Styrene or sentra

snapon12

V.I.P. Member
I went to the lhs to see about getting s few things to try my hand at scratch building. I didn't buy anything because they had sintra and not styrene. Which is best? Also what are the most used pieces?

Thanks

snapon12

V.I.P. Member
I guess I misspelled it. However they didn't have styrene they had a different product. Has anyone used it, which is better? I think he called it sintra.

snapon12

V.I.P. Member
OK I found a place that had very minimal amount of styrene. Me and my son built a tamiya tracked vehicle. Which was fun with 4 yr old assistance. I tried my hand at scratch building I need to get some more material. I also need to find a basic build or more information about using the material.
cbd175159a65ed54487878f9b03f0bd7.jpg

Halme

V.I.P. Member
Great build! Looks fun and I'm sure that your son had fun too! :biggthumpup:

I get my building materials from "industrial specialized accessories"-shop (not a regular hardware store), surely it may vary where you live but generally they use these materials (styrene, PVC-panel/Sintra/Komacel/Forex..) as base for backlighted advertisement signs, information panels etc.. Usually the price is a lot cheaper than from hobby shop! (excluding thinner materials, industrial shops dont usually offer these.)

snapon12

V.I.P. Member
Thank you for the help / tip. Could you point me I the direction of some builds on here that give a bit of how to

longtalltexan

Supporting Member
2 Beers sent me some Sintra a while back and I finally got to try it out about a month ago. I just looked it up and this is how it is defined.

SINTRA? BOARD - RIGID PVC PLASTIC SHEETS

Sintra is a lightweight yet rigid board of moderately expanded closed-cell polyvinyl chloride (PVC) extruded in a homogenous sheet with a low gloss matte finish.

It is much lighter than styrene, but still stiff. It cuts well with a band saw or x-acto knife and can be bent into shape. One difference between Sintra and styrene is that Plastic welder does not work on Sintra. I used gorilla glue and PVC pipe glue (I was in a pinch) to bond the joints.

Harry