Toyota BJ75 Truggy - 2020 season race truck

LoopsModel

This project started back in early 2019 and should have been a race truck for 2019 season, but I did not have enough time and inspiration to finish it and also some other projects got priority. ;)

I always wanted a small truggy styled truck for competitions in C1 class. I chose BJ75 Hardbody from our production. The body is molded from experimental colourable material that is more flexible and can better resist rollovers. As axles I use Boom Racing Phat axles, the narrow version. Chassis is common MST CMX / CFX.

700px

Body fits the frame pretty well.

700px

Width is perfect.

700px

Finaly with the propper wheel and tire combo - 1,55 Loops Beadlocks, medium width version and 1,55 Pitbull Rock Beasts

700px

First I wanted to use CFX gearbox but then I decided to swith to CMX for better easier fitting of steering servo and servo winch.

700px

700px

Flex test - this is enough. :cool:

700px

The main issue was how to solve the rear part.. I wanted to weld a cage, but I am not good at welding and also cages are usualy heavy.. So I decided for some special and modified rear body for racing purposes. We got a few hour session with our main Loops designer and did this truggy rear end. Took 5 hours to design it and almost 18 hours to print it from PET-G material on Prusa 3D printer.. ::D:

700px

700px

700px

700px

Wrencher

This should be really cool. nice to see a new body turned into a cool truggy. Looks like you are off to a great start.

LoopsModel

This is how it was sitting first time on the chassis. :biggthumpup:

700px

First layer of paint.

700px

Now back to chassis. I had to solve the servo mounting, did not want to put it on axle because its not looking scale and you even get some extra points for chassis mounted servo in championship of Czech RC Adventure Scale Trophy. ::D:

700px

It will be working also as bumper mount. It is made from several layers of 3 mm black ABS plastic plates.

700px

Final product:

700px

700px

For links I used Boom Racing rod ends and, inox M4 size allthread rod and onox 4x6 mm tube - pretty heavy and slicky on rocks ::2thumbs

700px

700px

Put some super shiny LEDs into the bumper light spots. Bumper comes from CFX-W kit.

700px

All the electronics in its place. Decided to put Hobbywing AXE in it. Runs perfectly!

700px

Both halves painted now..

700px

700px

Yes you can see the rope of servowinch I completely forgot to capture... :lol:

700px

But you can see it in still uncovered wheel well..

700px

For the lines I used Molotow paint marker, it is amazing how easy it is to work with it..

700px

Molotow chrome paint for LED buckets..

700px

Time to make bed cover..

700px

It is made from a 1 mm styrene plate and will be covered by plastic diamond plate we produce in the Loops workshop.

700px

Glue is visible now because I use second grade quality diamond plate that was not pigmented enough.. but nothing to worry about, the paint will cover it ;)

700px

Rear winch fairlead and taking a measurements for modified rear universal lights also from Loops.

700px

Installed an interior I borrowed from my old Amigo, needed to put something inside before the first race and did not have enough time to make its own. It is a plan for the future. :luv:

Also I had to do a LED light set, I always do mine own, bought some super shiny warm light LEDs from my local electronic parts store and some resistors to set a proper light volume for each LED.

700px

And this is the result. Bumper lights are going to be operated by a transmitter, have enough free channels on my modified GT3 C 8 channel radio ::D:

700px

So this is how it looked a night before the first race two weeks ago. How do you think it performed? ::bigdrool

Small Factory

Fancy-Walkin'
This is great. These little MST chassis have a lot of potential it seems. Makes me happy to see you build this. I really dig the rear bed... great place to store the battery.

How do you like the Boom racing axles? Are they the same width as the stock MST axles?

Does anyone know if there is a skid plate available that one could run an axial 3-gear transmission on one of these?

LoopsModel

Great build! I'm sure, it performed well :cool:

Yes, you are right, it performed awesome! It won its category :luv:

700px

First race, no test runs.. very happy!

700px

700px

700px

700px

700px

This is great. These little MST chassis have a lot of potential it seems. Makes me happy to see you build this. I really dig the rear bed... great place to store the battery.

How do you like the Boom racing axles? Are they the same width as the stock MST axles?

Does anyone know if there is a skid plate available that one could run an axial 3-gear transmission on one of these?

I like MSTs very much, they are precisely build and can handle even rough driving when all is correctly assembled.

Rear bed is designed to fit battery, exactly as you say it is a great place. It can fit even 3200 mAh 3S Lipo for long runs and 1800 mAh 3S for short comps to save some weight. With Hobbywing Axe it can drive around 40-60 minutes with that 1800 which I can be happy with. :biggthumpup:

Booms axles are even a bit narrow compared to MSTs, around 6 mm less if I did correct measurements. I like them because of high weight and absolutely crazy steering angle and aslo their setup.

About the skid plates I saw some printable stuff on Thingivers, check it.. ;)

Oh wow, so much fun. I very much like the look of this.

Thanks a lot, hope you will like it even more, when its finished, currently working on it...

LoopsModel

Few weeks ago I was able to finish the design of this tiny truggy. I always loved TRD design and it would be shame to not do it when building a racing Toyota. :biggthumpup:

Good masking is important.. especialy when the car is completely finished with all the detail parts..

700px

700px

Tamiya masking tape did a great job.. :cool:

700px

700px

Didnt look bad at all!

700px

I used an Oracle foil for the stripes..

700px

700px

Took it outside for a practice race..

700px

Also added some decals..

700px

700px

700px

700px

Next stuff is to modify the gearbox plate.. Stay tuned.. :cool:

TLC

Scaled, but not fishy.
Awesome! :cool:
It's amazing how the simple addition of some colour can really change the look of a build. ::2thumbs

P.S - More Nissan Patrol's please...... ;):lol:

LoopsModel

Awesome! :cool:
It's amazing how the simple addition of some colour can really change the look of a build. ::2thumbs

P.S - More Nissan Patrol's please...... ;):lol:

Thank you! :) Yes there will be 2 more versions of Y60 series Patrol - 3 door and UTE, unfortunately, thinngs got a bit complicated in last half of a year.. :yikes:

Congratulations on the WIN! I like the final touches - TRD design too!

Thank you!!! :luv:

Looks Great Congrats on the win! Tell me more about this Oracle Foil you speak of?

Thanks. ;) Oracle foil is a self adhesive coloured foil used for full size car decals etc, I got some sheets as a waste material in my local grpahics + printer store, they do advertisements on cars, t-shirts, visit cards etc. And they are also cutting these foils for big graphics.

It is a good material to work with, easy cut, good sticking.. :biggthumpup:

LoopsModel

Some updates here.. With our main designer we decided to develope the new skid for the CMX gearbox that would offer more ground clearence. We used a Prusa 3D printer and ABS material for a prototype..

New version vs original part

700px

700px

700px

New position of upper links:

700px

700px

700px

And this is the result, flat middle part!

700px

700px

700px

700px

This is how it looked before:

700px

I am pretty happy with the result. Now this tiny Yota drives much better over bumps, steps and roots. Transmission went a little higher (+10mm I would say) but its nothing that would have any bad influence as I tested.

We are just working on versin nr. 2 that would let the transmission a bit lower and if all will work as should we would like to offer this part for everyone as a hard plastics one piece mold. :luv:

wesmade

Supporting Member
Very nice work, stuff like this is really cool. Love seeing those small tweaks to make things better.

Wes

LoopsModel

2020 season was very succesful for Land Cruiser Truggy. Two times 1st place, one time 3rd place = 1st place overall. :biggthumpup:

700px

So here is setup of the car that won 2020 RC Adventure Scale Trophy Series. I am putting it there to show how it looked like before NEW modifications. ;)

700px

700px

700px

700px

700px

Pretty full shelf :cool:

700px

Two pictures from last race in October.

700px

700px

Winter practise..

700px

700px

As you can see, BJ got a snorkel. ;)

700px

700px

700px

Now it is time for some upgrades for 2021 season of RC AST. Hope the Covid situation will make better before summer.. ;)

I plan to put second servo winch to the rear, rebuild front axle suspension, maybe some interior work.. Lets see.. :cool:

LoopsModel

SurlyBurly: It is molded plastics. We use high quality hardened polyurethanes for making bodies and all the parts. Usualy material is black but this one is white, it was a brand new material in that time I molded this body. ;)

Anyway, I had to add something to the BJ truggy to make it a bit different for the upcoming season. Fresh paint to 1.55 beadlock rims was the thing it needed!

Who would be interested, we sell those rims with specialy designed central rings for Pitbull tires here:

https://www.rc4x4-shop.com/1-55-Beadlock-Rims-MD-4pcs-Pitbull-Tires-Compatible-d322.htm

700px

700px