What do you mean with 2 more car models in the list don't exist yet?

Also that's some complex origami stuff in your pictures (Maserati Merak). Reminds me of when I tried to do a monocoque chassis from thin steel and used paper for the model. I gave up.

Can't wait to see the wood slices taking shape into a body!

Lem

Hehe yes, i was multitasking while playing World of Warships, i shouldnt do that.
With car models, which dont exist i mean, they dont exist as rc car models......like building game models outside of contracts, i try to choose what doesnt exist yet in the world.
Why should i build myself a Karmann if i could already buy it. Sure modifying it, converting it to a convertible, that would make sense to me, but creating it from scratch.....nope.
Now Karmann Ghia Type 34 would be totally different.......since it doesnt exist, as far as i know.
At least i couldnt find anything when searching.

Frederik

Supporting Member
Oh I see! Yes I understand now and totally agree, doing a body from scratch, might as well choose one that is not already available!

Are these wheels and tires M sized? They look bigger. Or maybe it is because I am used to see the M wheels on a larger car lol! I never saw these tires on M chassis, neither those wheels, but I am not an expert on M chassis anyways.

Caprinut

You could do as I did with my M02 Capri porject, make a new middle section in any material you like.
I made that section out of styrene..

Lem

Regarding wheel size...i dont have a clue, dont know.

Caprinut: Great tip, thank you very much. i seem to think always too complicated :biggthumpup:

Lem

Small update, GF got fever after returning from work meeting in a hotspot....so we have to wait for corona test result....i really hate this year.
Local RC club member offered me to use his tools, when i am ready, in return i build a 3d model for him.
So the next days it will be 3d work again.

cAK8Dwf.jpg

Lem

Thank you, all fine, she just has a lot of health problems and always overstress her body and the fever usually is a reaction to tell her to slow down, no corona.

Lem

got rid of a lot of waste creating the inner cage.....doesnt look pretty, but will do its job.
Would i have known i would switch from plastic to wood i would have made the ribs differently.....but well next time. Some of them are too narrow for wood.

EQylDDw.jpg

Tomorrow i will start placing all the ribs.

At least now i got rid of some foam i had horded for aircraft projects i never realized.

Lem

Ribs break....too narrow for balsa wood.......now it backfires that they are meant to be plastic.
Already noticed design flaws, even if it would be plastic. I shouldnt have planed to do the windows later, i should have planed the ribs for a solid shell and then cut out window areas after the whole body was planked.
Since this is only made out of waste material its at least a good way to check my thought errors.
Next rib set will be designed differently and definitely cnc cutted in a FabLab, afrter Lockdown is over. I need to work also on the 3d model to account for the knowledge i gained

ndjoeIb.jpg

rally037

Supporting Member
Hey Lem, this construction method reminds me of a 1:10 Formula 3 car I did as part of my graduation thesis at University many many years ago, don't give up, good luck!

Lem

Thx Rally,
you can be sure i wont give up. I am still old school and believe that i learn the fastest by doing mistakes.
You studied design, very good choice i must say. My only official education i have is as car mechanic....everything else i did, from coding to being a game artist is self taught, so i am not concerned at all. Also knowing my psychological profile (starting projects and then dont finishing it) i tricked myself with publishing it early and putting myself under pressure that way.;)

rally037

Supporting Member
Thx Rally,
you can be sure i wont give up. I am still old school and believe that i learn the fastest by doing mistakes.
You studied design, very good choice i must say. My only official education i have is as car mechanic....everything else i did, from coding to being a game artist is self taught, so i am not concerned at all. Also knowing my psychological profile (starting projects and then dont finishing it) i tricked myself with publishing it early and putting myself under pressure that way.;)

Excellent ::2thumbs