Sno Mo Fo from Generis

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
well, my dear wife found this cool thing for me 3 years ago, It came with a totally useless everything, and couldn't scale a snow bank if you begged it with octane boost.
ANywho, I had enough goodies laying around to put this together with some real RC goodies. Has been 3 years, and it's had more work done in the last 2 weeks than the 2 years before that.. hahaha!

Pics of where we are now:
Got the servo in, rx, esc, battery, and motor. Need some steering linkage, and we are going again..

You can see the rear(front) of the battery here. It goes under the seat, with the esc in front on the tunnel. The battery wouldnt fit in there thanks to the stock pack being AA sized, so I pressed on the seat and heated the top of the plastic with a micro torch to re-shape the seat. I'm happy with that, and it doesn't actually look bad. Plus there is a driver to sit there anyway..

snomo002.jpg

snomo003.jpg

Can see the rear of the machine here with the battery door on the back. The 6 cell nicad (from my B10) went in here and if you want it out, you have to get the seat off first.

snomo004.jpg

The front section needed some MAJOR massaging. There was a giant geared spring thing that was supposed to do the steering, and basically hogged most of the front. Strange, but barely functional thing. The drivetrain has good gears and setup, but had a tiny servo sized motor to run the thing. My CX2 has bigger motors. hahaha
I stuck in a 550 I stole from a power drill (this whole thing was made from stuff I got from somewhere else, no joke.. every part!). The motor is mounted semi-normally on an aluminum angle that's epoxied to the belly and everywhere else, and I stole the pinion from another power drill I took apart maybe 5 years ago. Crazy, but same teeth size as the spur, and off we go. Crazy. Servo I stole from a smashed airplane (don't ask) and the tx/rx I stole from I think it was the B10 again. Esc got donated in a box of random goodies a local guy gave me (works great).

snomo001.jpg

snomo005.jpg

The thing runs now, but has no steering tierods yet.. going to hit that sooner than later. I was too chicken to make up the proper front suspension, although I may still try, seeing it can be done now. ( thanks, matt)
The next real hurdle will be to keep the track from ratcheting. It has that habit even on the stock power, so this will be a treat. Might have to machine up some slide rails for it and steal matt's idea for the rear spring (sick idea)

BIGBIRD

V.I.P. Member
great now im really going to have to do mine. lol im going to sit back for a bit and watch you and my bro.

Last edited:

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
I got to thinking that a micro brushless setup would be a nice match for one of these.. that and a small lipo. Without the battery, it doesn't weigh that much...

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
well, I got this going tonight, and it's GREAT! haha never imagined. I took a half inch of travel out of the front in order to get the steering to work, but that's fine with me.. It had bad track ratchetting still, so I took out the rear idler shaft and re-drilled it 3/16 inch back farther, and that fixed it in all but the worst situations. The motor has good power, and it lifts the skis a bit! hahaha and takes off nice. The weight is sitting the suspension on the rear right at the point of 'squat' so it's perfectly preloaded and nice and soft in the rear... just like the real xC hahaha (I'm a bomby guy. shhh)
maybe 7 feet later my no-locktite pinion came off the motor, so now it's drying and soon to be taken pictures. What fun! the tunnel is full of mud now from the back yard! Can't imagine how fun the df-300 would be now that I have a tracked vehicle.. wow

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
here's the finished pics.. running (or sledding) and all a go. Fun with a hood right here.

snomo000.jpg

snomo006.jpg

snomo007.jpg

Here's the odd but solid steering linkage. If you look at the fact it is a solid rod for the steering, and no nothing for ball mounting or anything, you will understand why I had to basically lock the front suspension.

snomo008.jpg

snomo009.jpg

Can see here that I stuck a traxxas slipper clutch spring inside the 'shock' slider. That gives me around a half inch of ski travel, and after that, it's tight as a ... well .... tight anyway.

snomo010.jpg

I had to tighten the track, so this is what I did. Picture shows all, basically you can see that the rear wheel is moved back and it's not in the 'groove' like the other wheels. BUT it cured the track cog completely. Nice.

snomo011.jpg

We are getting small snow here now, so I'm ready man.... bring it on!

matt c

Lookin' good! Thanks for the track tightening mod! I'm also taking notes on you're steering. Goin' down to have a look at mine now. Maybe put some more time in tomorrow. We may be getting some snow here on Friday?

HeyOK

HeyOK Performance
So cool to see you put new life into these things!

Matt - are you serious about snow in Abby by Fri?

matt c

Matt - are you serious about snow in Abby by Fri?
That's what I've heard. I'm up on the mountain too, so I'll see it up here before it hits the town. New house. I haven't spent a winter up here yet. Looking forward to it. I'm not sure what the current update is. I'll have to check it out. They may have said 'flurries' for Friday.

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
so our snow that we HAD melted for close to 2 weeks, and there's some nice small amounts here now, but it's cold, so it's hard as rock. PERFECT! I had the little scoot out for a burn this AM before work, and it's a blast! Just like the real thing, but not as much ski lift! the inside ski comes up on hard cornering, it's stable, and goes pretty good too! HHAAA what a blast! I'll try to get some vid for you all sooner than later.

K

koomz

awesome cant wait to for snow so I can play with mine ..no mods yet but still fun for sure on the carpet lol.

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
I've learned to choose the 'line' carefully, as the skis just dig in when using reverse.. but we are crawlers, so line-picking is easy for us! :laugh:

K

koomz

I've learned to choose the 'line' carefully, as the skis just dig in when using reverse.. but we are crawlers, so line-picking is easy for us! :laugh:

so im guessing its only good when the snow has a frozen layer on top..? not in soft snow then?

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
I don't have enough snow here to know that yet, but will by Wednesday by the sounds of it!

K

koomz

i finally got some snow tried out my lil stock guy ..deff gotta tighten the track like u did..but man its super cool thats for sure..got a lil clip up in the other vid gallery...u get yours out yet?

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
sure did! had them out for a couple of weeks, and it's a great time! the big one (the 800) is nice and quick now with the rc gear in it! fun!
I'll go look for the vid...