Suzuki Carry Van - WPL D12.

Shannwah

G'day Champions.
Greetings all!

In the spirit of.......well, I really don't know!.....I'll be spending way too much time, energy and money on an RC that is borderline toy grade!

So we all know and love the household name of WPL and when they released the D12 truck, it was pretty much a no brainer that my collection needed this totally unnecessary oddball thing.

I thought about doing something nice with the truck bed - work truck, bicycle or motorcycle transporter.....I even thought of building some sort of food truck just so I could put a slogan on it somewhere that says "This truck does doughnuts!", but as always, that idea just didn't cut it, so going for something a bit more unique......#vanlife!

The first step as always is a bit of disassembly and sadly, this time around the trusty old razor saw didn't get to have its fun. the whole thing just came apart with a few screws!

20201206_231815.jpg

But I bet WPL had crazy people like us in mind when they were designing this thing as it turns out they included this handy little template with the model that is just perfect for a build like this. I was able to use it to cut out all my bulkheads and the tailgate and keep the shape of the body all along. Thanks WPL!

20201209_195937.jpg

Then more pieces of the puzzle were created.

20201210_213530.jpg

Then it was a fairly straightforward matter of sanding off some of the paint and creating bracing for the joins.

20201207_113325.jpg

Then get joining!

20201212_174733.jpg

20201212_174749.jpg

20201212_175051.jpg

20201212_175858.jpg

Obviously more work to do, but that's where it's at for now.

luckland

Supporting Member
Interesting. Are there many tiny vans in Australia? Japan is filled with these mini cars, as you can imagine.

Bishops RC

Supporting Member
Nice to see your unique idea and touch on this wpl toy. It remind to me my friends old Suzuki Carry :D Good memories..

carry.jpg

Shannwah

G'day Champions.
I like it :biggthumpup:

Cheers!

Oh yes, this is good.

Thank you!

Very cleaver and very cool so far!!

Thanks!

Nice to see you back here Shannon! And with a fun project, to boot!

Nice to be back....again! I have a habit of disappearing doin't I!

That?s adorable!

Goal achieved!!

Cool build. Used to see heaps of these in Japan. Carry on sir!

Thanks!

+1 here, what a cool project, can't wait to see the end result.
Nik

Cheers!

That's awesome, great idea!!

Thank you!

Very cool, there aren't enough rc Vans

Should be fun to watch this one come together

Yeah true!

Interesting. Are there many tiny vans in Australia? Japan is filled with these mini cars, as you can imagine.

They used to be somewhat popular I think in the 80's and 90's. Maybe not so much now. A family friend had one when I was a kid.

Most excellent crafting

iNoob

Thanks!

Yeah !
Looking good :)
I remember "Daihatsu" had a similar product called a Daihatsu Hijet + a 4WD version was available
https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=daihatsu+hijet+4x4&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Yeah Toyota also had their versions too, the LightAce and MiniAce I believe.

Nice to see your unique idea and touch on this wpl toy. It remind to me my friends old Suzuki Carry :D Good memories..

View attachment 36945

Ah yes, the high-top, when you really want the jellybean look! That's a slightly later model than this one too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New update.
Tailgate was added and started filling gaps around the top. The roof is needing a couple more layers of styrene to get it uniform, much sanding is ahead!

20201213_194933.jpg

20201213_194957.jpg

And a decent amount of work has been completed on the side layers that will be added.

20201214_150809.jpg

20201219_154933.jpg

20201219_154820.jpg

20201217_203007.jpg