"The Steelhead" FJ40

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
Thanx again for the kind words. I'm really trying on this build.
I hope to get all the towers done by next weekend, but my worn hands will have the final say on when.

Oh well, off to bed.

M

MrRangeRover1996

this build is a true example of how rewarding, making your own parts can be. Its satisfying to know you've made a specific part yourself that works out.

from the frame rails, and now the shock towers...looking froward to seeing the next part creation by nigelpheron.

just like others on this forum, I learn and get ideals from other builds and i like to think that once in a while i come up with a ideal for other members and viewers.

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
this build is a true example of how rewarding, making your own parts can be. Its satisfying to know you've made a specific part yourself that works out.

from the frame rails, and now the shock towers...looking froward to seeing the next part creation by nigelpheron.

just like others on this forum, I learn and get ideals from other builds and i like to think that once in a while i come up with a ideal for other members and viewers.

Word!

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
oh, great. Another 'first build' that shames the whole community right out of the gate! :bowdown: Amazing custom work right here, people. All eyes are watching this one. :bugeyes:

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
Shames the community. Nah man. I'm only influentialy-copying you guys. I want a nice truck too.:laugh:

It's my first 1.9 scale build; but my R/C life, my 43rd R/C vehicle.

It'll be slow this week. I got the 3-other towers cut, but won't be filing it into shape. Fingers are too dry-cracked. They need rest. Can't even slappa da bass.:laugh:

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
Got them all done this morning, brazed them in the afternoon, and just assembled the parts.

10.jpg

ptchwrk1

lookin good! I really need to practice my metal skills. I' m always in awe of the work everyone does here.:bowdown:

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
Thanx guys.

Not just practice, but cut everything large, then file down to shape. It takes longer and is harder, but the stuff comes out nice.

M

matthewoliver

Great work, it makes me want to start building my own parts too. Better get the training on ;-)

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
Nice Birthday Present

There are many parts that I can't fabricate. Such as these whaling shocks:

11.jpg

Check this; I was talking to an old R/C buddy, about what ever topic. Then; because I got a new scaler to build, I told him I'm building a 1.9 scaler.

He says really? I just happent to these shocks, brand new, never been used. He runs 1/8 fast buggies, so he aint got no time for scaler shocks. I say what do ya want for them. He says, "Happy Birday".

Awesome Dude!:biggthumpup:

Thanx Pat.

And installed. They are wicked smooth:

12.jpg

street.terror

when do the shock towers go into production ;)

im going to have to start reading up on brazing, all this metal work is just incredible.

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
Thanx. The chassis is coming out ok. I'm very happy with the outcome so far.

Dude. Those towers were a pain to make. One really needs a CNC to produce those.

In fact; to any manufaturers out there equiped, ready to be brazed custom parts would probably be a hit.:biggthumpup:

Look up all the brazing info ya can, get the materials, and start experimenting. I'm glad I did, and pretty positive you will be too.
Parts come out so strong.

street.terror

well im nearly married to kick ass cnc programmer soooo... just have to wait for her to work her way up a bit and then she can make me parts out of scraps. hehehee