"The Milk Man is Here"!! DIVCO Build.

joe122

So while waiting for a couple parts for the Winnebago I have had a build on my mind for some time that I'd thought I would give a go on. OK, I may date myself here, but there has been a truck that I've had on the "must build" list for some time. It may bring back memories for some of you or a few may say WHAT IS A DIVCO???? Detroit Industrial Vehicle Co., made a series of delivery trucks, mostly milk route delivery trucks from 1938 to 1986, and I've always dug these little work horse vehicles. I am going to attempt to build a '54 Series U and try to mimic the inner structure before I skin it using an enlarged pattern drawing for the template. Just a rough start, and been messing around a bit in my spare time. Of course there is an inspiration photo or 2! #divco #milktruck
house-kolors-custom-divco-truck-delivers-goods-2018-02-28_17-36-01_277477.jpg42731804_10216067272701991_5075254629097275392_n.jpgIMG_2864.jpgIMG_2920.jpg67784330_10206596930317283_1433148668763963392_n.jpg

joe122

A little more progress on the Milk Truck. Added skin, started the curvy stuff, sanded some fenders.IMG_2925.jpgIMG_2940.jpgIMG_2938.jpgIMG_2943.jpgIMG_2944.jpg

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
So what are you "skinning" it with? Is that styrene? Sintra? Komacel? Pretty thick stuff from the looks of it.

joe122

So what are you "skinning" it with? Is that styrene? Sintra? Komacel? Pretty thick stuff from the looks of it.

It's .080 styrene. I like the thicker styrene for this build so I can slightly radius the corners.

ShopGTR

Cruisin'
It' looks DIVCOlt to do, but you've got serious skills.

Hey, I'm a dad, these are the jokes we make now......

hairba11

It' looks DIVCOlt to do, but you've got serious skills.

Hey, I'm a dad, these are the jokes we make now......

Is GOL a thing? Groaning Out Loud? This is off to a good start. Is the hood radius going to be filler based or sanded styrene based?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joe122

Is GOL a thing? Groaning Out Loud? This is off to a good start. Is the hood radius going to be filler based or sanded styrene based?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stepped radius's will be sanded first, I need to see how close I am, there will be some filler so as to give it that sheet metal smooth transition from upper to lower stepped hood section.

joe122

Tackled the front fenders, kicked around a couple different ways to do them, went with a stacked / layered route using .080 for the outer section, filling the gap with .060.IMG_3025.jpgIMG_3024.jpgIMG_3020.jpgIMG_3022.jpgIMG_3023.jpg

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
I'd be curious to see what you did on the stacked pieces on the inside of the fender. I imagine starting to remove material from the underside has to be done carefully. Looks great.

Woodtick72

Its coming along nicely. Love the Divcos. Tried to buy one years ago. Guy wouldnt part with it. It sat for 7 more years, and one day I went by and a tree was laying on it. I was disappointed to say the least.

joe122

I'd be curious to see what you did on the stacked pieces on the inside of the fender. I imagine starting to remove material from the underside has to be done carefully. Looks great.
Yes, def took a while to trim away the excess. I'll post an inside the fender photo.

Nice curves. Cut, stack, grind. Thanks n00b! Molten chunks of styrene all over the place.
Molten is correct! Love when the melty blobs hit your skin! It's more effective that a shot of caffeine!!!

Its coming along nicely. Love the Divcos. Tried to buy one years ago. Guy wouldnt part with it. It sat for 7 more years, and one day I went by and a tree was laying on it. I was disappointed to say the least.
I have always liked them as well! As a kid they were from the Twin Pines Dairy - I can still see the "Owned and Operated By" custom sign painted lettering, just can't remember the operators name.

joe122

Tackling the roof I kicked around a couple different methods. I settled on the skeleton - cross-member route. Added the lengthwise 3/16" square strips to aid in keeping the curvature in the roof panel. Added the main center section w/.040 and filled in the sides, front & rear with strips. I am adding a couple photos of the inside of the front fenders, still just rough but after removing the excess they should function fine. Initial sanding is pretty promising. Now trying to figure out the bi-fold doors!!!IMG_3027.jpgIMG_3026.jpgIMG_3046.jpgIMG_3047.jpgIMG_3044.jpgIMG_3042.jpgIMG_3043.jpg