The Bluesmobile - Axial Wraith Build Off Entry

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
:biggthumpup: So nice to see these arriving this week, you guys seemed so anxious waiting.
Love the theme!

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Is the cigarette lighter gonna work or will it be broken on purpose?:biggthumpup:

Not sure yet, but this cop motor is pretty nice.

Whatever, just pix of a boring ole' Wraith. Don't even know if I'll keep it (in this form for long)...

:luxhello:

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
I took it outside for a quick stock run today and I love this thing! It's a lot faster than I'm used to and it's prone to tipping if you're on full throttle and lock the steering. It'll take some getting used to but I'm very happy with it in it's stock form. Not sure I could handle much more speed.

The interior is cool, but it's all a little too shiny and stickery for me. I'll need to do something about that.

It didn't stay in it's original condition for long.

This is my starting point. I've been thinking about this day for a long time. My Bronco body is getting chopped up to make some new panels.

It's almost as if the Wraith was made to fit this body. It's a little short, but I'll make it work. The width at the back presented a challenge, but I think I've got that sorted too.

I made the front clip work very nicely. I'm really excited about the look of this so far.

The roof is essentially the same shape as the stock one but I like including the front lip from the Bronco.

I split the rear down the middle and rejoined it with Shoe goo. Hope it holds, as I really want to retain the look of the Bronco's rear end.

That's it for now!

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Here's some paint progress pics. I need to get some flat black to finish the exterior but it's coming along. I did intend to make this look like the Bluesmobile, but it's been kinda free-form.

You can also see my new wheel/tire choice. CAC EZ-Locs with RC4WD MilSpec 2.2's.

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Wicked choice, I've been setting bodies on top of mine and it's surprising how many fit on there... the bronco seems to be one of the best. I love the tire and wheel combo with this too!

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
So, I'm pretty close to done. I'm super stoked to get out onto the trails with this bad boy. I'd like to cover the battery tray in the back, make a fuel cell and reroute the cables so they don't constantly annoy me by staring right at me. Not sure if any of you guys have dealt with James French (Beetlelover) over on the Tamiya forums, but I've ordered a selection of his finely crafted racer heads and I'm planning on doing one up for this build. His heads are truly out of this world. Check his stuff out here:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/trades_model.asp?cid=101624&id=3092

I'm wondering if I should put a licence plate on it or leave it as is. I mean, not that it'd ever be street legal anywhere on this continent but hey, I like licence plates. On to the pix:

I knew I'd never be able to get rid of the seam on the rear, so heck, I made sure it looked as close to a weld as possible and sprayed some primer over it. Thanks for the inspiration pardonmynoob.

And my first experiment with HDR Photography. Did I mention I love my new camera?

H

Hillbillycrawler

Man those pictures are sweet.they make it look like you are right in front of it.

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
:hitit:
wow, completely new truck. Can't believe how these look with such cool bodywork and the double lane wide axles! HAHA!

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Man those pictures are sweet.they make it look like you are right in front of it.

Thanks, the camera and lensing really helps with that.

:hitit:
wow, completely new truck. Can't believe how these look with such cool bodywork and the double lane wide axles! HAHA!

THanks, I'm really happy with it.

Lookin good and nice pics .

What camera you using?

Thanks, Canon 60D.

it looks ALIVE in the last photo! 100% awesom

It's comin' to get you! Thanks very much.

great job looks awsome 100% BADASS!

Thanks man, hopefully Friday I'll have some video!

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Looks awesome! Great HDR as well!:rock:

I'm trying! Thanks bud.

Decided that I wasn't finished after all.

I started fabbing up a rear cover and a fuel cell. I keep getting more and more ideas for this build. I need to figure something out for this interior...