Spares or Repairs Cherokee

SeanOB

HI ! I'm new here, and to the hobby in general, but thoroughly enjoying it all so far.

After getting hooked customising and driving my first RC crawler, the little scx24, I decided I would like to venture into 1:10 land.

I chose a SCX10ii raw builders kit, plus an axial Lexan Cherokee XJ body. I'm new to all of this so played it safe with a body I knew would align with the prescribed wheelbase. Plus, I really like XJs, if I could find a non rotten example in 1:1 I would fix that up too!

DSC05097 by 5EAN11, on Flickr

I decided to go a bit crazy when I spotted a deal for the Hobbywing AXE550 3300Kv motor and esc combo. With a 3S battery it really is much faster than I will likely be able to drive it, but now that I set it up properly it can also go incredibly slow and smooth.

DSC05099 by 5EAN11, on Flickr

Took a bit of battery tray trimming to fit that long motor, but no biggy.

As you might have guessed, I am going for the Junkyard Jeep look with this one.

sprayed brown primer on the inside and out, then a white primer before a nice deep blue.
DSC05135 by 5EAN11, on Flickr

After getting that nice'n pretty I sanded it down to look suitably haggard.

DSC05138 by 5EAN11, on Flickr

DSC05139 by 5EAN11, on Flickr

DSC05163 by 5EAN11, on Flickr

Really happy with it so far, will show some of the weathering detail progress next.

Frizzen

Looking really good, nice well used jeep. Probably could use some panel outlines and window gaskets with a fine sharpie

As an XJ owner:
Please take a dremel to the rockers and apply weathering.
Please lightly do the same behind rear wheelwells
Also a couple rust spots on top of roof, and below fuel filler door.

I really like the details on that body more than my Parma. Is it an Early or Late XJ?

SeanOB

Looking really good, nice well used jeep. Probably could use some panel outlines and window gaskets with a fine sharpie

As an XJ owner:
Please take a dremel to the rockers and apply weathering.
Please lightly do the same behind rear wheelwells
Also a couple rust spots on top of roof, and below fuel filler door.

I really like the details on that body more than my Parma. Is it an Early or Late XJ?

Thanks Frizzen! And thanks for the tips, I got some of that 1mm tape to create window seals which seems to have helped. This one is a facelift, 2000. Annoyingly a lot of the details on these Lexan ones come as stickers that I definitely won't be using. Tried the scuttle panel one and it really looked wrong, so took it off along with a load of paint :hmmm:

I had to laugh and sigh at your honest insight into the reality of the essential rust spots. Been checking out a few as a cheap, fun daily driver option, but not found anything that isn't too far gone !

Photos from a few days ago; added some mud and rust spots with washes and cheap make up. I'm still waiting for some iron effects paint to turn up to make my fake rust into real rust:

back by 5EAN11, on Flickr

front by 5EAN11, on Flickr

I do have some iron filings in there, but they will need some encouragement to get rusting. Steel wool and vinegar left outside tonight!

will have to deal with that interior next.

SeanOB

I like it alot already.

More please

Thank you!
more on instagram if anyone is interested: @mudz_rc

My paint prep seems to have been lacking, chips off way too easily. But, its okay, the Lexan body was intended as a learning platform, hardbody on its way (on a slow boat from China) !!

Here she is last weekend in the woods before I finished the weathering:
XJ 5 by 5EAN11, on Flickr

XJ 4 by 5EAN11, on Flickr

I'm hoping to learn to braze, make some rock sliders, bumpers, maybe a roof rack. Thats the long term plan anyway.

SeanOB

I really had to do something about that interior. The yellow seats were standing out terribly in contrast to the dark body colour.
Version 2 by 5EAN11, on Flickr

These are also a very basic tray behind the rear seats, so it was time to get chopping.
DSC05442 by 5EAN11, on Flickr

Brown paint over the yellow actually came out with a bit of a leather look I think. Gave the dash some detail, even if it isn't really in keeping with a real XJ interior.
IMG_1252 by 5EAN11, on Flickr

Onto the trunk, CAD templates employed for a mock up with magnets.
IMG_1142 by 5EAN11, on Flickr

First time working with styrene went quite well, though I of course made some mistakes that will be avoided in Phase 2 of this, when I eventually remake the interior from scratch.
IMG_1220 by 5EAN11, on Flickr

Its held down by magnets for now, with bottle caps made into little signs covering them. Those will go onto a DIY scale garage soon hopefully.
Should I mount the styrene to the chassis, or fenders, with bolts for now? If this was my final set up I could just epoxy it.

IMG_1214 by 5EAN11, on Flickr
tail lights needed next! Though I might not bother, as the hard body replacement should turn up soon.

IMG_1250 by 5EAN11, on Flickr
Metal wipers got some paint, but they are mounted the opposite way to a 1:1. Scuttle panel vents are also too wide, but better than nothing I suppose.

DSC05471 by 5EAN11, on Flickr
Thicker window seals added, and panel gaps darkened a bit.

SeanOB

Repurposed one of our old garden sheds to make a scale workshop this weekend gone. The shed had conveniently dismantled itself during a series of winter storms earlier this year, so it provided lots of suitable worn out scrap.

I threw some old wood stain I found in said shed over the whole thing once bodged together, because apparently I was not allow to put it in our nice new craft-room looking like this:
IMG_1335 by 5EAN11, on Flickr

using a suitably scale slab of slate, I made my first feature

A couple crooked shelves help to finish off this side, plus a few crown corks to look like signs to cover up the nails. Also featuring a bigger sign made by Instagram friends that I am yet to mount.

will need some more materials (?0.98 for some 6mm x 6 mm strip wood) from the hardware, but hope to add a barn door and boarded up window on the other walls, behind the Jeep in the first pic.

Been fun building stuff again, hope to add more soon!

Jeep related progress news; the hardbody replacement has been lost on the slow boat from China, so will be an even longer wait than expected before I can get onto that. Still, happy with small steps all the same, like windshield wipers, scuttle panel and the addition of a driver :cool:

IMG_1305 by 5EAN11, on Flickr

2Beers

It's me again.
Jeep looks like a lot of fun.
Great job on that back drop and the little details too.
::2thumbs

Cant wait to see what you do with the hard body when it arrives.

SeanOB

Thanks 2Beers! I have really enjoyed using it the last few weekends, but now the paint has chipped a lot. So, this body has been sanded down and will get repainted, while I wait for the replacement.

Found a bumper that fits nicely, just needed some rust!

The oversized arches on these axial bodies might be better suited to a more aftermarket, black look. So I will change things up a bit with the new look. Just wish it would stop raining so I could finish it!

Jeep looks like a lot of fun.
Great job on that back drop and the little details too.
::2thumbs

Cant wait to see what you do with the hard body when it arrives.

SeanOB

This one is just a cheapo I found on Amazon UK, Dilwe RC is the brand.

I broke it pretty quickly, but a buddy has welded it back together for me. Much stronger now!

Nice. Were did you get that bumper?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

SeanOB

IMG_1904.jpg

quick update - repainted the lexan and went for a few mix matched panels this time.

IMG_1906.jpg

The tyres are the class1 size Proline BF G KM3's, which look a bit small under the over sized Axial body arches, but fit the hard body much better. Got to get on with prep for that one now that its finally here !

SeanOB

Lookin mighty good, I don't even want to say "for lexan", it's lookin good regardless. Well done mate.
Thank you ! That's very kind of you :giggle:. It definitely does have its limitations, being lexan. But has served its purpose well; to test a few techniques on and just hit the trail. Very excited to get the hard body together now.

SeanOB

Acquired a human size XJ recently!
rRaxc0S.jpg

After spending some time with the real thing, I decided the tinyjeep really was missing the typical roof racks.
9fbdAxr.jpg

I couldn't figure out a way to make anything strong enough out of styrene to support some heavy cargo, so resorted to wooden strips and steel straws I had lying around.

Had made a pallet a while back, which I gave a few coats of coffee, followed by rusty steel wool - vinegar.
0qBviDA.jpg

C0sdZ45.jpg

really helps with the bobbly wobbly.

Also put some time in more recently getting the hard shell modified a bit. I want to bolt the body on, so spent ages cutting out the hood for battery & power switch access. I have made some tabs out of styrene, plus this simple release mechanism for the front. Its a repurposed axial shock shaft, passed through a little donut magnet I had spare from those post mount magnet things.

2LNm79t.jpg

Je1FSi9.jpg

yet to epoxy that last magnet onto the hood, but my reinforcements seem to hold, and the mechanism works :giggle: