"The Steelhead" FJ40

Ax-hole

Supporting Member
Aw man, I have to admit that I'm a little upset that you painted all that awesome carbon work...... but even painted it looks super slick and you should be so proud of this masterpiece. Trully one of a kind and one of the best FJ models ever. Most styrene builds are not even close to this detail and to do what you did with the carbon is just unbelievable. One of the best builds ever in my book.

Well done sir, well done...(golf clap)::2thumbs

Headquake

...at the H.O.P.
We realize you still got a bit of work to do but....... we couldn't wait.

Welcome to the Guild's Finest Mr. fancy truck.
:beerchug:

Last edited:

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
THis is the best truck ever in the best category ever on the best forum ever. No one else has real fires. Ever.

Wrencher

congrats on making it in to the guilds finest. now the pressure is really on to get it done. LOL. just joking. fantastic build man.

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
Love the gas bud

I'm glad you do. I was hopimg to add something to the scale world, that I had not seen done.

You litterly just blew my mind. I'm speechless

Thanx. :beerchug:

Jerry Can Vid .... Awesom. Great idea ::2thumbs

Regards
Wolf

Thank you as well. :beerchug:

Aw man, I have to admit that I'm a little upset that you painted all that awesome carbon work...... but even painted it looks super slick and you should be so proud of this masterpiece. Trully one of a kind and one of the best FJ models ever. Most styrene builds are not even close to this detail and to do what you did with the carbon is just unbelievable. One of the best builds ever in my book.

Well done sir, well done...(golf clap)::2thumbs

I can here the golf clap. :laughing: Thank you for the praise. Alot of people wanted the carbon left raw, and it has it's place. I like the rusty look better, and left little hints of the material here and there. Subtle... I'm prowd of it. Been wanting a cool 4x4 eversince discovering this evolution of R/C. Scale is just too cool. :cool:

We realize you still got a bit of work to do but....... we couldn't wait.

My Christmas came early this year. Thanx big time. ::starstruck :beerchug: I'm going crazy waiting as well. Just 2 more things to do, and this build is done. I underestimated the challeng of building like this. The more scratch-building done, the more rewarding. But man does it gobble-up time.

Again thanx. When there's a driver made, it has to come and pay you a visit. ::D:

Welcome to the Guild's Finest Mr. fancy truck.
:beerchug:[/QUOTE]

:laughing:
Thank you kind Sir. "We need a Fancy Pants" emoticon.

I didn't see that coming.......lol. Congratulations! Well deserved Nigel!

Thanx man. I'm really glad it's nearly done. But then I'm sure future builds will frustrate & time-burgle me some more.

Aaah yes .... :beerchug: Congratulations!

Regards
Wolf

Thank you too. :beerchug:

THis is the best truck ever in the best category ever on the best forum ever. No one else has real fires. Ever.

:laughing: Thanks to your best parts, I'm sure it will last a long time. :beerchug:

congrats on making it in to the guilds finest. now the pressure is really on to get it done. LOL. just joking. fantastic build man.

Thanx you for your congrats. The fire is turned up now (pun intended), but it's up to the mailman now. :mecry:

Here is a bit more imagery:

Some micro steel-work. I gotta get glasses..

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Got some bigger batteries, so needed to make a bigger crate. Starts out with a glass fiber / epoxy structure, planked with stir-sticks and aged. Third crate I've built, and the method is refining.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

These bungees holt the lid on.

8.jpg

This bungee & 1/8" trim ribbon keep it in the bed, when the going gets crazy.

9.jpg

10.jpg

Enjoy the pics gang. ::D:

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
I was going to make a carbon fiber snorkle, but I'm done with make'n, so I ordered an RC4WD one. I'll glue it on for the final trail pose'n pics.

I chrow it away...

11.jpg

12.jpg

This is what happens, when you leave carbon fiber in a salty-air environment: :rolleyes:

DSCF0798.JPG

DSCF0803.JPG

DSCF0808.JPG

DSCF0790.JPG

DSCF0793.JPG

DSCF0797.JPG

Nearly done, nearly done...

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
waaaaaaaaaaaaaah!! this is amazing detail !! why do I only find this build now?! my bad!!!!

:laughing: Glad you you like it.

Absolutelly stunning build Nigel, Well deserved!

Thank you very much.

Good things come to those wait! Well deserved indeed!

Thank you too.

Couldn't agree more, well deserved for a truly inspiring build, top work Nige.:biggthumpup:

I'm happy there was some inspiration for you. :beerchug:

Whilst waiting for the last bits to arrive, I concocted something to store the recovery strap. I guess other tools or contraband could go in there as well:

48.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

Honger

Supporting Member
Love this truck... definitely worthy of the finest!

Did I miss some info on how you made those hood and window clasps? Would love to know more...

nigelpheron

Supporting Member

joe122

Just read the entire thread......just masterful. Incredible build quality, attention to detail is outstanding. Mesmerized!

nigelpheron

Supporting Member
Just read the entire thread......just masterful. Incredible build quality, attention to detail is outstanding. Mesmerized!

Glad you like it, and hope you get some ideas from it.

Speaking of ideas (more like reminders) from other builds ("Tango"), I realised I forgot to make pedals. They have they're flaws, but future wee boots will patially block them from view.

Check'em:

PEDAL 1.jpg

PEDALS 2.jpg